Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3,256 of 6,607
Went to Michael's today and got some sticky foam and sticky felt. Did Tyll's favorite variation of the Anaxilus mod, and the differences are extremely subtle, but the treble does seem the slightest bit improved. Maybe. Without ABing it is pretty hard to tell. The minor 6k spike may have become slightly more minor. Hmm.

Perhaps I'll try the more standard version that seems to be popular in the Anaxilus mod thread later. Either way, sounds good.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #3,257 of 6,607

Quote:
Went to Michael's today and got some sticky foam and sticky felt. Did Tyll's favorite variation of the Anaxilus mod, and the differences are extremely subtle, but the treble does seem the slightest bit improved. Maybe. Without ABing it is pretty hard to tell. The minor 6k spike may have become slightly more minor. Hmm.

Perhaps I'll try the more standard version that seems to be popular in the Anaxilus mod thread later. Either way, sounds good.

Nice to hear your impressions! :)

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,258 of 6,607

Quote:
Lyr is going to bottleneck the HD800s transparency.  BiFrost is pretty darned good for the money, just lacks full low end extension in the sub bass.  Maybe wait for impressions of the Schiit mid-fi amp.  There's the Apex Arete and Peak.  Eddie Current S7.  Woo WA6, WA2, WA22.  Donald North Sonnet.  John Willett likes his Grace m903, haven't heard it though...yet.  Bottlehead Crack Speedball.

Sweet, thanks for the recs. I'll check them all out

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,259 of 6,607

Quote:
I just did a little listening test using my M1HPA and HD 800 and switching constantly between USB input and the M1s built in DAC and my iphone 4 via the line in. They sounded almost identical with the only differences I could hear being the iPhone was ever so slightly smoother and less detailed. But it was very slight. 

Cool observation :) I guess the M1HPA built in DAC is either bad or the iphone 4 is really good :) 

The iPhone 4 is actually really good.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #3,262 of 6,607
Nice tip, should be added to the OP or somewhere easy to find.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3,264 of 6,607
That looks like just a regular silver Sharpie. to me.

It doesn't mention it on the packaging or anything but they do have tiny little metallic flecks in the ink that give it a reflective quality.  The ink is also very opaque.  They're great for writing on dark surfaces because of that since the "normal" colors just end up a slightly darker shade and are almost impossible to see without tons of direct light.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,265 of 6,607

Quote:
That looks like just a regular silver Sharpie. to me.

It doesn't mention it on the packaging or anything but they do have tiny little metallic flecks in the ink that give it a reflective quality.  The ink is also very opaque.  They're great for writing on dark surfaces because of that since the "normal" colors just end up a slightly darker shade and are almost impossible to see without tons of direct light.

Do a Google search.  Even from that image, you can see that it says "Paint."  These are oil-based.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,266 of 6,607
Quote:
Do a Google search.  Even from that image, you can see that it says "Paint."  These are oil-based.

I suppose so.  They sure don't smell the same as the other colors Sharpies and obviously has different properties but that doesn't really matter.

The last time I bought one it was in an office supply store and it was right along side all the other ones as if silver was just another color.  The ones I have share the same properties described but don't mention being oil based, say "paint" on it anywhere, and it have a normal Sharpie style tip and not the softer kind like on other paint pens I've owned.  That's what I meant by "normal"

Maybe its a new product or maybe they've just changed their packaging.  I assumed the later because it happens all the time

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #3,267 of 6,607

Quote:
I suppose so.  They sure don't smell the same as the other colors Sharpies and obviously has different properties but that doesn't really matter.

The last time I bought one it was in an office supply store and it was right along side all the other ones as if silver was just another color.  The ones I have share the same properties described but don't mention being oil based, say "paint" on it anywhere, and it have a normal Sharpie style tip and not the softer kind like on other paint pens I've owned.  That's what I meant by "normal"

Maybe its a new product or maybe they've just changed their packaging.  I assumed the later because it happens all the time

I'm pretty sure it's a different product.  Normal sharpies aren't oil-based and don't say "paint."  There's no reason for them to suddenly brand those terms on all sharpies unless changes have been made.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #3,268 of 6,607
Its not all of them.  Only the silver.  I have two just like in this picture.

Compared to the other Sharpies I have it clearly uses a different solvent since it smells different and the ink/paint is thicker than the "normal" colors but it's thinner than paint pens I've owned.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,269 of 6,607
You guys and your silly silver HD800s.. sheesh! :p

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,270 of 6,607

Quote:
Its not all of them.  Only the silver.  I have two just like in this picture.

Compared to the other Sharpies I have it clearly uses a different solvent since it smells different and the ink/paint is thicker than the "normal" colors but it's thinner than paint pens I've owned.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.  The marker he was referring to is oil-based and is labeled with "paint."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back