Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #3,241 of 6,607

Quote:

For sure, but he stated he didn't want to spend that much money on an amps. If we have the money, of course we'd get a WA2. If money is an issue, the Lyr/Asgard does fine.

I read he did not want to spend $3000.  None of those are $3000 combinations and there's quite a range from what I listed.  The Lyr just defeats the purpose of the HD800 IMO, it's fine as long one appreciates the Lyr will make the HD800 much more similar to its 'competitors' making it more difficult to appreciate the reason one even would have it.  I might even recommend the O2 as a cheap alternative over the HDP as a more neutral and cheaper alternative tbh.  My 2 cents.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #3,242 of 6,607
While I anticipate the Lyr to be the bottle neck in my chain when I get the HD800, I'm a bit skeptical of the degree to which it may hamper the HD800's performance. Surely there's a baseline level of performance that somewhat justifies the cost of this headphone. Something that doesn't require end game components to glimpse.

Anax, have you heard the Lyr with decent tubes? I'm certain it'll never come close to the detail monsters you're familiar with, but I suspect you may be spoilt by those components and overstating the inadequacies of budget options. 
wink.gif

I'm hoping Schiit delivers with their mid-tier components. Even with my modest setup I already feel knee deep in the diminishing returns quagmire. A headphone that requires more than that to sound decent is a joke imo.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #3,243 of 6,607

Quote:
While I anticipate the Lyr to be the bottle neck in my chain when I get the HD800, I'm a bit skeptical of the degree to which it may hamper the HD800's performance. Surely there's a baseline level of performance that somewhat justifies the cost of this headphone. Something that doesn't require end games components to glimpse.

Anax, have you heard the Lyr with decent tubes? I'm certain it'll never come close to the detail monsters you're familiar with, but I suspect you may be spoilt by those components and overstating the inadequacies of budget options. 
wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, anybody can prefer the 800 or whatever they want w/ the Lyr.  It just saddens me when you run into people putting the 800's on par w/ technically inferior phones or saying they 'have no bass'.  All symptoms of poor gear synergy we all have ready over and over again.  Just so you, I've talked w/ Jason qute a bit and am a fan of Schiit gear, especially the DACs.  I think the midrage amp will be quite a surprise to some for the money.  The Lyr was deigned w/ two things in mind.  Power delivery for Orthos and tonal balance.  Clarity and transparency were not primary considerations in the circuits topology regardless of tube choice.  Schiit even said as much in the Lyr thread awhile back.  Doesn't mean one can't enjoy the Lyr w/ the HD800 but seeing as clarity and transparency are the HD800s strength, pairing w/ an amp that doesn't play to it's strength just seems less than ideal in my view.  That's the only point I'm making.  I've seen people make much worse pairings w/ the HD800 for far more money so you could do much worse than the Lyr.  

And yes, I have been spoiled, no doubt.  More of a curse than a blessing tbh.  Hearing the HD800 from the PWD/Super 7 and WA5 was the most financially irresponsible thing I've ever done.  Over time, I've developed my own mental list of attributes I consider 'no-go' for my tastes and usually most phones and gear don't last more than 15-20 secs with me before I'm done w/ them.  Definitely feel free to take my thoughts with as many grains of salt as appropriate.   

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3,244 of 6,607
If LCD 2 are that colored and untrue to make bad recording sound good, I wouldn't even bothered using it to listen to just OK quality stuff. Audiophile never likes false rendition sound gear!
That's the beauty of the HD 800, it's a true audiophile headphone!

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,245 of 6,607
Quote:
Are you running the HD800 from the O2?  What's a V51 amp?  Google doesn't seem to know either.

I used both.  The V51 is a custom designed, single ended, OTC tube headphone amplifier.  I think there are 3 in the world, 2 of which are under construction, so that's probably why Google doesn't know about it.  

smile.gif

In performance, I would put it between a WA-6SE and WA22.

Quote:
I have issues with toslink from my MBP skipping mid-song with the Bifrost. It causes the Bifrost to lose sync and click non stop. When it manages to get through a track or two, I'm struck with a more involving and clearer presentation, with better dynamics compared to the warmer, more upfront (but less coherent) presentation of usb. I've just tested the Bifrost's optical input using my PS3 as source (different toslink cable). Same clarity and imaging, but with a slight digital edge. Thankfully no skipping or clicking, eliminating the Bifrost input as the source of the problem. I'll be ordering a glass Siflex toslink to mini toslink cable to test with the MBP.

The Bifrost's usb implementation is good, but its optical input is much better imo. It's particularly evident with my rev.2.

Agreed that optical's presentation sounds more even-handed.

Quote:
While I anticipate the Lyr to be the bottle neck in my chain when I get the HD800, I'm a bit skeptical of the degree to which it may hamper the HD800's performance. Surely there's a baseline level of performance that somewhat justifies the cost of this headphone. Something that doesn't require end game components to glimpse.

You would be surprised how mediocre the HD800 is capable of sounding.  I heard it once at J&R World here, and it was abysmal.  I don't mean to equate that to your system, just sharing that it is possible to reach subterranean levels of suck.  I would think you've managed to extract as much transparency from the Bifrost and Lyr as you had with the FUN or your 10SE, or I guess you wouldn't have sold them.  If that's the case, you should have more than just a glimpse into the HD800's capabilities.  I do agree with Anax though on a whole, those two aren't the first things that come to mind when thinking of an ideal HD800 system, even if on a budget. 

Quote:
If LCD 2 are that colored and untrue to make bad recording sound good, I wouldn't even bothered using it to listen to just OK quality stuff. Audiophile never likes false rendition sound gear!
That's the beauty of the HD 800, it's a true audiophile headphone!

It isn't that dramatic, sorry.  It's more like a good tube amp vs. a good solid state amp.  

I have heard treble-heavy speakers and treble-heavy live music and the content is always more fatiguing on headphones.  So sometimes I think that's the appeal of LCD-2s for many.  The sensation of not being fatigued does more for them in sounding real than an unshelved treble does.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #3,246 of 6,607

I have been putting some hours on the HD800 where I can start making comments. First and foremost the synergy with the Decware CSP2 is outstanding. Bass is  very tight and extended. I have found no spike in this pair so maybe last time the lower serial number had something to do with it not sure but this pair is not offensive in any way and I am very impressed so far and also very satisfied so much so all boxes were put in storage.  So far I have no complaints at all and am really enjoying this headphone. No matter what I have thrown at it it has excelled.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,247 of 6,607
Quote:
You would be surprised how mediocre the HD800 is capable of sounding.  I heard it once at J&R World here, and it was abysmal.  I don't mean to equate that to your system, just sharing that it is possible to reach subterranean levels of suck.

I've heard the the HD800 out of crazy custom tube amps and cheap Chinese combo units back to back and I've never really heard that.  Next time I get a chance I'm going to try it it straight out of a DAP or something...

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3,248 of 6,607
In my opinion, HD800 has a huge potential. The more high-class amp you will use with them the better sound you will get. Lyr is a great choice for it's price (especially with good tubes) and it sounds good with HD800. And if you are planning to buy a better amp in future Lyr is OK for HD800 as interim increment (as it was for me). But if you don't plan it, then I wouldn't recommend you to buy HD800 as they will not show even half of their potential with Lyr!

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,249 of 6,607

Quote:
Edvard Grieg, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Wagner, Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Boccherini, Charles Gounod, Handel are all good.I just want some higher quality recordings...

I can hear the bad quality especially with Piano pieces. There seems to be hisses everywhere and the lack of clarity is appalling. 

Look HERE - I recorded all the first 5 CDs on the list.  They were simple 2-microphone recordings with no messing around.  The mics were the new Neumann digital microphones, so the noise floor is extremely low.  I also recorded the Chopin Nocturnes CD that is lower down on the list.

If you don't like these I'll shoot myself.

John

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,250 of 6,607
I've heard the the HD800 out of crazy custom tube amps and cheap Chinese combo units back to back and I've never really heard that.  Next time I get a chance I'm going to try it it straight out of a DAP or something...

I wasn't making a particulariy practical point, as it will be a challenge for anyone here to do as bad as a cheap receiver connected to a 50 headphone splitter, but it does speak to the "baseline" thing Olor1n mentioned.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,251 of 6,607
Quote:
I wasn't making a particulariy practical point, as it will be a challenge for anyone here to do as bad as a cheap receiver connected to a 50 headphone splitter, but it does speak to the "baseline" thing Olor1n mentioned.

50 headphones in parallel, a distribution amp with 50 outputs, or do you know?

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,252 of 6,607
I just did a little listening test using my M1HPA and HD 800 and switching constantly between USB input and the M1s built in DAC and my iphone 4 via the line in. They sounded almost identical with the only differences I could hear being the iPhone was ever so slightly smoother and less detailed. But it was very slight. 

Cool observation :) I guess the M1HPA built in DAC is either bad or the iphone 4 is really good :) 

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #3,254 of 6,607
Hey guys i was detailing and cleaning my HD800 and when it came time to cover up the scratches I found the Sharpie Paint Oil Based Extra Fine Point marker to match up pretty darn close.  I forget to take before pics but yeah it covers up the chips and scratches pretty well.  It was $4 at Michaels Craft and Arts.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,255 of 6,607

Quote:
Hey guys i was detailing and cleaning my HD800 and when it came time to cover up the scratches I found the Sharpie Paint Oil Based Extra Fine Point marker to match up pretty darn close.  I forget to take before pics but yeah it covers up the chips and scratches pretty well.  It was $4 at Michaels Craft and Arts.

Was it the metallic one or non-metallic?  My HD800 is still in pristine condition but who knows what might happen these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back