Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 5, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #2,506 of 6,607
So I have my new beautiful HD800s here with my asus essence one, and after 3 weeks I am pretty certain that the E1 isnt running the hd800s at its full potential. It sounds good, but i know it could sound better, sounds too 2D compared to what the Lehmann sounded like.

Contemplating matching the Audiolab M-dac with a later purchase of a WA amp, not sure which yet.
Other option is move to a Lovelycube for now, experiment more, swap dac later.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #2,507 of 6,607

Quote:
So I have my new beautiful HD800s here with my asus essence one, and after 3 weeks I am pretty certain that the E1 isnt running the hd800s at its full potential. It sounds good, but i know it could sound better, sounds too 2D compared to what the Lehmann sounded like.

Contemplating matching the Audiolab M-dac with a later purchase of a WA amp, not sure which yet.

The head amp section is pretty nice out of the MDAC ~ it would not do the HD800 real justice, but it's quite a nice
 sounding head amp on an already established DAC for $1000

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,508 of 6,607

Quote:

I have the Lehmann BCL driving my HD800 right now and I'm quite happy with the combination.  My current DAC is the HRT II+ which is also great for the money but I still feel like the HD800 would benefit from an upgrade from the HRT.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,511 of 6,607

Quote:
Technically superior to the T1 which is already a step above the T5.  Do you feel like the T5 is worth its price tag?

I do 
smile.gif
 T5p

Hands down the best full sized portable friendly headphone out there for me - bit bright though but that suits
 my taste.

Quick, transparent, a little clinical sounding and isolation is 'so-so' but still a better headphone than the
 Ultrasone Ed 8 to my ears.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,512 of 6,607
Hey guys! Just wanna hear ur opinion about the combo with the burson HA-160ds.. I know its not the best thing for the hd 800 but how much of their potential will be unused in that case? I've found a great (atleast i think its great) price for that package here in Spain for 1400e. What do you think about it? Is it worth it? I might consider buying lcd2 down the road coz i've heard they sound great with burson.
Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,513 of 6,607

Quote:
Technically superior to the T1 which is already a step above the T5.  Do you feel like the T5 is worth its price tag?

Out of curiosity, how do you come to such a conclusion? How can anyone decide whether Dynamic, Orthos, Tesla etc etc is more "technically" superior? Imo you really can't. It's down to personal opinions and flavour. There isn't some standard that constitutes a perfect headphone really. Add to that, the type of music one listens to tends to change any notion of a standard anyway.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2,514 of 6,607

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you come to such a conclusion? How can anyone decide whether Dynamic, Orthos, Tesla etc etc is more "technically" superior? Imo you really can't. It's down to personal opinions and flavour. There isn't some standard that constitutes a perfect headphone really. Add to that, the type of music one listens to tends to change any notion of a standard anyway.

The HD800, T1, and T5p are all dynamic headphones.  By technical superiority, people generally mean detail extraction, imaging, etc.  It's definitely possible to say which headphones are more detailed and it has nothing to do with sound signature preference.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,515 of 6,607

Quote:
The HD800, T1, and T5p are all dynamic headphones.  By technical superiority, people generally mean detail extraction, imaging, etc.  It's definitely possible to say which headphones are more detailed and it has nothing to do with sound signature preference.

x2.  Some may have a priority on certain parameters over others but technical capability is largely unrelated to signature preference IME.

To the above poster, I'm not a Burson 160 fan but it sure is pretty.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #2,516 of 6,607

Quote:

^ this.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #2,517 of 6,607
I decided to upgrade from my hd580s (after 8-9 years of heavy everyday use), yesterday as I got a super deal, only 1,328.95 USD in a store (wich means I can afford to eat until my next paycheck :D).

My eardrums are kinda hurting after 10 hours of listening as the sound feels very sharp atm, but I'm guessing that will get better after a few hundred hours. 
If my memory serves me correct, the treble was really sharp on my hd580s the first hundred hours.

They are super comfy, but they do fit more snuggly on the head than the hd580.

I'm positive I'm gonna be very happy with with my purchase from what I've heard so far.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #2,518 of 6,607

Quote:

Problem is, that is a very vague and loose term. What sort of detail retrieval? LCD2's have better all round low end detail and texture retrieval. T1's have better Mid bass and sometimes high detail retrieval. HD800's have more sub bass (compared to the T1's, not LCD2's) and sometimes high detailing. Imaging again, is totally up in the air depending on the music. If it's faster paced music, or more modern, generally the T1 will retrieve more out of it, if it's slower paced or of a more orchestral nature, the HD800 will. 

Point is, you cannot say the HD800 is more 'technically' superior to the T1 or the LCD2 really. Like I said, they aim to achieve different things. On top of that, one mans acute detail is another mans harsh treble, one persons excellent sub bass prominence is another mans loss of higher frequency detailing. You could perhaps argue that the Stax 009's are more technically superior to any of the above headphones, but only because they are more detailed across the board in all respects, not just one in disregard for another such as with the comparisons above.

I think your claim is an inaccurate one. I say this after having auditioned all three of the aforementioned cans.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2,519 of 6,607
I have no problem w/ the HD800 and modern or fast rock music.  It kills every T1 I've heard in any technical sense on the optimal rigs I've heard them with.  I consider the HD800 being only good w/ Classical a fallacy.  Sounds like another setup where the HD800 is made to sound 'on par' w/ other dynamic counterparts.  Ambient details, inner resolution, etc. all fail on the LCD2 and T1 by comparison.  I will admit the LCD2 has very good low end resolution but you have to deal w/ the rest of it depending on which version u have.  No comment on the LCD3 as both sets I've heard sounded equally unappealing for me.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #2,520 of 6,607

Quote:
I have no problem w/ the HD800 and modern or fast rock music.  It kills every T1 I've heard in any technical sense on the optimal rigs I've heard them with.  I consider the HD800 being only good w/ Classical a fallacy.  Sounds like another setup where the HD800 is made to sound 'on par' w/ other dynamic counterparts.  Ambient details, inner resolution, etc. all fail on the LCD2 and T1 by comparison.  I will admit the LCD2 has very good low end resolution but you have to deal w/ the rest of it depending on which version u have.  No comment on the LCD3 as both sets I've heard sounded equally unappealing for me.

You misunderstand. It's not people saying the HD800 is ONLY good with those types of music, just like saying the T1's are ONLY good with faster types of music, rather, it just means the cans prefer those kinds of music genre's. And the differences I mentioned are not only one's I speak of from personal experience (I took a fully burned in pair of HD800's for audition only a few weeks ago and posted impressions and a small comparison between the T1's, since I initially planned to swap over but in the end never did), but on top of that, they are WELL documented differences expressed by numerous Head.Fi supremo's who actually own all the cans mentioned, and have detailed comparisons between them. Add to that, the same sentiment has been expressed by other reviewers, professionals etc too.

My guess is, you simply have not compared the two cans (or three if you count the LCD2's) enough to take note of such differences. A lot of the time, to really pin point them, you need direct and immediate continuous A/B comparing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back