Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #2,191 of 6,607

Quote:
Got my HD800's today. ... I know what these transducers can do and they are absolutely amazing in everyway.  I've tried to like the HE6 and LCD2 as much being an Ortho fan but no synergy yet has been able to impress me like the HD800 did w/ the right amp(s).

My HD 800s really woke up with the right amp, for me a Luxman P-1u. It's the overall warmth of the Luxman, I think, that works so well with the 800s. Amp and phone together are just plain astonishing, IMHO.

May 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #2,192 of 6,607

Quote:
My HD 800s really woke up with the right amp, for me a Luxman P-1u. It's the overall warmth of the Luxman, I think, that works so well with the 800s. Amp and phone together are just plain astonishing, IMHO.

I agree the P-1u is great with HD800, and it was every bit as warm sounding as my ZDT but with a slightly sweeter sounding treble (I was using a Tung Sol 5751).  I've got a quad of matched Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 left over from my Woo GES, and I'm thinking of splitting up the quad to use one with the ZDT and see how much better it can be.  But for now the ZDT is my favorite amp on hand with HD800.  The P-1u was better enough to warrant a change.

May 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2,193 of 6,607
I will also say from experience that the right synergy is key. With my current Violectric V200 amp, the HD800 never at all sounds too harsh or sharp, yet still wide open and clear with plenty of detail with plenty of low end. Of course no amp is going to make it into something like a LCD-2 and it may still be too "airy" or "thin" to some people's tastes, but its overall sound signature is definitely possible to balance out with a right rig.

May 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2,194 of 6,607

Quote:
I will also say from experience that the right synergy is key. With my current Violectric V200 amp, the HD800 never at all sounds too harsh or sharp, yet still wide open and clear with plenty of detail with plenty of low end. Of course no amp is going to make it into something like a LCD-2 and it may still be too "airy" or "thin" to some people's tastes, but its overall sound signature is definitely possible to balance out with a right rig.

Believe it or not, it can do rich and thick if called for w/ the right synergy.  At least to a natural yet dynamic point which is all I'd ever want.  I was rather shocked by that.  The flexibility and capability of the transducer is what really sold me despite eying the orthos.  I also felt it would be easier to fix the few issues I had w/ the HD800 compared to some of those on the other phones.  

May 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,195 of 6,607
I've listened to them all and for the money combined with the right (imo) Chris Ivan Tube amp being fed from new iMac into JK mod Hi Face into the mod (op-amps/tube,etc.etc.) Eastern Electric Dac,sucking HI-Res tunes you, or should I say (I) haven't heard a Headphone sound as "real" as the HD-800's plain and simple...They go as Deep and as High as I need to start my feet dancing and we won't have to mention the purest Mid range!!!  BUT, the LCD 2 people will say they don't go deep! The HE-6 people will say the top end is light and they surely won't play as loud, etc. etc. But lucky for us that's why they make all the different types (the right one for the right persons ears and taste)....That says a lot about our Industry....Oh! I didn't forget the STAX people... We don't need to go there,(read "outstanding") I've loved them and also have thought nice but no thanks.......So see WE should all be Happy!!
wink.gif

May 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,196 of 6,607

Quote:

Synergy seems to be the critical issue here. The HD800 had a somewhat dry-ish edge to it when I powered it with a Benchmark DAC1 USB. Not unpleasant by any means. But imperfect. Amps really make an extraordinary difference; with a more sympathetic amp it becomes almost a different headphone altogether. I barely recognize the HD800 I'm hearing now as the headphone I was hearing just a few weeks ago, pre-Luxman.

May 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,197 of 6,607

Quote:
I've listened to them all and for the money combined with the right (imo) Chris Ivan Tube amp being fed from new iMac into JK mod Hi Face into the mod (op-amps/tube,etc.etc.) Eastern Electric Dac,sucking HI-Res tunes you, or should I say (I) haven't heard a Headphone sound as "real" as the HD-800's plain and simple...They go as Deep and as High as I need to start my feet dancing and we won't have to mention the purest Mid range!!!  BUT, the LCD 2 people will say they don't go deep! The HE-6 people will say the top end is light and they surely won't play as loud, etc. etc. But lucky for us that's why they make all the different types (the right one for the right persons ears and taste)....That says a lot about our Industry....Oh! I didn't forget the STAX people... We don't need to go there,(read "outstanding") I've loved them and also have thought nice but no thanks.......So see WE should all be Happy!!
wink.gif

I have a similar setup and I have to agree with you about the sound.

Quote:
Synergy seems to be the critical issue here. The HD800 had a somewhat dry-ish edge to it when I powered it with a Benchmark DAC1 USB. Not unpleasant by any means. But imperfect. Amps really make an extraordinary difference; with a more sympathetic amp it becomes almost a different headphone altogether. I barely recognize the HD800 I'm hearing now as the headphone I was hearing just a few weeks ago, pre-Luxman.

I love the transparency of these headphones.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2,199 of 6,607
^ How long did it take?  I'm awaiting mine.....

People seem to just make a freq table and plot the values starting at a baseline.  That is easier to process IMO.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #2,200 of 6,607
My new pair's (#9311) plot looks almost identical to Parrot's. The old one (#3406) had a slightly higher 8KHz peak, but was otherwise the same. I posted that graph here earlier.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2,201 of 6,607
I'm starting to like the soundtrack of The Da Vinci Code after listening it through HD800.  I thought most of its tracks were average but HD800 revealed a bit more details (background music).  

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2,202 of 6,607

Quote:
 and request the frequency chart?

Doh, should have read the manual.

Okay, so I've spent too much time again looking on the Senn website and have yet to find where I can get my frequency chart.

Months ago I registered, but never did get a chart in the mail.  Am I missing something?

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #2,203 of 6,607

Quote:
I think mine is one if the new ones as at the time I got this the dealer was out of stock and sent me mine about 3 weeks ago as soon as he got more in.
The chart only took a week or so to get to me.
I've never been one for full sized headphones but I'm loving these.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what kind of cable you will come up with for these, it's sure to be drool-worthy after seeing your portable creations.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,205 of 6,607

Quote:
I'm very dissapointed in these after burning them in, the bass is now non existent where before burning them in there was a good quantity and impact and now it has just gone.
Can anyone suggest anything to give then a good bass boost.

These Headphones IMO are like a High End Speaker, they need the right amplifier, and the right supporting equipment! I prefer my custom made (Chris Ivan) Tube amp which he designed with the gain, output etc.etc. for these headphones.....But my Good friend Bubu1 uses the Headroom balanced amp with the external power supply with the matching UDac and they sound exceptional.... If I may ask what did you have before the HD800's.... and what were you expecting?  When you get to this level of headphones including some other cans, matching your other equipment will have a huge effect on most of their sound and frequency range......Remember this is just mo and response from the several prs. with different systems, that I've listened to and they go low enough for me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back