Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 1, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #541 of 6,607
I guess its just me, but I see "Don't believe the bad rap, buy our $1400 item and try it for yourself" as pushing the product. I just think the time for "buy this" is over and they should not be posting in the impressions thread.

The hype time was before release, they did their job, now I look to see the views of the head-fiers especially in the impressions thread. Not the reps and stuff still trying to push their product.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #542 of 6,607
so far, i have listened to these albums.

41GwoI2HANL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51KaG3zUi4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51MkmRoSNZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41C31VW7YCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51Y6TQZCS7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #543 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hysteria is the greatest recorded rock album of all time....no question....Mutt is a genius

I'm a Pyromania man
L3000.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #544 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue is the best color. Forget the other ones. None of them come close. Paint your house blue, dye your clothes blue, the other colors don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Just stating the facts.

I like blue too
wink_face.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #545 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess its just me, but I see "Don't believe the bad rap, buy our $1400 item and try it for yourself" as pushing the product. I just think the time for "buy this" is over and they should not be posting in the impressions thread.

The hype time was before release, they did their job, now I look to see the views of the head-fiers especially in the impressions thread. Not the reps and stuff still trying to push their product.

Several experienced Head-Fiers posted positive impressions early on about the HD 800. I don't think the vendors did much in the way of hyping these cans, beyond what is reasonable at least.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #546 of 6,607
Upon further listening with the HD800 today with the Apache, I find the HD800 to be very neutral. The soundstage is no match for the K1000 but what does? Even so, the width and depth of the HD800 is very impressive. Nothing really jump out at you when you listen to the HD800 but everything sounds just right.

When I a/b a balanced SA5000 with the HD800, I found the SA5000 to be a terrible headphone. The tonality of the SA5000 was totally off, everything sounds plasticky with a very thin and shrill treble.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #547 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like blue too
wink_face.gif

"I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

I have a blue house with a blue window.
Blue is the colour of all that I wear.
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too.
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue.
Blue are the people here that walk around,
Blue like my corvette, it's standing outside.
Blue are the words I say and what I think.
Blue are the feelings that live inside me."

Heheheh....sorry couldn't resist!

Anyway, back to the topic!
600smile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #548 of 6,607
Seems that HD800 are going the same fase as K701 at the time
and if you just look at some reports then you understand that 300 hours of burn in is what they need to open up. So guys, burn them down as quick as possible and let us know, what ever they are...

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #549 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I a/b a balanced SA5000 with the HD800, I found the SA5000 to be a terrible headphone. The tonality of the SA5000 was totally off, everything sounds plasticky with a very thin and shrill treble.

Do the HD800's trump the SA5K in speed and detail, as well?

The Sony's are still the fastest and most microdetailed dynamic I've ever heard, so if the HD800 trumps them in these domains as WELL as providing a more natural tone and body, then that will justify their pricetag IMO.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #550 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the HD800's trump the SA5K in speed and detail, as well?

The Sony's are still the fastest and most microdetailed dynamic I've ever heard, so if the HD800 trumps them in these domains as WELL as providing a more natural tone and body, then that will justify their pricetag IMO.

I can't tell as I spent about 20 seconds with the SA5000 before I decided that it was crap.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #551 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell as I spent about 20 seconds with the SA5000 before I decided that it was crap.
tongue.gif

I can.
wink.gif

I own two SA5000's for over two years and now I have HD800 in my stash. The speed and detail is about the same IMHO. Whereas you are dead on that HD800 has much netural/natural tonality. SA5000 has a flaw in its design in sound aborption with the ear pad, I think, where a very noticeable echoy, plasticky, weird tonality is hard to tame. But it has many other great qualities so it has been and still is one of my favorite cans. I modded to death of my first SA5000 trying to fix this problem, then bought a second one to compare with as non-modded. HD800 fixed the problem and added more sound stage. I am very happy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #552 of 6,607
I will be posting lots of reviews from CanJam (which was awesome, go see my thread in the CanJam forum) but for now I just want to say this:

If it weren't for Todd getting me my HD800 before CanJam, I would have returned them. They are (by far) the most amp-specific headphone I have ever heard. They are in a different league when balanced, but some single-ended amps sounded almost as good. And in many ways (and quite possibly overall, in my opinion) beat out the HE90 and R10, although the R10 on Blubliss' system was a wonder to behold.

My favorite amps in all of CanJam for the HD800 are (and I listened to them on at least 40), in order of preference:

1) Sonett, by Donald North Audio (single ended or balanced versions available, but I only heard it single-ended so I can't even imagine how well it will sound with his balanced amp, which he claims is a true balanced output but only has RCA inputs). This one stole the show for me (and for my girlfriend! and she's very picky
biggrin.gif
), and considering it's price it is a no brainer (single-ended and balanced output versions are the same price, $1300, or $1000 for anyone who attended CanJam). Not only superb with the HD800 but with every headphone I heard it with. It's a tube amp but sounds more like solid state, with the richness and organic qualities of tubes.
2) RSA B-52 (balanced) $5,500
3) RSA Apache (balanced) $2,995
Tied for 4th) Woo Audio WA22 (single ended) $1,800, ALO Audio Amphora $1,000
5) Woo Audio WA6SE (single ended) $1,150?
6) Rudistor RPX-300 (although I only heard this in single-ended. It's presentation is very different than any other, it's very smooth and refined.) $2,500

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #554 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be posting lots of reviews from CanJam (which was awesome, go see my thread in the CanJam forum) but for now I just want to say this:

If it weren't for Todd getting me my HD800 before CanJam, I would have returned them. They are (by far) the most amp-specific headphone I have ever heard. They are in a different league when balanced, but some single-ended amps sounded almost as good. And in many ways (and quite possibly overall, in my opinion) beat out the HE90 and R10, although the R10 on Blubliss' system was a wonder to behold.

Thanks very much.....now i will buy these headphones and run them with Silvercore 812A amps

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #555 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moonboy403: Any comments about how the HD800 compares with W5000?

I commented on how I was initially disappointed with the HD800 due to its clarity. It was based on a/b-ing with my W5000. I sincerely think that the W5000 has better clarity and sounds more lively with sparkles in the treble. On the other hand, the HD800 has a more meaty mids while having a slightly wider and deeper soundstage but I feel that the W5000 is more organic and holographic in some sense. Imaging and instrument separation are excellent on both. Balance wise, the HD800 gets the nod as the W5000's bass is on the lean side even though it's wonderfully defined while the HD800 has more impact.

You can definitely say that the W5000 is colored but pleasantly so which is highly dependent on the listener. Some people hate the W5000 and some, like me and Ken at ALO, love how the W5000 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back