Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 31, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #406 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by seniordingdong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a big "burn-in" guy.

You can have your belief system, but the fact is any moving-coil, electro-stat or iso-dynamic driver benefits from the drive "flex" that loosen the suspension mechanism and as a result transients are faster and bass is deeper. It's measurable and audible in several ways!

May 31, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #407 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can have your belief system, but the fact is any moving-coil, electro-stat or iso-dynamic driver benefits from the drive "flex" that loosen the suspension mechanism and as a result transients are faster and bass is deeper. It's measurable and audible in several ways!

I never said it didn't exist.

May 31, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #408 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the Denons are euphonic and the 800's neutral, as someone has stated, but right now, the 800's are not doing it for me.

I'll give you fifty bucks for 'em.
atsmile.gif

May 31, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #409 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by seniordingdong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the 800s sound terrible with Headroom's top of the line setup, why would they be showing off their gear with them?

And they didn't sound "flat". They were very unnatural in the upper mids/top end. Hard and harsh.

I don't know, i only tried them on one of the amps, not sure which one, for one song and was disillusioned with the sound, i couldn't believe the difference from what i had heard at home. There were some things there today i didn't get as far as companies matching things that didn't work well.

Edit- By the way i have nothing against Headroom and i think Tyll is totally cool, just didn't like that match up, thought you couldn't see the potential of the 800s with it.

May 31, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #410 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, i only tried them on one of the amps, not sure which one, for one song and was disillusioned with the sound, i couldn't believe the difference from what i had heard at home. There were some things there today i didn't get as far as companies matching things that didn't work well.

Interesting. Well, I'm sure at some point I will hear them again through a different rig. But until then, my experience today was enough to extinguish any interest in them. Which is probably a good thing. Though I did hear some other impressive cans today...

May 31, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #411 of 6,607
One very basic question here, people are talking about underpowering the HD800, and the need for a powerful amp. In terms of pure numbers or specifications, what are the important factors to be considered for an amp to adequately drive these phones? Also, tubes or SS?

May 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #413 of 6,607
From some of the impressions of the pre-production models, it seemed that any reasonably decent amp would be enough to power these but now it seems we're hearing otherwise (e.g. "one of the most amp dependent phones in history"). It's starting to look lke my GS1 won't cut it.

May 31, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #414 of 6,607
I thought single ended HD800 sounded very good on Headroom Ultra Desktop...
I don't think HD800 improves significantly with balanced setup like it does on HD650...
I don't think it's as amp dependent as HD650...
Overall, I was pleased with HD800, but I don't think I'll be purchasing it at $1400...I think the excessive build-up of "hype" regarding this headphone is actually going to end up hurting its initial reception...although it really is a very good headphone...just not as revolutionary as I thought it was going to be...

May 31, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #415 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From some of the impressions of the pre-production models, it seemed that any reasonably decent amp would be enough to power these but now it seems we're hearing otherwise (e.g. "one of the most amp dependent phones in history"). It's starting to look lke my GS1 won't cut it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that but i would say to hear it on the GS1 first. I heard it on the Mieir Symphony today and though that worked well, PJs by the way, only we used the jack that was working, the other one didn't sound a good at all. I didn't like it all that much on the Luxman P-200 but whether that was an amp issue or a dac issue i don't know. It was troublesome though because Solid State wise i had been thinking about the P-1...although i think the P-1 is a step above the P-200.

So best bet is to try a listen with your amp if possible. Personally i think the tubes seemed to drive the 800s better but it is not good to generalized too much in that you get proven wrong then the first time you turn around.

May 31, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #418 of 6,607
i had a listen yesterday at canjam, can easily say that while the hd800 are great, they are definitely not what all the the hype has made them up to be. comfort-wise, i like it. there is like this big hollow area just for your ears, making a nice big sound champer and the pads touching your heads are not BIG or thick that it bothers you. now the sound compared to the hd600 and hd650 is definitely more clearer and different, with more emphasis on the mid and upper frequencies, however it is just like listening to balance armature in IEMs. the sound is just not....realistic for me. though lemme say that i am saying this after being spoiled by listening to stax omega mk1 and sennheiser orpheus haha

May 31, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #420 of 6,607
I like HD800 a lot!

For the past a couple of days, I've been auditioning HD800, driven by B22, against HD600, HE60, HE90, SA5000. It is certainly up there on the top in terms of overall sound quality. It is dead neutral yet NONE artificial or "un-naturalness" can be detected by me at least. The finesse and balance is superb! I have cans that have more bass impact, more airy, more musical(whatever that means), but few can touch HD800 in overall quality.

I wouldn't trust much on the impression over at Can Jam where the environment is not optimal for auditioning.

HD800 is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back