Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 13, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #1,306 of 6,607
If that's the adapter I'm thinking of (iStudioLink 1/4" to 1/8" Audio Adapter), it is a mono to stereo adapter (for plugging a guitar into the computer input for use with modeling amps, Garage Band, etc.)

You don't want to use that adapter for headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But this one is better and won't cause strain:

f256323.150.jpg

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #1,307 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's the adapter I'm thinking of (iStudioLink 1/4" to 1/8" Audio Adapter), it is a mono to stereo adapter (for plugging a guitar into the computer input for use with modeling amps, Garage Band, etc.)

Ok, I wasn't sure because it didn't say anything. But yes it is that one.

The other adaptors I posted pictures of didn't say they weren't stereo. There were others that said they were mono, but I didn't post those for obvious reasons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #1,308 of 6,607
Just got my HD800 and tried it for 5 hours. First impression is the wide wide soundstage. Sound is a bit tight at this point but slowly improves while listening. I also have HD650 and K701 for comparison. In terms of soundstage HD800 > K701 > HD650. The same goes for detail. However, the bass of HD800 is not as full as HD650. Or should I say the bass in HD650 is too full
smily_headphones1.gif
Will post more comparisons after HD800 is fully burned in.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,309 of 6,607
61eBL2dcnLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

HD800 Bal Voice v. K701 Bal Black Dragon

this will be short. the HD800 trounced the K701. i didn't think the differences would be so stark, but they were. in sum, the bal 800 had

* clearer sound, more audible voices, better resolution - the K701 seemed blurry by comparison;
* better layering and separation - the music was compressed on the K701;
* much larger sound stage - the sound stage on K701 seemed small indeed;
* superior bass - no contest here;
* fuller and richer sound - the K701 sounded thin;
* was a more engaging experience, with better rhythm and flow - the K701 was not very involving by comparison.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #1,310 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting side by side right comparing the Sony R10s (Bass Heavy) and the HD800s, preparing a review.........Granted my amp is subpar for this sorta thing (its merely a Larocca PRII MKii...... i know laughable to some for this sorta comparison) but my DAC is world class MSB Platinum DAC III.....really really good dac.........I would have a better amp but my money was taken and never returned by Single Power Audio.

The first thing I want to say is that there is NO better here. The HD800 are basically a different flavor of the same quality of greatness that the R10 has. I would imagine that in a back to back listen the R10s would come out more favorable for a few reasons. One they have slightly more bass emphasis and I think the common person really does like bass.....however I prefer the HD800's bass presentation by a considerable margin for being tighter and having a quicker transient response (which is almost like saying tighter anyway)......Another reason the R10s would be prefered is maybe cause they're closed they lock you into the music more. And I have to admit, they are slightly more comfortable, and have a more expensive woody look to it.

That said, the HD800 may be a slightly better headphone (I know I said there are no better here), but we're talking splitting hairs even if I were to proclaim one as better. The HD800 has a wider soundstage, and can image slightly better. The tone is not as gorgeous......I have to think that no headphone will ever again possess as beautiful a tone as the R10. But the sound feels more real, more airy somehow.

If you have an R10 which you already probably have spent at least 5 grand on, do yourself a favor and eventually check out the HD800.......it's an amazing purchase. Wait for the second run of the headphone when they figure out the spring creek issue.
I have the feeling that had I had a better amp, my opinion the R10s would be even more favorable than the HD800......this is why I am hesitant to put up my long review on the matter.....I feel I'd be jipping people if I use a 2 world-class headphones, a 7,000 dollar DAC and a 500 dollar pocket amp, so I'm debating about my longer review. But those are brief impressions for ya

Thanks for your impressions DavidMahler
smily_headphones1.gif
. I understand where are you coming from with your impressions without a better amp. Overall though the flavor of the HD800s sound great. I can't wait to eventually pick up a HD800s and spend some time with them.

Jun 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #1,311 of 6,607
Got my HD-800 today.

No creak or external flaws.

However the right side wire going into the phone, seems to be loose. If pulled on the wire the audio will go out on the right speaker.

Any ideas on how to fix. I can't seem to unplug the wire like I did on my HD-650 from the headphone.
How would I remove the wire from the right side speaker?

My HD650 did the same thing when I first changed the cord. I just didn't have it plugged in far enough.

Thanks.

ss

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #1,313 of 6,607
Ok I got it. Just pull strait out, holding onto the metal part at the end of the cord that goes into the phone (speaker).

To reinstall. Line up the grove that's on the end of the cable that you pulled (male metal) out and line the grove up with the grove inside the female metal plug that is inside of the phone (speaker) .

np now. All is good.

ss

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #1,315 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

this will be short. the HD800 trounced the K701. i didn't think the differences would be so stark, but they were. in sum, the bal 800 had

* clearer sound, more audible voices, better resolution - the K701 seemed blurry by comparison;
* was a more engaging experience, with better rhythm and flow - the K701 was not very involving by comparison.

Nice follow up and good catch! I had such an emotive experience from a piece of Music I hadn't heard for a few years this evening. Totally enveloping, deeply immersing, I was forgetting the rhythm of breathing and it would slow and stop for just a moment....then gasp, and continue! Balancing and tubes (heresy from me) are what the Chief of Medicine ordered.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,316 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has HD800 got softer treble than HD650 ?

From my first impression, the treble may or may not be softer than the HD650, it all depends on how the audio you are listening to was mastered. The HD800 are very exacting. What goes in comes out.

ss

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #1,317 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

vcoheda, I went out and bought The Postal Service after your mini impression, just out of curiosity. I’m just lovin the music. Keep the impressions coming, if only for the music!

Thanks
John

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #1,318 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd advise anybody seriously thinking about getting the HD800 to get the July issue of STEREOPHILE and read the review. Whether you agree with mags or not, it adds an interesting mainstream angle to things.

I read the review today and mostly agree with Wes' comments. He did end up a bit wishy-washy, but consider that Phillips has probably not heard as many phones and combos as the typical head-fi'er (not surprising). Really, headphones are probably not an area of tremendous expertise for him, though he iss probably more conversant than most mainstream reviewers. So it would be reasonable to be a bit circumspect in your conclusions under the circumstances.

What I found strange was the comment at the end about their pricing. According to his "associated equiment", he has a Shunyata Hydra (a filtered power strip) that averages (depending how many plugs you get) around $1000, Shunyata stealth metacarbon interconnects, around $3000/meter, about $5000 worth of Shunyata power cables, an Ayre Acoustics C5xe player, about $6000, a $100k plus speaker system (YG ACOUSTICS ANAT REFERENCE) etc etc. To be fair, I am sure he doesn't actually own all this stuff outright. And the purpose of this is not to bash, just to point out that in the rarified air (ayre?) of audiophiles, a pair of HD-800 are not outrageous.

And if, as seems likely, the HD-800 settles into the first rank of phones, they will be cheaper than most any of the other "heavyweight contenders" at their original list other than the K-1000's, and this is in 2009 money!

Hey, $1400 bucks is $1400 bucks, a serious chunk of change, I understand. I consider myself most fortunate to be able to swing them. But it's certainly not an absurd amout of money in context.

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #1,319 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have one look like this that comes with hd650, it converts perfectly stereo to stereo from 1/4 to 1/8

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #1,320 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godziltw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my HD800 and tried it for 5 hours. First impression is the wide wide soundstage. Sound is a bit tight at this point but slowly improves while listening. I also have HD650 and K701 for comparison. In terms of soundstage HD800 > K701 > HD650. The same goes for detail. However, the bass of HD800 is not as full as HD650. Or should I say the bass in HD650 is too full
smily_headphones1.gif
Will post more comparisons after HD800 is fully burned in.

the bass is what i wanted to find out in this discussion as well. i can't move away from the 650 nice bass yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back