Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #931 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else think the clamping force of the 800s is a little much? I may be used to the D7000s, which completely but gently conform to your head, but there is definitely less padding on these than the 800s and I find it's bothering me.

Maybe it'll loosen up.

I find that the D7000's are very uncomfortable, the HD 800's are quite comfy in my opinion did you adjust the band to make a loser fit?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #932 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkRegion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the D7000's are very uncomfortable, the HD 800's are quite comfy in my opinion did you adjust the band to make a loser fit?

I did. I found the D7000 extremely comfortable, except for the fact the earpads got warm. To each their own I guess.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #933 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict,i see you have the EF-1 amp.
if you will ever get the chance please try it with your HD800,it will be interesting for all the poor people like me hehe, who cant afford an amp that costs more the 300$ to see how will it sound.
thanks.

The HD800 sounded nice off the EF1, but a little brighter than I like when used with the newer EF2. The EF2 is more suited to the HD600. You will certainly be able to enjoy them with the EF1 is you have a decent source and music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to stock balanced with Furutech 701 (now surplus, and will list FS soon), but decided to not waste time A/b, though the APS is 'better'. I am not here to sell anything. My preference has always been APS (my entire chain is APS), so I just use it and enjoy. Too many moving pieces at the moment to say anything definitive about one variable, much less take the time to burn in two seperate cables.

There will be a meet in a few weeks, where others can weigh in on the delta - just a moot issue for me. Besides, the hd800 doesn't 'look finished' until it has those rhodium Furutech 601.
wink_face.gif

It is the value of the whole, not just a sum of the parts.

It would still be greatly appreciated to have some more in depth impressions
of the HD800 with APS V3 vs the OEM stock cable, if you would be so kind as to indulge us a little. (balanced or SE doesn't matter) Thanks!

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #936 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your effort HeadphoneAddict.
that's good news after reading HD800 would sound like crap on any amp that costs less than 1000$.

At the show, Fang was running the 16 ohm HE5's proto with this amp! Now you can see why...very stable. Great reports from Ray's Amps...stable with any load, any impedance. PJ mentioning the DNA....output Z 120ohms...configured specifically for the High Z. There will be many others I'm certain but they will have a common theme.

The fastest, most extended Headphone in History ain't gonna live on the EF-1.
The Amps, and the owners that pay for them, will want the best available they can find for the monies outlayed. It's nice that some guidelines are being drawn-up and panic doesn't have to ensue when a new owner finds his or her amp ain't gonna work, and they don't have to spend a fortune for the phone to burp properly!

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #937 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who has re-terminated the stock cable to XLR? How simple is this do do?

Might wanna drop this in the DIY forum, where Nate might weigh in. I know it took Alex a bit to do, but here are a couple of observations about the cable itself: The sleve cut with regular wire cutters, so, it is _not_ indestructible kevlar, and whatever the stuffing is melts with flame, so it is not teflon nor cotton, for whatever that is worth.

Oh, and the wire is 32 gauge (or less), so working with it might be a bit of a challenge. Gamerphile pulled one apart, so maybe he can weigh it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #939 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are only a few impressions here and not really negative. Even if they are best ever to some they will not appeal to everyone. Opinions of all headphones are mixed. The K1000 and R10 are my favorites, but plenty of folks don't like them. Doesn't make them any less appealing to me. Audio is a personal thing. Whats good for me with my music and my system may be crapola to someone else. Thats why I didn't pre-order. For such an expensive item I want to try before I buy.

canman, then you are going to like em!!!!!

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #940 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would still be greatly appreciated to have some more in depth impressions of the HD800 with APS V3 vs the OEM stock cable, if you would be so kind as to indulge us a little. (balanced or SE doesn't matter) Thanks!

On the weekend I will spend some time with the stock cable (already reterminated balanced), BUT it will be from the perspective of the APS v3 as a baseline, not the other way round. The v3 is a very well known quantity to me, but it really will be a couple of weeks for an honest comparison, and to see how it performs with even better upstream components.

I really prefer folks determine cable value for themselves, not based on my input. If something is lacking in these cans, I agree source and amp first, THEN cable.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #941 of 6,607
If I try the HD800, and trial it against my Stax Omega, am I - and are you - getting caught up in what Barry Schwartz writes about in his book, THE PARADOX of CHOICE: Why More is Less?:

"The result of having pleasure turn into comfort is disappointment, and the disappointment will be especially severe when the goods we are consuming are 'durable' goods, such as cars, houses, stereo systems, elegant clothes, jewelry, and computers. When the brief period of real enthusiasm and pleasure wanes, people still have these things around them - as a constant reminder that consumption isn't all it's cracked up to be, that expectations are not matched by reality. And as a society's affluence grows, consumption shifts increasingly to expensive, durable goods, with the result that disappointment with consumption increases.

Faced with this inevitable disappointment, what do people do? Some simply give up the chase and stop valuing pleasure derived from things. Most are driven instead to pursue novelty, to seek out new commodities and experiences whose pleasure potential has not been dissipated by repeated exposure. In time, these new commodities also will lose their intensity, but people still get caught up in the chase, a process that psychologists Philip Brickman and Donald Campbell labeled the hedonic treadmill. No matter how fast you run on this kind of machine, you still don't get anywhere. And because of adaptation, no matter how good your choices and how pleasurable the results, you still end up back where you started in terms of subjective experience."

So is this a fool's game?

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #942 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the show, Fang was running the 16 ohm HE5's proto with this amp! Now you can see why...very stable. Great reports from Ray's Amps...stable with any load, any impedance. PJ mentioning the DNA....output Z 120ohms...configured specifically for the High Z. There will be many others I'm certain but they will have a common theme.

The fastest, most extended Headphone in History ain't gonna live on the EF-1.
The Amps, and the owners that pay for them, will want the best available they can find for the monies outlayed. It's nice that some guidelines are being drawn-up and panic doesn't have to ensue when a new owner finds his or her amp ain't gonna work, and they don't have to spend a fortune for the phone to burp properly!

Yeah, just trying to be honest.
smily_headphones1.gif
My Opera was $1300 and I think it sounds average at best with the HD800, but not good enough for my ears to give it the time of day (but for the D5000 and K702 it's superb). But yes, the DNA for $1200 (balanced or SE models) or $1000 for anyone at CanJam is the best deal of the century with the HD800, since in my opinion it even outperformed the $5500 B-52. DNA was using a Naim transport with it, I'm not sure which model but he said it was $2900.

I'd still love to hear it with a balanced B22, and of course the Audio-gd Phoenix when I get it. But right now my heart is set on getting a DNA Sonett. It just sounded so freakin' good. It had such amazing control over the bass and the treble was crisp and so extended.

But "Dallan" listened to my HD800 in my rig with the Opera and he thought it sounded pretty good, better than many other amps he listened to the HD800 with, so I guess everyone has different ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #943 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some moving parts on the hand-built HD 800, so yes, expect a little bit of noise as a result of moving them, but moving the parts aggressively will certainly increase the amplitude of those noises. If there are any questions about components or quality, be certain to get in touch with me by email so that I can have it documented. We welcome customer feedback and input so please share it with us!
smily_headphones1.gif

Eric Palonen
epalonen@sennheiserusa.com
Sennheiser USA

Eric,

Sent you a email and also uploaded another video of the noise. It doesn't really matter how aggressively or softly I move the cups once they reach that certain point in the swivel they make the noise see the video below for reference:
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #944 of 6,607
Just got the HD800's that I ordered from Headroom (#276). Listening to them out of the box, the beat any headphone I own hands down. Of course, I don't own any other headphone in that price range. They are phenomenal. I could sell off all my other headphones and be happy (I don't think I will necessarily do that but I could...
tongue.gif
). Since they are just out of the box, I am going to let them burn in before I give any more impression than that.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #945 of 6,607
I'm a little disappointed with the stock cable. It doesn't seem very substantial compared to my SAA equinox and APS V3 cables for the 650. I was just on the APS site and noticed Alex mentioned the wire being only 32 gauge. What. I was hoping with all the talk about the improvements in the stock cable that I wasn't going to have to drop more change on a replacement. At least the price of the APS V3 for the 800 is only an additional $50 over the original APS V3. I would love to have the SAA since I really enjoy it on the 650, but the mark up on the new 800 cables from SAA is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back