Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #586 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cuz this is a senn HD800 thread perhaps?
biggrin.gif

sorry, couldn't resist

Okay, you made a good point!
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #587 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....just reading a German posting where a guy who owns the Sennheiser Hd-800 said that they need a lot of burn in .He said that this is the perfect headphone without any weakness but you have to burn them a lot.He said that the bass will get better over time and is now great.

How on earth...?
confused_face_2.gif

The HD 800 isn't yet available in the market of its origin - btw very poor policy of Sennheiser IMO!
mad.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #588 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Because he likes tham and is posting what he feels?

No, because he is saying absurd things like "these are teh best headphonez evah, throw away all your other headphones!" and "hysteria is the best rock album ever produced, bar none!"

That's over the top.
wink.gif

Quote:

I'm not allowed to say what I think about them, all I'm doing is stating facts.

Why are you posting in a thread about people's impressions, then?

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #589 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I only look at all the pictures from Sennheiser factory and afterwards at the scary pictures from Grado cellar "Labs"....

Sennheiser has a big R & D, in contrast to Grado, and I think, the investments are massive and the risk is high, especially for an all new technology in headphones.

So you said it right there: you are paying mostly for their own "labs," factory, R&D, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what you want to do. If you want to pay, say, $700 for a pair of headphones and then $700 more to the company just so you can be comfortable with the labs they have, that's your choice, and like I said there's nothing wrong with it. But personally I fail to see how it matters what the lab looks like where the headphones come from. Other companies have proved that's not necessary. And maybe that's why I'm so resistant to these headphones. If grado can do the same or better for half the price, I don't really care what their labs look like.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #590 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite amps in all of CanJam for the HD800 are (and I listened to them on at least 40), in order of preference:

1) Sonett, by Donald North Audio (single ended or balanced versions available, but I only heard it single-ended so I can't even imagine how well it will sound with his balanced amp, which he claims is a true balanced output but only has RCA inputs). This one stole the show for me (and for my girlfriend! and she's very picky
biggrin.gif
), and considering it's price it is a no brainer (single-ended and balanced output versions are the same price, $1300, or $1000 for anyone who attended CanJam). Not only superb with the HD800 but with every headphone I heard it with. It's a tube amp but sounds more like solid state, with the richness and organic qualities of tubes.
2) RSA B-52 (balanced) $5,500
3) RSA Apache (balanced) $2,995
Tied for 4th) Woo Audio WA22 (single ended) $1,800, ALO Audio Amphora $1,000
5) Woo Audio WA6SE (single ended) $1,150?
6) Rudistor RPX-300 (although I only heard this in single-ended. It's presentation is very different than any other, it's very smooth and refined.) $2,500

Very interesting. Did you have a chance to listen to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear? Prof. Sennheiser claims that this is their favorite headphone amp. The also used them at their Europea press events.

I know you have Jan Meier's Opera as I did. You wrote that you find this amp less convincing for the HD 800.

Quote:

My Corda Opera is great with my D5000 and K702, but just average with my HD800.

Did you allready tried the HD 800 with the new Symphony from Jan Meier? I personally think the Symphony is a huge step coming from the Opera.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #591 of 6,607
Quote:

1) Sonett, by Donald North Audio (single ended or balanced versions available, but I only heard it single-ended so I can't even imagine how well it will sound with his balanced amp, which he claims is a true balanced output but only has RCA inputs).

Balanced out but no balanced input?
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #592 of 6,607
Any other impressions of the hd800 and the TTVJ 307a?

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #593 of 6,607
Quote:

....just reading a German posting where a guy who owns the Sennheiser Hd-800 said that they need a lot of burn in .He said that this is the perfect headphone without any weakness but you have to burn them a lot.He said that the bass will get better over time and is now great.

Just wondering why manufacturers can't burn in their headphones directly, especially for models costing so much. This could even avoid negative reviews due to insufficient burn in time...
Personally, I hate "consuming" my amp's tubes just because headphones need tons of burn in to sound at their best...

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #594 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering why manufacturers can't burn in their headphones directly, especially for models costing so much.

How much extra would you be prepared to pay for this? Extra staff, extra room, etc., etc..... It all costs money.

Quote:

This could even avoid negative reviews due to insufficient burn in time...

Headphones going to reviewers would, I hope, be burned in before being sent to the reviewer.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #595 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hysteria is the greatest recorded rock album of all time....no question....Mutt is a genius

Wow. That is scary.

Quote:

That is even scarier..

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #596 of 6,607
Quote:

How much extra would you be prepared to pay for this? Extra staff, extra room, etc., etc..... It all costs money.

Headphones going to reviewers would, I hope, be burned in before being sent to the reviewer.

Unable to calculate how much it would cost, but I'd gladly pay up to 100-200$ to immediately have my headphones at their best. I know some amp manufacturers let their products burn in before shipping, and the cost is included in the amp's price. Now, it's obvious that Sennheiser usually works with different product quantities, still...it could be done and would be a bonus for the product (at least for those who can understand the value of burn in). But it's not a rant against Sennheiser: I know no manufacturer which does this.
Was thinking more about end users reviewing here, not about professional reviewers. I'm pretty sure manufacturers are intelligent enough to burn in their products before giving them to a professional reviewer. But I wouldn't underestimate the influence ppl posting on forums like this could have on potential buyers. Some simply don't believe in benefits of burn in, or don't know about it:they just get an headphone and "aaah, it's harsh, it's dry, it's unbalanced, will send it back". Even if there will ever be ppl who simply won't like the HD800, it's a matter of taste and applies to every headphone. From reports here, it looks like I'll really like them, and it looks like I luckily own one of the amps which seem to pair best with them. Now if only I could get mine. Silly that a german product is available in the USA before than in Europe (or in Germany, at least).

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #598 of 6,607
Quote:

I'm pretty sure manufacturers are intelligent enough to burn in their products before giving them to a professional reviewer.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't be so sure about that..... not so long ago, some manufacturers denied ANY effect of burning-in on their headphones.
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #599 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Did you have a chance to listen to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear? Prof. Sennheiser claims that this is their favorite headphone amp. The also used them at their Europea press events.

I know you have Jan Meier's Opera as I did. You wrote that you find this amp less convincing for the HD 800.

Did you allready tried the HD 800 with the new Symphony from Jan Meier? I personally think the Symphony is a huge step coming from the Opera.

Hi Richter Di, i wouldnt overrate these amp choices. The way i see it, and i'm here since 2003 and have heard dozens of amps: Most people on head-fi are looking for coloration in their amplification, especially for headphones in the broad "neutral" category. So tube amps, amps with output transformers and balanced amps are very popular.
I guess that Prof Sennheiser likes to listen to his headphone and not his amp, so he likes the Black Cube Linear.

From most HD800 posts till now and earlier posts regarding headphones like the K701 or W5000 and especially the K1000, people are just looking for the biggest "wow" effect to mate their headphone with. This has nothing to do with how well controlled a headphone is. Just how much of a, for the particular listener, pleasent coloration it introduces to the audio signal so that it makes "click, thats it!" in the head of the listener.
Thats a perfectly allright way to choose your amp but it just doesnt say anything about these amps quality.

Sorry i couldnt help you any further but i would be surprised if the HD800 sounds much different on any of the uncolored solidstate amps (Black Cube, Symphony, Lake People G100, SPL Phonitor etc).

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #600 of 6,607
Quote:

But they do make a FR chart per driver :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back