Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4,666 of 6,607
Just did another comparison between the HD 800 and LCD-3 and have to admit that pretty much every time I've done that the HD 800 gets my vote. On the occasions that the HD 800 seems a bit bass light to me, the HD 600 has not yet failed to step in and saves the day. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Then I switch back to the HD 800 and can't help but affirm how awesome it is. Bliss!

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #4,668 of 6,607
Quote:
I was wondering if the HD800 present a black background like planar magnetic cans or does the HD800 sound similar to the HD650 in that regard?

To me, planars such as the LCD2/3 present a much blacker background than the HD 800, which by comparisons sounds very, very clear and a definite step up from the HD 650 (and LCD-2/3) in clarity.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4,669 of 6,607
What describes a 'black background?'   Is it very fast decay?  If so, HD800 should have faster decay than LCD-2.  Is it raw speed and detail?  I thought everybody has said HD800 is more detailed than LCD-2.

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,670 of 6,607
I feel people use the phrase "black background" intending different meanings. I have yet to see a proper definition of it. 

For me? It's the effect/quality of subtle sounds being produced out of thin air in the soundstage...and in this regard, the HD800 is tops IMO.
I'm not sure what others mean by a "black background" except in the context of amps and DACs, where it refers to a low noise floor.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4,671 of 6,607
Quote:
I feel people use the phrase "black background" intending different meanings. I have yet to see a proper definition of it. 

For me? It's the effect/quality of subtle sounds being produced out of thin air in the soundstage...and in this regard, the HD800 is tops IMO.
I'm not sure what others mean by a "black background" except in the context of amps and DACs, where it refers to a low noise floor.

To me, when used in relation to headphones/audio equipment, 'blackness of background' refers to the apparent perceptiveness of silence when listening. The LCD-3 to me has a darker/blacker background sound which for me points to silence more closely and readily than something like the relatively brighter/'whiter' HD 800. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4,672 of 6,607
I can't see it meaning any other thing besides fastest decaying vs a certain noise floor or signal/noise ratio of noise floor of an amp.

As to why people use 'black background' for those hard to dampen planar magnetics is beyond me.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4,673 of 6,607
Update from earlier - switching between the LCD-3/HD 800/HD 600, my ears and gut keep pointing me to the HD 800 for pretty much everything I feed them. My appreciation for the prowess of the HD 800 is growing by the moment. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4,674 of 6,607
Quote:
Update from earlier - switching between the LCD-3/HD 800/HD 600, my ears and gut keep pointing me to the HD 800 for pretty much everything I feed them. My appreciation for the prowess of the HD 800 is growing by the moment. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I love both headphones, can't go wrong wither way with the HD800s or LCD-3s. But have you considered whether your Lavry DA10 is not optimal for power hungry orthos?

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,675 of 6,607
Quote:

This was my thoughts as well - like the Gilmore amps ie GS-1

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4,677 of 6,607
Quote:
I love both headphones, can't go wrong wither way with the HD800s or LCD-3s. But have you considered whether your Lavry DA10 is not optimal for power hungry orthos?

Honestly, no. But I'd sure love to hear what a more powerful amp could do for the LCD-3. FYI: I'm not listening above ~70-75 dB due to ear-ringing I've experienced in the past, which I want to keep to a minimum. I might give the LCD-3 another quick listen at a louder level before returning it though. 
smile.gif

It's mainly the LCD-3's relative lack of treble prominence that keep pointing me to the HD 800. They're both incredible headphones but for me the HD 800 is definitely my consistently current favourite.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #4,678 of 6,607
Quote:

Honestly, no. But I'd sure love to hear what a more powerful amp could do for the LCD-3. FYI: I'm not listening above ~70-75 dB due to ear-ringing I've experienced in the past, which I want to keep to a minimum. I might give the LCD-3 another quick listen at a louder level before returning it though. 
smile.gif

It's mainly the LCD-3's relative lack of treble prominence that keep pointing me to the HD 800. They're both incredible headphones but for me the HD 800 is definitely my consistently current favourite.

Power doesn't just give you MOAR dBs, but can drive the headphones better too. Tighter bass, more liquid mids and can extend treble. Just something to consider too. And orthos really respond to MOAR power. Can the LCD-2/3 sound good under 1W, sure...but they do improve with more.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4,680 of 6,607
Quote:
With my short time having this amp, I'd have to put the Bryston BHA-1 up there with the Gilmore amps in this department.

Cool....looking forward to hearing one.

Do you find the blackness doesn't change even when you crank the volume to 100%? (Obviously without any music playing
smile.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back