Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #451 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my first HD800 listen, I first prepared by listening with my HD600 on the Balancing Act (Sat AM) for a minute or two and was really liking the sound. Then I switched to the HD800I was struck by the improvement in soundstage, extension, detail, and speed. The HD800 make the HD600 sound slightly veiled in the same way an RS-1 or Stax Lambda series will do to the HD600 in comparison. But, without the colorations in mids or treble of the RS-1 or Lambda series.

It wasn't an OMG moment like the first time you hear an R10 on the RSA B-52, or an HE90 on an A-10 or ES-2 - but after just a minute or two the R10 starts to sound a little bit like a closed can, and the HD800 keeps chugging along sounding natural and real and "open". The R10 are very fun and dynamic, but not as open.

I'll take the HD800 anyday over an R10, modded Denon, modded Edition 9 or any other closed can simply due to the unfettered uncolored open and transparent sound, regardless of whether my first impressions is more stunning with the other cans at first listen. I listened to more HD800 on more rigs at CanJam Saturday than any other headphone except my HD600 and K1000. I am confident that the HD800 are simply going to grow on me and get better and better with time, while the other dynamic cans will start to sound more flawed over time.

So you listened to the HD800s on a Balancing Act.
*smirks*
Seems like I'm going to be very happy then once everything is put together.

May 31, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #452 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadStrong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone paired the HD800s with a HeadRoom Desktop - either balanced or SE? I'm using a balanced with 650s now and would like to know if it works well with the 800s also. Pabbi1 - looking forward to your impressions of the balanced V3 cable.

I have an HD800 coming mid next week and will be using them with my single-ended HR Ultra Desktop Amp / DAC. I'll be sure to let you know.

May 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #455 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any review on the Balance Act, anyone?

As soon as Craig is back home..his phone will ring and he will be taking my order for the Balancing Act.

May 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #456 of 6,607
I let the HD800 run for twelve hours on a healthy dose of inter-station hiss.

Plugged in to the Phonitor and Merry Christmas. This is an instant classic in the Headphone World.

My only qualm (and it's small) is that it needs juice to enjoy it's balance, soundstage and dynamics. It won't win awards as a low level phone. This is actually not comparable to any one existing Headphone, this phone, I believe will become the yardstick that other FUTURE phones may be judged.

Sennheiser has a winner but we, as a community, will have to suffer the "Best Amp for the 800's" threads.

May 31, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #457 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any views on how the HD800 compares with the Denon D7000?

HD800 walked all over the markl modded D7000, IMO. The D7000 in contrast sounds shrill, claustrophobic, and lacking detail and refinement.

I now think that Markl's claim of the original markl modded D5000 is better than the R10 is absolutely absurd.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't win awards as a low level phone.

You actually reminded me that I had the impression where the HD800 doesn't sound good at all when the level's too low. It shines when you reach a certain volume.

May 31, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #458 of 6,607
Quote:

As soon as Craig is back home..his phone will ring and he will be taking my order for the Balancing Act.

Congratulation re: getting a Balancing Act. Could you let us know how it sound and compare to other amp, say Zana or Woo? Many thanks!

May 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #459 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulation re: getting a Balancing Act. Could you let us know how it sound and compare to other amp, say Zana or Woo? Many thanks!

Yup, this is going to be a big purchase, but it's focus is on balancing the 800.

I'd love TTJV's 307A (another yardstick to measure by) but the B.A. is less expensive. Todd and Pete need a big hand for that Bad Boy!!

May 31, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #460 of 6,607
Quote:

Yup, this is going to be a big purchase, but it's focus is on balancing the 800.

I'd love TTJV's 307A (another yardstick to measure by) but the B.A. is less expensive. Todd and Pete need a big hand for that Bad Boy!!

How does the HD800 work/sound with the phonitors crossfeed? Does it (phonitor) keep it's high transparency or does the HD800 reveal slight shortcommings/colorations of the cf implemention when switching it on?

May 31, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #462 of 6,607
crossfeed coloration from the phonitor? thats new to me

Also since when can't we be 'impressed, or wow'ed' by realistic sound? I was blown away when I heard the O2 on a nice rig, and the k1000 etc. not really the most colored headphones out there, but yet I was 'wow'ed'!

And Moonboy, how loud is that volume that they start to work? Compared to other heapdhones also?

Cheers

May 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #463 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
crossfeed coloration from the phonitor? thats new to me

See the phonitor thread, i was one of the first phonitor owners here on head-fi. It's easily the most transparent crossfeed currently avaible in hard or software. However with the AT W5000 and A2000x i could detect very subtle and minor colorations when switching it on. Just curious if the HD800 will show these too because of it's uncoloring nature. I couldnt detect anything on the K702 for example.

May 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #464 of 6,607
(to below) you'r right, we should stay ontopic
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #465 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'v never noticed it on my K1000, I did notice that the volume goes abit lower when you turn on crossfeed, which gives the illusion of less great sound (but I tested it, and it is indeed an illusion).

I'm not referring to the change in volume. But let's move that over to the phonitor thread to keep it ontopic here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back