Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,886 of 6,607
Quote:
I have Schiit Asgard, first I wasn't convince that this $250 amp can drive this hd 800.  But it took me couple of weeks of listening it's really great amp. it's great way to start with this Schiit. 

What difference did you find the Asgard made to the sound of the HD 800? 

May 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,887 of 6,607
I can attest to the following inexpensive amps with the HD800:

• Crack with the speedball upgrade, which is highly recommended.
  • Objective2 with LM4562 as the input opamp (no need to change output)

Source is also important and YMMV. Don't expect jaw dropping resolution, but it will sound pretty good.

May 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3,888 of 6,607
Quote:
I can attest to the following inexpensive amps with the HD800:

• Crack with the speedball upgrade, which is highly recommended.
  • Objective2 with LM4562 as the input opamp (no need to change output)

Source is also important and YMMV. Don't expect jaw dropping resolution, but it will sound pretty good.

Thanks, Purrin.

Do you know how the did the crack + speedball affected the sound HD 800 in relation to how it would sound from a very neutral source?

May 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3,889 of 6,607
Tightens things up with less goo. The Crack is pretty tubey, which helps take the edge off the HD800s. The speedball lets the HD800 do its articulation thing better. Unless you like goo.

May 2, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #3,890 of 6,607
Quote:
I know the looks are pretty divisive but I think it looks great - photographs well at least (warning: image is large).

No, it looks great!; Make it bigger next time! New desktop wallpaper.
It's solely pictures like this that make me want to go out and buy a Nikon D800. Just so I can make my own *incredibly* high res Desktop photos /
36Megapixels omnomnom-nommy... Ahem, nuff said.

May 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #3,891 of 6,607
I got the HD800s a few weeks ago and listened to them for a few hours and was very disappointed. I had two weeks to return them (or so I thought) and I only listened to them from time to time to see if I liked them better but I mainly listened to my HE-500s. 

After two weeks I contacted the seller and he told me I couldn't return them. I had completely misread the return policy on their website. 

However, after he told me I couldn't return them I started listening to them more and more, and, surely, I started to like them more and more. 

I went away for a week to visit my parents in another country and could only bring my Fiio E10 to drive them. It was far from perfect, but it made me fall in love with these headphones. 

I got back today and got to listen to them through my Lyr again, magical! I put my HE-500s on, and to be honest, I much prefer the HD800s now. I doubt my HE-500 will get much head time at all. 

It's very hard for me to describe the differences since English is my third language and my audio-related vocabulary is very limited but the HD800 is just so much clearer. The detail and the soundstage are simply spectacular. I just feel so much closer to the singer with these on. Voices aren't so distant anymore. 

Also, I mentioned that I thought the HD800 was lacking bass the other day. Now I think that all the headphones/IEMs I've tried have way too much bass. One exception though: for techno and music like that, the HD800s aren't ideal, but I don't listen to that stuff too much anyways so I don't mind. 

Anyways, I'm glad I couldn't return these headphones. :) 

The HD 800 are accurate and neutral and just do it "right".

If you are used to more coloured headphones you will likely find the HD 800 quite bland on first listening.

But persevere and listen for a while - then go back and listen to the other headphones and you will suddenly realise how coloured they are and how good the HD 800 are - and you then will only want the HD 800.

I found this effect with both the Orpheus and the HD 800.

Posted from my iPhone

May 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #3,892 of 6,607
Quote:
The HD 800 are accurate and neutral and just do it "right".
If you are used to more coloured headphones you will likely find the HD 800 quite bland on first listening.
But persevere and listen for a while - then go back and listen to the other headphones and you will suddenly realise how coloured they are and how good the HD 800 are - and you then will only want the HD 800.
I found this effect with both the Orpheus and the HD 800.
Posted from my iPhone

Well said, John.

I've found that when I relax into the sound coming from the HD 800, I hear exactly what's on the recording, and the only tonal 'deficiencies' I've heard are in sub-par recordings. To me even dance and bass-heavy music, which some have said the HD 800 doesn't do so well, sound full and satisfying with the HD 800.

My other headphones have definitely been getting less head-time recently and a few will most probably be making their way to the for sale forum. :)

May 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #3,893 of 6,607
I've stopped reaching for my LCD2s for even electronic music, which is at least half of my listening.  Even for dub step and pystrance which are extremely bass heavy.  The LCD2 plain and simply does not have more bass than the hd800.  It just punches it directly into your ear canal. 
Quote:
To me even dance and bass-heavy music, which some have said the HD 800 doesn't do so well, sound full and satisfying with the HD 800.

May 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,895 of 6,607
The HD800 do electronic music decently but you can enjoy it, however, I think it's more enjoyable with the D7Ks, but I wouldn't mind HD800 becoming my only headphone. The biggest gripe I have with the reviewers on this website and others, they say you will never headbang when listening through the HD800s... thats a total lie! I nod on every song, especially when Bon Jovi or some good trance comes in!

May 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3,896 of 6,607
What kind of electronical music? I actually listen to some trance (although not as much as I used to) and like them with the HD800.

I really enjoy the HD800 and the AD2000 look awfully lonely now..

May 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,897 of 6,607
I was listening to some Shpongle and Aphex Twin this morning and was really surprised at the amount of bass on one of the tracks from Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - the air sure was moving inside them cans. :)

May 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3,899 of 6,607
Strange thing about the HD800. It's easily the most appealing headphone I've owned, given a wide variety of genres. If I were on a desert island and the choice of only one headphone (and the desert island had a power generator for the amp and source), the HD800 is my pick.

But there are some things that certain phones do best. The DT880 can have an almost epic grandeur with all sorts of genres, from classical to punk. The D7000 is the one phone that lets you feel the music viscerally, thanks to the rich bass. Certain phones are breathtaking, especially with certain woods. 

May 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,900 of 6,607
If you like the closed wood sound of the D7000, you should try the TH900.  The R10 is also an option, sort of.  >.<

Could you explain 'grandeur' wrt DT880?  That's rather new to my lexicon and want to keep my ears open for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back