Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Mar 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,001 of 6,607

Quote:
Wow reading through this thread is really making me want to just jump at them for 950 bucks. I've auditioned them about 6 times now on my spare time at work, with various high end speaker amps; but I've always preferred the sound my HE500's spat out on the same set-ups. I'm going to have to bring my own equipment and take a longer listening break to compare the headphones, then I'll know whether I should just end the game and get me some HD800's.

Oh Head-Fi you...

eek.gif
 Where from?

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #3,003 of 6,607
Man it's a shame these get pigeon holed as a genre specific headphone.  With my S7 the 800 effortlessly goes from Godsmack to Bach to Sacrosanct Toucan to Paco De Lucia without skipping a beat.

Lol, 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' for Organ just came on.  Bass-light my ass!!

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #3,004 of 6,607
Man it's a shame these get pigeon holed as a genre specific headphone.  With my S7 the 800 effortlessly goes from Godsmack to Bach to Sacrosanct Toucan to Paco De Lucia without skipping a beat.

Lol, 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' for Organ just came on.  Bass-light my ass!!

x2. I've had T-Money's HD800 in as a loaner for a week now, and they are *not* genre-specific.

I'm curious to hear a modded version of these, or one of the (supposedly) more balanced new versions.

One curious thing for me has been that the HD800s treble peak has been less fatiguing than the LCD2's ringing. The peak may throw off tonality at times, and is sharp, but at least it decays relatively fast.

Conversely, every time the LCD2s pass over the ringing region the effect is noticeably longer and ultimately more bothersome. I'm still not ready to write off anything yet, and I've got another week or so with both to form a more concrete opinion.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,006 of 6,607
Very much appreciating the HD800 right now.  Just listened to Charlie Haden's Steal Away...HD800 does double bass so well...simply brilliant.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,007 of 6,607

Quote:
I'm curious to hear a modded version of these, or one of the (supposedly) more balanced new versions.

As long as you still have em, if you want to go out and pick up the materials, feel free to try the mod.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,008 of 6,607

Quote:

I sold my first HD800 (serial no. in the 1XXX range) in part because I disliked the peakiness of the treble. My recently acquired second pair (around 12XXX) do not seem to suffer from that issue. Admittedly, I have a better source and better amping now, but the headphones themselves do seem to be more refined in the upper reaches.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,009 of 6,607
I have one of the first HD800 (if not the very first that TTVJ shipped), that I pre-ordered from Todd in Jan 2009 and picked up at CanJam in May 2009.  Here is my frequency response chart.  Click to enlarge.

It plays very deep and is not bass-lite at all, but it doesn't seem to have the very low bass bump that some other charts have here.  I don't think they are sibilant at all, but with the wrong amp they can sound a little aggressive.  I prefer them the most with my Eddie Current ZDT amp with a GE Black-plate 5751 or Tung Sol 5751 driver tube.  I want to add that, if one cannot afford a vintage Sennheiser HE-60 electrostatic that the HD800 seem to be the dynamic headphone that comes closest to replicating the sound of the HE-60, but with a little better warmth, impact and weight.  Both have a large out of head soundstage/headstage, and the drivers tend to disappear with the sound coming from somewhere other than the drivers.  For the HE-60 my best amp in terms of synergy is my Woo WES.

I'll get around to doing the Tyll mod eventually, but I'm not very mechanically inclined and couldn't ever do them as well as Tyll did in his video.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #3,010 of 6,607
Quote:

I'll get around to doing the Tyll mod eventually, but I'm not very mechanically inclined and couldn't ever do them as well as Tyll did in his video.

That's what I have been saying (It's actually the Anaxilus mod with Tyl doing the Video and further improving it, gotta give the credit where it'd due
wink.gif
) for awhile now, I'll get around to it sometime. But even though I still like my LCD-2 r.1 quite a bit, especially with certain bass-challenged vinyl, I have been reaching for the unmodded HD 800 almost exclusively lately.

Your experience makes me wonder if Sennheiser actually changed the sound signature of the HD 800, or if they just eliminated certain production variances with the later models, because I definitely don't notice the fatigue in my later model (s/n 11xxx) set that I did with my early model (s/n 14xx) set.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3,011 of 6,607
That's what I have been saying (It's actually the Anaxilus mod with Tyl doing the Video and further improving it, gotta give the credit where it'd due
wink.gif
) for awhile now, I'll get around to it sometime. But even though I still like my LCD-3 r.1 quite a bit, especially with certain bass-challenged vinyl, I have been reaching for the unmodded HD 800 almost exclusively lately.

Your experience makes me wonder if Sennheiser actually changed the sound signature of the HD 800, or if they just eliminated certain production variances with the later models, because I definitely don't notice the fatigue in my later model (s/n 11xxx) set that I did with my early model (s/n 14xx) set.

Grokit, you got an LCD-3? Or was that a "slip"?

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #3,012 of 6,607
Quote:
Grokit, you got an LCD-3? Or was that a "slip"?

Thanks for pointing that out. That was a slip, and it's hilarious because I had just called out Purrin for the same thing in another thread
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #3,014 of 6,607
Has Sennheiser ever come out and admitted to changing the sound signature of later models? I had thought someone here received word from them that nothing had ever changed but there have been posts here that question that. Mine are serial # 06831 and I find the high end quite pronounced and brittle - if Sennheiser ever admitted to eradicating this issue on later production I'd have to look into a newer pair.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,015 of 6,607

Quote:
Has Sennheiser ever come out and admitted to changing the sound signature of later models? I had thought someone here received word from them that nothing had ever changed but there have been posts here that question that. Mine are serial # 06831 and I find the high end quite pronounced and brittle - if Sennheiser ever admitted to eradicating this issue on later production I'd have to look into a newer pair.

Look in the HD800 FR thread and see if you find any patterns.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back