Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,131 of 6,607

Quote:
Congrats, that's a great amp. But, "HD800" and "veil" should not be in the same sentence. Are you sure you didn't mean something else?

100% agreed. With the HD650s absolutely...but definitely not with the HD800s IMO.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #2,132 of 6,607
Music is more forward unlike being driven by The Protector.  It's not veiled compare to HD650.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #2,134 of 6,607
Neil Youngs 'On The Beach' is making me appreciate mine tonight.  This album got ripped in 1973 for being sparse, and ragged.  Just the way I like it.  Good Stuff.  

What are you hearing?

Revox Signature B226> McIntosh C220 w/Telefunken 12AX7> Lehmann BCL> HD800

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #2,137 of 6,607
An audiophile dog? According to http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_sense_of_hearing.htm , dogs have a highly developed sense of hearing. I bet they can distinguish one cable/power cord/DAC from another better than the golden ears
biggrin.gif

Quote:
No, he has his own pair.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #2,138 of 6,607
"The requested page could not be found."

This one works:
http://www.seefido.com/html/the_sense_of_hearing_of_dogs.htm

I think it's because of the comma at the end.

Quote:
An audiophile dog? According to http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_sense_of_hearing.htm, dogs have a highly developed sense of hearing. I bet they can distinguish one cable/power cord/DAC from another better than the golden ears
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,142 of 6,607
It took me awhile but I think I've finally found my sound with the HD800s.  I've been through a lot of the popular high end phones too, LCD-2, T1, SR-507, D7000, I prefer the HD800s by a wide margin, just a matter of preference of course. Now I'm just figuring out how I should go about amping them, I think I prefer SS atm. Right now honestly I'm enjoying them out of my new Lavry DA11, its lacking something, I'm not sure what, but it will do fine for me until I can afford a dedicated amp.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,144 of 6,607

Quote:
It took me awhile but I think I've finally found my sound with the HD800s.  I've been through a lot of the popular high end phones too, LCD-2, T1, SR-507, D7000, I prefer the HD800s by a wide margin, just a matter of preference of course. Now I'm just figuring out how I should go about amping them, I think I prefer SS atm. Right now honestly I'm enjoying them out of my new Lavry DA11, its lacking something, I'm not sure what, but it will do fine for me until I can afford a dedicated amp.

I just recently acquired HD800, but lack both DAC and amp. Since my wallet is still trying to recover from the purchase of the headphones, I have to choose either one of them. I have almost decided to save up the money for a DA11 and buy an amp at later time. 

My question is does the DA11 have enough power to drive the headphones? Since you mentioned that the system "will do you fine" for the moment, I guess this setup will is satisfactorily?

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2,145 of 6,607
Yeah I think it drives them just fine, I wish I had more amps to compare it with, I just have my old Meier Prehead-1. But I feel its a definite step up from the Prehead, much more detailed and precise, the Lavry is a quality unit for sure. I'm not too sure where I'm headed in terms of getting a dedicated amp but I'm happy with the sound for now.

Quote:
I just recently acquired HD800, but lack both DAC and amp. Since my wallet is still trying to recover from the purchase of the headphones, I have to choose either one of them. I have almost decided to save up the money for a DA11 and buy an amp at later time. 

My question is does the DA11 have enough power to drive the headphones? Since you mentioned that the system "will do you fine" for the moment, I guess this setup will is satisfactorily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back