Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2,086 of 6,607

Quote:
heh actually I haven't yet heard HD800 to sound as smooth as my HD600 with Ref5+LD IV SE combo. But the smoothness only becomes really apparent with certain songs. For me the bass on HD600 is more extended and reaches lower (deeper) but seems tighter and more defined with HD800.
smily_headphones1.gif

Subjectively, the HD800s sound more extended in the bass than my HD650s. Objectively (based on measurements), the 800s have deeper bass than both the 650 and ofcourse the 600 (which has even less extension than the 650).

There must be something wrong with your setup or perhaps you're mistaking what you're hearing on the 600s as deep bass when it's just a boosted mid-low bass. I don't know, but something's not right.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2,087 of 6,607

Quote:
I think sometimes on Head Fi a more obscure brand such as the LCD-2 is favored over a mainstream brand such as Sennheiser just because it is more esoteric.

I own both and really love both (especially the HD800s now with my pure copper DHC aftermarket cable), and I can see how some might prefer the HD800s. I would rank my top three cans: LCD-2s (with the Silver Dragon aftermarket cable), T1s, HD800s. No doubt in my mind why the LCD-2s are so highly regarded, but I can also see why the other two can also be preferred by others.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,089 of 6,607
I thought this would be an appropriate thread to say this: I actually like the HD800 now. Yes, really.
eek.gif

I've previously posted many times that I thought the HD800 was no better than "average", or "above-average" at best. Well, I still think that too, but my opinion of the HD800 recently changed for the better. With a HeadAmp GS-X in place in my system now, the HD800 has transformed into a headphone that's a lot more up my alley. I've heard the HD800 on a variety of amps before (at meets and at home) but none of them come close to how it sounds with the GS-X.

With the GS-X, the HD800 sounds even more clear and even more clean! Not that it really had a problem sounding either clear or clean before (eclipsed by only my Qualia 010 in that aspect), but the GS-X takes it up a further notch that I'm officially blown away! It's amazing! The clarity out of the HD800 now is astounding!

As if that weren't enough, the soundstage became even more precise and has opened up like nothing I've heard before. Wow! The ambient electronica I use for listening to soundstage and the feeling of empty/black space is absolutely stunning now and gives the Qualia a run for its money! I've never heard ambient electronica so properly diffuse before (on anything less than the Qualia, that is), it's like the layers of sound span across the entire soundstage width & depth, and there's so much "air" between them it's like a virtual clean suspension, literally like peering into the vastness of space and the layers are like the stars.

I can't get over how awesome the HD800 sounds on the GS-X. The clarity + purity of sound (combined with the ultra-precise widened soundstage) is by far the best that I've heard, beaten by only the Qualia. I was almost thinking about selling the HD800 before but I think I'm going to keep it now. I'm probably going to get a balanced cable for it and find out what happens.
smile.gif

The HD800 is now my 2nd favorite headphone for ambient electronica and bluegrass! In fact, I sense it's time for a smackdown with the Qualia.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2,090 of 6,607

Quote:
I thought this would be an appropriate thread to say this: I actually like the HD800 now. Yes, really.
eek.gif

I've previously posted many times that I thought the HD800 was no better than "average", or "above-average" at best. Well, I still think that too, but my opinion of the HD800 recently changed for the better. With a HeadAmp GS-X in place in my system now, the HD800 has transformed into a headphone that's a lot more up my alley. I've heard the HD800 on a variety of amps before (at meets and at home) but none of them come close to how it sounds with the GS-X.

With the GS-X, the HD800 sounds even more clear and even more clean! Not that it really had a problem sounding either clear or clean before (eclipsed by only my Qualia 010 in that aspect), but the GS-X takes it up a further notch that I'm officially blown away! It's amazing! The clarity out of the HD800 now is astounding!

As if that weren't enough, the soundstage became even more precise and has opened up like nothing I've heard before. Wow! The ambient electronica I use for listening to soundstage and the feeling of empty/black space is absolutely stunning now and gives the Qualia a run for its money! I've never heard ambient electronica so properly diffuse before (on anything less than the Qualia, that is), it's like the layers of sound span across the entire soundstage width & depth, and there's so much "air" between them it's like a virtual clean suspension, literally like peering into the vastness of space and the layers are like the stars.

I can't get over how awesome the HD800 sounds on the GS-X. The clarity + purity of sound (combined with the ultra-precise widened soundstage) is by far the best that I've heard, beaten by only the Qualia. I was almost thinking about selling the HD800 before but I think I'm going to keep it now. I'm probably going to get a balanced cable for it and find out what happens.
smile.gif

The HD800 is now my 2nd favorite headphone for ambient electronica and bluegrass! In fact, I sense it's time for a smackdown with the Qualia.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe I've been listening to a sample of the GS-X/800 pairing with my GS-1...because the HD800 are still my favourite headphones. A 7N silver wire also improved them significantly.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2,091 of 6,607

Quote:
eek.gif

smile.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

That's great!  I'm really glad you found a good combination that you like.  Maybe we'll get to hear it at a Colorado meet someday, and it might convince me that I need a GS-X which I have been considering on and off for the past couple of years.  The GS-X was up there on my short list with B22, Balancing Act, WA22 and ZDT when I was looking for a new amp last year.  I'm kinda getting tired of having to warm up the ZDT for 30-60 minutes for optimal listening.

How does the GS-X do with your JH13Pro?  I find they sound great with many desktop amps, not just portable gear.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #2,092 of 6,607
New to the forum, but I have been lurking for the past month.  Just wanted to say that I am quite pleased with my HD800 and Lehmann Black Cube combo.  Been listening to 'Antifogmatic' by the Punch Brother and am blown away.    I was a little concerned about the HF response being too hot and lack of bass, but they are wonderful.   Very comfortable too.  

I first tried them directly into my McIntosh C220 and they sounded OK, but not really impressive.  The Lehmann took them to another level. 

Thanks for the great site and good information.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2,094 of 6,607

[size=medium]
One complaint i have about the hd800 is that when I play orchestral music, it rattles/distorts when it crescendos into a loud passage. Its slight but very noticable and I wouldn't expect it from a headphone of this calibre. Its not a high frequency distortion but a mid distortion at high volume. Is this a result of jitter as my interconnects arent too flash and I'm using an onkyo nd-s1 dock. (entire rig in my sig) I'm very concerned it may be a manufacturing fault, as my hd650s never had this problem. could it be the cable?
[/size]

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2,095 of 6,607

Quote:

One complaint i have about the hd800 is that when I play orchestral music, it rattles/distorts when it crescendos into a loud passage. Its slight but very noticable and I wouldn't expect it from a headphone of this calibre. Its not a high frequency distortion but a mid distortion at high volume. Is this a result of jitter as my interconnects arent too flash and I'm using an onkyo nd-s1 dock. (entire rig in my sig) I'm very concerned it may be a manufacturing fault, as my hd650s never had this problem. could it be the cable?

You should probably start a new thread for this, but I've posted a response to your concern here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528804/disappointed-with-hd800-bass-need-something-better/135#post_7174247

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2,096 of 6,607
I can hear distortion through Hifiman HE-5LE but not through Sennheiser HD650.  I suspect the distortion is from the recording.  My HD800 will be here later this month, I can't wait.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2,097 of 6,607

Quote:
I can hear distortion through Hifiman HE-5LE but not through Sennheiser HD650.  I suspect the distortion is from the recording.  My HD800 will be here later this month, I can't wait.  
biggrin.gif

Are you sure it's not the amp?

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,099 of 6,607
New HD 800 in the house!  I'm loving 'em.  Even without burn-in they are a significant step up in clarity from my buddies, my K701s.  Nice air.  More refined highs.  Better un-EQ'd tonal balance, but still could use a little adjustment, mainly a little boost in the midrange "suck-out."  The bass is near perfect, though on some tracks I actually prefer the tighter bass of the 701 (tighter because of less on the very bottom and less warmth in lower mids).  I do notice, as some have complained, how for some rock the vocals are distant (midrange suck-out) and the soundstage is too wide (not to worry, SR 225is on the way for rock duties).  The soundstage is great for most of the classical, jazz, acoustic music that I mostly listen to, although I can see, as some have suggested, that the wide soundstage (wider than the K701) is at the expense of a well formed central sound image.  The 800s work very happily with my Channel Islands VHP-2 amp.  I thought I would immediately feel a need to upgrade my DAC and amp, but not as of today.  Time for that later.  I wonder how much the 800s will change with burn-in.  Nothing like the 701s would be my guess.  Maybe a little smoother, a little more transparency, a little more textured bass???  Time to put them back to cooking in the drivers.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2,100 of 6,607
Congratulations on the new HD800.  I have had my HD800/Lehmann amp combo for about a month and I am quite happy with them.  I was listening to Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' last night and it was a real pleasure.  The light brush on the cymbals and the clarity of the horns brought a new level of enjoyment to this recording.  Recordings sound so clean and open compared to my other phones.

I also will soon get a pair of phones for rock, but for classical, acoustic and Jazz they are the clear winner for me.  

Hope you enjoy yours for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back