Sennheiser HD800 and HDVA 600 Review
Dec 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #31 of 89
Speaking of the quality of the Sennheiser CH800S balanced headphone cable I can say it has met my expectations for detailed resolution and wide dynamics.  The oxygen free copper with the additional coating of silver on the wires delivers a startlingly clear performance with the Sennheiser HDVA600 balanced amplifier.  The build quality of the headphone cable is very nice, including the four-pole XLR plug with gold-plated Neutrik inserts.  The cable is not micro-phonic at all and can be moved and adjusted without transmitting extraneous noise to your ears.  The Odu medical grade connectors for the headphone end provide superior connection integrity and retention over the more typical stereo mini plugs.  The CH800S balanced headphone cable was designed and developed at Sennheiser's headquarters in Germany where it is also being manufactured.  The price, at $379.95 retail, seems a bit steep upon first look but now that I have owned and used this cable for nearly a year I realize it is a fair value for a very fine cable.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #32 of 89
Bro. I know this post is ancient. But you nailed it with this song , regarding bass. Good God , this is what I was looking for to evaluate bass. EXCELLENT track , also!. Cheers.
already got the DAC2 same as you plus using J River MC19 - apart from the amp were very similar setups. I went tube in the end - After my 4th SS amp i still could not get those hd800's to warm up or get much bass out of them. Eventually went with the schiit lyr and a pair of NOS mullards. 

How is the bass with the HDVA600 ? dont suppose you have that track angel by massive attack ? its my reference for bass as it goes extremely low that most amps cant play the lowest frequencies

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #33 of 89
Apart from a fully balanced WA22 with upgraded tubes, the HDVA600 is the finest amp I've owned - and one of best solid state amps, period. To my ears, it's leaps ahead of the Burson and Violetric stuff. Very high clarity, without getting on my nerves… I use HD700's, (Senn's black sheep:) people cuss this phone, but I think it's pretty damn fine:wink:) Maybe a HD800 down the track:) 

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #34 of 89
Great thread.  Super interesting because I just received my HD800's, HDVA 600 and CH800S last week and all I can say is WOW!.  These headphones are spectacular.  I initially tried them with my old Sony 5-CD player and some of the CD's were simply beautiful while others were a pain to listen to because of the excessive sibilance.  If it's one thing the HD800's do well, it's show you which CD's are done well and which ones aren't.  At one point the sibilance was so overwhelming I was thinking about sending the HD800's back.  But then I'd pull out a jazz CD and be smitten with the beauty, detail wonderful sound staging and rethink that idea.  After repeatedly reading how others were having the same problem, I searched for a solution and stumbled upon the ANAXILUS mod.  I didn't see how it could work but I tried it using shelf liner instead of the felt/foam/double sided sticky sheets and the improvement is pretty good (not perfect) but a pretty significant improvement.  It even brought the bass presence up a notch.  I also have the HD650's and I ordered the CH650S balanced cable for them.  I'm going to go through my music collection (which will not be a short term project) and mark which CD's are highly sibilant and ear mark them to be listened to with the HD650's.  All the rest I'll enjoy with the HD800's.  I was going to trade my Musical Fidelity M1SDAC in for a balanced DAC but this combination is sounding sweet to my ears so I'm keeping it, too.  My rig consists of a Dell XPS on which I run JRiver Media Center 16 (USB cable)->Musical Fidleity M1SDAC (RCA cable)->Sennheiser HDVA600 (Sennheiser CH800S cable)->Sennheiser HD800 HP and soon ->(Sennheiser CH650S cable) Sennheiser HD650 HP.  Couldn't wish for more!

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #35 of 89
Have a new HDVA600 and used W4S DAC-2 on order and plan to pair it up with the HD800 and CH 800 S soon.  Can't wait to hear how the package sounds.  Just am wondering how critical it is to use custom audio and power cables for the connections.  I plan to use a standard power cord for the HDVA600, the Digital Life High Performance USB cable, and KabelDirekt PRO Series RCA audio cables. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #36 of 89
Have a new HDVA600 and used W4S DAC-2 on order and plan to pair it up with the HD800 and CH 800 S soon.  Can't wait to hear how the package sounds.  Just am wondering how critical it is to use custom audio and power cables for the connections.  I plan to use a standard power cord for the HDVA600, the Digital Life High Performance USB cable, and KabelDirekt PRO Series RCA audio cables. 

No need for upgrade shielded cable on Amp- even a dealer will often admit is pretty pointless - perhaps a shielded mains cable for your digital source but only if your equipment is an area where there is likely to be a lot of RF interference
Great Amp great Headphones-
The Xlr cable is worth researching depend on your sound preferences- SENN CH Cable doesn't suit all- rather bright
Personally have the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 better Bass response and tones down the treble slightly- IMO

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #37 of 89
No need for upgrade shielded cable on Amp- even a dealer will often admit is pretty pointless - perhaps a shielded mains cable for your digital source but only if your equipment is an area where there is likely to be a lot of RF interference
Great Amp great Headphones-
The Xlr cable is worth researching depend on your sound preferences- SENN CH Cable doesn't suit all- rather bright
Personally have the Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 better Bass response and tones down the treble slightly- IMO

Thanks for the fast reply, Bigsi --- I currently have a Norne Vanquish cable but it is unbalanced (Furutech FP-704 connector) . I picked up a Ch 800 S since jdandy seemed to love it in the review and I heard that the HDVA600 to HD800 needed a balnaced cable to really shine.  Would the Norne Vanquish be better?  Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 better than both?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #38 of 89
Hi
Yes if you have the HDV600 it's worth fitting with XLR- truly shines if you have a fully balanced system from source to cans tho-

Cable choice is really down to taste that's why worth researching -
If you already have CH is you may as well play around with that for a bit right ?

Check the reviews on Moon cable
Can fully customise to xlr etc

http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-headphone-cable-v2.html

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #39 of 89
Hi
Yes if you have the HDV600 it's worth fitting with XLR- truly shines if you have a fully balanced system from source to cans tho-

Cable choice is really down to taste that's why worth researching -
If you already have CH is you may as well play around with that for a bit right ?

Check the reviews on Moon cable
Can fully customise to xlr etc

http://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-headphone-cable-v2.html

Thanks for the tip on the moon cable.  I originally had the HD800 hooked up to a bottlehead crack + speedball, but found the bass lacking and the highs a little harsh.  Is this the type of issue I will have with the CH 800 S that might be resolved with an XLR like the moon cable?

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #41 of 89
Ok
My source is a Roksan Kaspian M2 CD which has a pretty full bass as CD players go but found the HD800s had that same characteristic as you described -
Yes the Moon Cable absolutely helped,
It's a subtle change obviously as you are only changing a connection rather than hardwear but yes I now find the System or more specifically the HD800s less fatiguing over extended listening. The other two cables that get attention are the Stefan Art and Cardass clear
From what I hear the cardass is a darker cable than the Moon - not sure on the SA-
Point is they are all pure copper rather than silver/copper hybrid of the CH & it's the silver that accentuates the bright nature of Headphones - from what I've read the actual cable on the CH is the same as the stock cable supplied with HD800s so is no doubt identical in sound characteristics - the XLR balanced connection will make it sound a little louder is all. Hope this helps

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #42 of 89
Ok
My source is a Roksan Kaspian M2 CD which has a pretty full bass as CD players go but found the HD800s had that same characteristic as you described -
Yes the Moon Cable absolutely helped,
It's a subtle change obviously as you are only changing a connection rather than hardwear but yes I now find the System or more specifically the HD800s less fatiguing over extended listening. The other two cables that get attention are the Stefan Art and Cardass clear
From what I hear the cardass is a darker cable than the Moon - not sure on the SA-
Point is they are all pure copper rather than silver/copper hybrid of the CH & it's the silver that accentuates the bright nature of Headphones - from what I've read the actual cable on the CH is the same as the stock cable supplied with HD800s so is no doubt identical in sound characteristics - the XLR balanced connection will make it sound a little louder is all. Hope this helps

Very interesting, Bigsi --- I just may upgrade to the Moon at some point.  Will need to give the CH 800 S a listen and see if I find it too bright, since I already bought it from someone on the trade forum on here.  May need to wait for my wallet to recover after what I've shelled out over the past few weeks for the HD800, HDVA600, W4S DAC-2 and CH 800 S ---- it really adds up!!!!!

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 89
Took the plunge and ordered a Moon Black Dragon V2 Premium HD800 cable with male dual 3-pin XLR connectors.  Can't wait to see how they sound, but am worried that the connector is incompatible with the HDVA600 amp.

I see the HDVA600 has two XLR-4 socket balnaced output ---- will this be incompatible with the male dual 3-pin XLR connector that is included on the Black Dragon cable?  Will an adapter be needed?

Also am wondering what is the quality difference in sound between the premium black dragon HD800 version with dual 3-pin XLR (which would then probably need an adapter) and the standard HD800 V2 black dragon cable fitted with the Neutrik 4-pin XLR connector?  There is $300+ difference in cost between these two options....if high enough quality can be met with the standard V2 black dragon, I would prefer to go with that and save some $$$.....

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #44 of 89
Tell me about it- my wife is now angling for a new car after I told her how much I spent on "headphones"

N.b This makes interesting reading re mains cables-

http://www.atlascables.com/assets/files/pdfs-technical/DNA_of_Atlas_Power_Products-Apr13.pdf

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #45 of 89
Pretty sure that connection won't be compatible but if you email drew at Moon Audio he will no doubt be able to answer your questions - usually replies pretty quick. Personally think you'd be better saving your cash and stick with standard BDV2 with 4 pin neutrix xlr - just my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back