Sennheiser HD800 and HDVA 600 Review
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #46 of 89
Yes, Drew took care of me and cancelled the original order --- he recommended exactly what you did, so tomorrow I should be receiving the standard BDV with 4 pin neutrix xlr connector.  My ears are ready.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #47 of 89
Black dragon cable arrived today, so I got to listen to my full new setup:  JRiver --> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 --> Sennheiser HDVA600 --> Sennheiser HD800 with Moon Black Dragon v2 cable .....................

.....................WOW ---- amazing sound, no matter what style music I listen to.  The issues that I had with weak bass and harsh treble when I paired the HD800 with a Bottlehead crack + speedball through the Music Streamer II+ DAC are all gone.  Treble is nice and smooth, bass is emphasized better (though not too much....just accurately) and all of the positives of the  HD800 shine through (soundstage, clarity etc.)  Listened from 11 AM this morning all the way until almost dinnertime.  Couldn't get enough.  I think this setup should last me at least a decade or two :xf_cool:  It was a pricey investment but well worth it.  Thanks for the help with fine-tuning the cable selection!!

May 23, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #48 of 89
Hi everyone.

I'm currently enjoying my hd800s with the typical pairing of my soloist and arcam irdac. I'm contemplating the hdva600.

I listened to the hdvd800 using the ch800s cables and my initial impressions where very favourable.
I keep reading that the dac in the hdvd800 is nothing exceptional.

Does anyone have any experience with the irdac and the Hdva600.

In theory it looks like a good match with the irdac having a little bit of warmth and good punch and fair soundstage.

Or am I quite better off with the hdvd800?

Your experienced views would be much appreciated

Peter

May 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #49 of 89
Hi Peter. 
I bought the HD 800 headphones and HDVA 600 headphone amp so I could listen to my HD 650's and HD 800's balanced.  I chose the HDVA 600 over the HDVD 800 because I kept reading the HDVD 800's DAC section wasn't too good.  I chose instead to purchase a separate DAC.  The Calyx DAC paired with my Marantz PM 8005 and the HDVA 600 brought a vast improvement to both headphones with their respective Sennheiser balanced cables.  Clarity increased, bass tightened and the soundstage opened up even more for both headphones.  Even though I had a Marantz PM 8005, what I REALLY wanted was the Marantz PM11S3.  I searched until I found one at an affordable price  and purchased it and I'm as happy (ecstatic) with it as I am with my HD 800's.  I found the headphone jack on the PM 11S3 integrated amp is every bit as good as the HDVA 600 headphone amp.  I have no experience with the irdac so I can't speak to that. I hope this helps and you find your musical bliss.

May 28, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #50 of 89
Hi Peter. 
I bought the HD 800 headphones and HDVA 600 headphone amp so I could listen to my HD 650's and HD 800's balanced.  I chose the HDVA 600 over the HDVD 800 because I kept reading the HDVD 800's DAC section wasn't too good.  I chose instead to purchase a separate DAC.  The Calyx DAC paired with my Marantz PM 8005 and the HDVA 600 brought a vast improvement to both headphones with their respective Sennheiser balanced cables.  Clarity increased, bass tightened and the soundstage opened up even more for both headphones.  Even though I had a Marantz PM 8005, what I REALLY wanted was the Marantz PM11S3.  I searched until I found one at an affordable price  and purchased it and I'm as happy (ecstatic) with it as I am with my HD 800's.  I found the headphone jack on the PM 11S3 integrated amp is every bit as good as the HDVA 600 headphone amp.  I have no experience with the irdac so I can't speak to that. I hope this helps and you find your musical bliss.

Thanks for your response.

I'll pop in to my local store and compare the hdvd800 to the hdvd800 with the irdac. That will give me a chance to see where the hdvd800 is at and if the irdac adds a warmer note to it

Luckily I'm in no rush as I'm content with my current set up

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #51 of 89
Thanks for your response.

I'll pop in to my local store and compare the hdvd800 to the hdvd800 with the irdac. That will give me a chance to see where the hdvd800 is at and if the irdac adds a warmer note to it

Luckily I'm in no rush as I'm content with my current set up

This is what iam contemplating as well. A hdvd 800 or hdvd 600 + dac..

If I'm going balanced, wouldn't the system need to be all balanced? which the hdvd 800 provides?

decisions... decisions

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #52 of 89
This is what iam contemplating as well. A hdvd 800 or hdvd 600 + dac..

If I'm going balanced, wouldn't the system need to be all balanced? which the hdvd 800 provides?

decisions... decisions

In a whole lot of reading I've done online I have read a number of views saying that others have found balanced inputs from a dac is not that crucial. Just what I've read.

From my own listening experience which was brief (about 30 mins) I did notice a significant difference between balanced and SE output to the hd800s.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #53 of 89
In a whole lot of reading I've done online I have read a number of views saying that others have found balanced inputs from a dac is not that crucial. Just what I've read.

From my own listening experience which was brief (about 30 mins) I did notice a significant difference between balanced and SE output to the hd800s.

Yeah the local owner said that there is a difference b/w balanced and SE... and that I was able to test it out, so that is good (My own ears to test it out).

Is the DAC on the HDVD 800 that bad?.... maybe it is good enough that it was put into the system in such a way that it really goes with the amp.

When listening to the HD 800 with the HDVD 800, it already sounded so good just on SE. Just scared that when I buy HD 600 and separate DAC (although the separate DAC could be better than the one in HDVD 800), it might not be the best synergy.

The only problem I have is that I cant demo an external DAC...

Unless sennhesier engineer got it wrong with the internal DAC, but that is hard to believe...

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #54 of 89
There's a $300 difference between the HDVA 600 and the HDVD 800.  I'd surmise the DAC on the HDVD 800 and the extra inputs (optical and coaxial) add up to the extra $300 which makes for a pretty inexpensive DAC.  That's why I bought the HDVA 600 + Calyx 24/192 DAC.  I wanted a DAC that did nothing but DAC stuff by USB connection and had balanced outputs to run into the HDVA.  I'd never heard of Calyx until I started searching for XLR balanced outputs on a DAC.  The two components are VERY synergistic.  About 3-4 months earlier I'd bought a Musical Fidelity M1SDAC and found it to have stuff I wasn't interested in (bluetooth, etc.).  But it was a $1500 DAC being sold for $700 and I thought it would be a bargain.  After hearing it I found money had been spent on the extras that I didn't want leaving the DAC performance better than the Asus Xonar Essence One DAC it was replacing but less than stellar.  I guess what disappointed me most was the Muscial Fidelity's headphone jack didn't sound any better than my old 5 CD changer's headphone jack.  Anyway I found the HDVA running balanced from the DAC to the HD800's to be musical bliss.  Hope you find the same.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #55 of 89
Lucky for me I was able to get the HDVD 800 for $100 (aud) above the HDVA 600, so went with that.

Will use that until I find the need to upgrade the DAC.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #56 of 89
C
Lucky for me I was able to get the HDVD 800 for $100 (aud) above the HDVA 600, so went with that.

Will use that until I find the need to upgrade the DAC.

:)

Can I ask where from and for how much?

I'm in sydney and have been looking at retail/asking prices

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #57 of 89
C
Can I ask where from and for how much?

I'm in sydney and have been looking at retail/asking prices

Hdvd 800 for $1499
http://www.apollohifi.com.au/sennheiser-hdvd800-dac-headphone-amplifier.html

hd 800 + hdvd 800 + ch 800 for $3250
http://www.apollohifi.com.au/sennheiser-hd800-hdvd800-ch800s-headphone-amp-cable-pack.html

I think the best prices in town..

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #58 of 89
Hdvd 800 for $1499
http://www.apollohifi.com.au/sennheiser-hdvd800-dac-headphone-amplifier.html

hd 800 + hdvd 800 + ch 800 for $3250
http://www.apollohifi.com.au/sennheiser-hd800-hdvd800-ch800s-headphone-amp-cable-pack.html

I think the best prices in town..
PM'd

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #59 of 89
I assume there is no sq difference between the 600 & 800 unit? amp wise

Why is the ch800s cable so expensive? Because they know people will pay for that awesome subjective sound? These cables are getting out of control, just profiteering madness.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #60 of 89
I recently purchased Moon Audio Black Dragon v2.

Moon Audio Black Dragon or Cardas Clear vs Sennheiser CH800S is a trade off between low and high frequencies.

Moon Audio Black Dragon and Cardas Clear boosts low frequencies, but high frequencies are not as clear as in stock cable.

Personally, I prefer Sennheiser CH800S cable with my HDVA 600 amp.

With an equalizer, it's easier to boost low frequencies than to get CH800S brilliance and cleareness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back