Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #9,601 of 9,626
The grill swaps may play a small role. Baffle swap might also play a small role. Clamp would play a small role. And I guess old pads vs new pads etc.
But doing all of them defo results in a noticeable change.

The 660S driver sounds like a 6 series, but it also has some ... i don't even know what word to use... some sort of "edginess" . Perhaps I have used that word before, and someone else used the term "digital glare"

I tried the 660S driver with an older black paper baffle, and a headband from past which was much looser. With a buffer (itube) in system, it sort of smoothed it over.
It's not unlistenable or bad or anything like that, but it leaves me with similar feelings like ath-ad1000x after longer periods of time vs some other Sennheisers.

E.g 580 (II gen) driver with the new (660 S1/2 baffle), Custom Cans copper ring, older model pads, and the 660S chassis (more clamp, new cable), and it's smoother and less fatiguing.

I know the newer drivers might excell in the bass and treble regions vs the older stock versions (580/600/650), but where the mids sit, it might be personal preference.

There are differences in where the mids sit, the mid bass hump levels, and fatigue factors.

Again, it's all relative as I don't think the 6 series overall are fatiguing per se.

I will say, you were quite right about that r70x. It shocked me how much more natural sounding it is vs its ad1kx/2kx brothers,
It is fairly subtle but did notice some difference.

There is a bit of something off about the HD 660S, a bit of digital glare or something, I also find the HD 660S2 has something off to it that's even harder to put my finger on. I'm beginning to think it may be related to the unsymmetrical venting on the HD 660S/S2, because honestly every headphone I've owned with it bothered me in some way that is subtle and hard to put my finger on. It's something about how they present sound. I also find the HD 600 and HD 650 do seem to scale more than the HD 660S and even the HD 660S2. With the HD 650 I can pinpoint what makes it troublesome to me, it's the bass presentation and slower decay of that headphone, but it may be fixable with some tweaks or on the right system. The HD 600 simply needs some taming of the upper mids and lower treble. The HD 600's rolled off low-end never really bothered me honestly.

The R70x I don't have any desire to really change any part of it's sound response, it's where I want it as is, but like I thought it's stock cable needs to be replaced and it's a harder headphone to drive than the HD 600/650 but not inferior, I find it scales just as much. Honestly back to Beyers though, just got a DT 900 Pro X and quite happy with it, basically it's what I wanted the HD 560S/400 Pro to be. The Senn HD 560S/400 Pro were disappointments to me. Thinking of getting that 100th anniversary DT 770 (with DT 700/900 Pro X drivers).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #9,602 of 9,626
When you mentioned that asymmetrical venting.... in 2019 i made a post about it ... and this was the pic

Post#887 from the Headphone driver pics page

1713757475446.jpeg

^^^^ that is from 2019 ^^^^ XD

Funny enough I end up getting the 660S, but i was so confused about it at the time

1713757591572.jpeg

But, i would imagine they know what they are doing, and perhaps it doesn't make a huge difference

though I wonder why the hd800 drivers, Tesla drivers , and other TOTL have the circuit board built outside of the venting area.

it still bothers me a little, though perhaps not as much as back in 2019 :p

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #9,603 of 9,626
sorry for double post ... but wow seems i went full tard 5 years ago on this matter

Its strange to see past posts from years ago, and see how the venting structure of a headphone driver was making me a borderline nut :p

***sorry, it;s late and i made a mistake*** pls ignore the question/answer part... it was another manufacturer

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #9,604 of 9,626
1713759270977.jpeg

apologies for 3rd continuous post. :p

My main confusion at the time was the venting, as well as the brass ring removal.

Don't think I ever came across the reasoning from the manufacturer.

Goodnight :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #9,605 of 9,626
When you mentioned that asymmetrical venting.... in 2019 i made a post about it ... and this was the pic

Post#887 from the Headphone driver pics page

^^^^ that is from 2019 ^^^^ XD

Funny enough I end up getting the 660S, but i was so confused about it at the time

But, i would imagine they know what they are doing, and perhaps it doesn't make a huge difference

though I wonder why the hd800 drivers, Tesla drivers , and other TOTL have the circuit board built outside of the venting area.

it still bothers me a little, though perhaps not as much as back in 2019 :p
I think it makes a difference but it’s not huge. For me it’s a subtle thing that starts bothering me in the long term. Such as a month or two down the road and I can’t really stand the headphone much anymore. Sadly for me in audio, it’s the subtle things that often bother me more than the big things. As I noticed I have more problems fixing subtle things than the big things.

The thing is my problems with the HD 650 and the HD 600 is fixable but I know I can’t fully fix the HD 660S and HD 660S2 to my ears and I’m thinking it’s related to that. But may be wrong. But it’s the only correlation I found and I’m finding my foray into Beyers again and listening to some other headphones with both symmetrical and unsymmetrical venting as well is showing me it likely is that sadly as I found no other cause to my ears so far. It’s subtle and nothing huge but I do think it makes a bit of a difference even when addressed for. But the culprit causing the issues for me can be something else altogether.

The removal of the brass ring on the HD 6xx is an interesting decision, it probably have some sort of sonic impact, just no idea what sort. Not sure why they did that.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #9,606 of 9,626
I think it makes a difference but it’s not huge. For me it’s a subtle thing that starts bothering me in the long term. Such as a month or two down the road and I can’t really stand the headphone much anymore. Sadly for me in audio, it’s the subtle things that often bother me more than the big things. As I noticed I have more problems fixing subtle things than the big things.

The thing is my problems with the HD 650 and the HD 600 is fixable but I know I can’t fully fix the HD 660S and HD 660S2 to my ears and I’m thinking it’s related to that. But may be wrong. But it’s the only correlation I found and I’m finding my foray into Beyers again and listening to some other headphones with both symmetrical and unsymmetrical venting as well is showing me it likely is that sadly as I found no other cause to my ears so far. It’s subtle and nothing huge but I do think it makes a bit of a difference even when addressed for. But the culprit causing the issues for me can be something else altogether.

The removal of the brass ring on the HD 6xx is an interesting decision, it probably have some sort of sonic impact, just no idea what sort. Not sure why they did that.

Before it was 580 , 600, 650

Then 660S, S2 introduced.

Then Custom Cans comes in with their copper/nickle mod

Then you have all these new pads.

So, I'm more curious where the dust will settle in a year or two or three. Will S2 keep top spot... or perhaps a HD650 with CC ring and a ZMF pad ....

The 660S is nice, but I'm not sure it will be in top 3 overall for 6 series.

1. 660S2 (possibly b/c it's newest/ slightly hyped)

2. ??? HD600

3??? 650/6xx?

4. 580??/ 660S

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #9,607 of 9,626

So, I'm more curious where the dust will settle in a year or two or three. Will S2 keep top spot... or perhaps a HD650 with CC ring and a ZMF pad ....

2. ??? HD600

3??? 650/6xx?

4. 580??/ 660S
I am rooting for the big outsider...58X...!!!

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #9,608 of 9,626

2. ??? HD600

3??? 650/6xx?

4. 580??/ 660S
I am curious where things will end up myself. I haven’t decided where the S2 will be. Not giving up on it, but it’s not fully happy with my system yet and not sure if I can make it fully happy. The HD 650 is interesting because it seems to dig out the most overall detail and nuance of the entire lineup including the HD 660S2, but it does suffer in terms of bass control some especially compared to the S2. The HD 600 sounds the most natural and organic of the HD 6xx line to me. The S probably had the best imaging and has the flattest response to my ears but it has a bit of a dry sound and lacks the dynamics of the others and the R70X is a better version of the S1 imho. It’s why I don’t really use the S1 anymore as it got replaced by the R70X.

Dont really have any experience with the HD 580 or HD 58X.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #9,609 of 9,626
I am curious where things will end up myself. I haven’t decided where the S2 will be. Not giving up on it, but it’s not fully happy with my system yet and not sure if I can make it fully happy. The HD 650 is interesting because it seems to dig out the most overall detail and nuance of the entire lineup including the HD 660S2, but it does suffer in terms of bass control some especially compared to the S2. The HD 600 sounds the most natural and organic of the HD 6xx line to me. The S probably had the best imaging and has the flattest response to my ears but it has a bit of a dry sound and lacks the dynamics of the others and the R70X is a better version of the S1 imho. It’s why I don’t really use the S1 anymore as it got replaced by the R70X.

Dont really have any experience with the HD 580 or HD 58X.

I wonder how much of the differences in imaging have to do with the actual driver and how much has to do with the new screen material they use. AFAIK, the screen/baffle is same on the S/S2.

Also the CC ring added to the older 600/650 (and 580) allow for the driver to have more control with stronger bass hits in the lower registers. It's noticeable as otherwise you can hear the driver struggle/rattle a bit if pushed. In other words, the ring allows it to be pushed just a bit further with the extra stiffness/mass load. IMO anyway, and few others seem to have said similar things.

The S2 is nice and balanced, and somewhat has an analogue type characteristic even with SS amp. But the intimacy of mids vs perhaps the older series is not the same. It's quite possible it is in the "correct" position vs slightly more "forward" mids in the older versions with poorer extention on both ends.

But numbers speak volumes, so if the 660S2 keeps its top spot for a year or two, then it is what it is.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #9,610 of 9,626
I wonder how much of the differences in imaging have to do with the actual driver and how much has to do with the new screen material they use. AFAIK, the screen/baffle is same on the S/S2.

Also the CC ring added to the older 600/650 (and 580) allow for the driver to have more control with stronger bass hits in the lower registers. It's noticeable as otherwise you can hear the driver struggle/rattle a bit if pushed. In other words, the ring allows it to be pushed just a bit further with the extra stiffness/mass load. IMO anyway, and few others seem to have said similar things.

The S2 is nice and balanced, and somewhat has an analogue type characteristic even with SS amp. But the intimacy of mids vs perhaps the older series is not the same. It's quite possible it is in the "correct" position vs slightly more "forward" mids in the older versions with poorer extention on both ends.

But numbers speak volumes, so if the 660S2 keeps its top spot for a year or two, then it is what it is.
I wonder as well. Some is the system of course as well.

I have read about the CC ring improving the bass registers of the HD 600/650. May eventually mod my HD 650 but not yet. I'm not sure if I'll keep my HD 6xx lineup or sell some of them off and just keep one or two.

It does have a balanced and more analogue characteristic, doesn't have the dryness of the S1. Problem is I have a T1.3 and some reason the HD 660S2 reminds me of it despite measuring quite different but the T1 is notably better and more resolving and I prefer the mids on the T1. I do think of overall technical ability the HD 660S2 is the top HD 6xx headphone but it also deviates a bit from the rest of the lineup sonically.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #9,611 of 9,626

2. ??? HD600

3??? 650/6xx?

4. 580??/ 660S
My personal choices right now:

1) 660s2
2) 600
3) 6xx

660s I'm keeping rather than selling but it doesn't get much head time....

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #9,613 of 9,626
For me it’s:-

1) 660S (just)
2) 650
3) 580 Precision
4) 600

Haven’t yet heard the S2, but at the moment I’m still impressed (in a neutral and natural way) with the NDH 30.

Does your 660S sound better with new pads, or as they get flatter?

Also, have you compared with any of the 580/600/650 + CC ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back