Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #9,467 of 9,628
Thx for the info. Going to save up for the s2 and maybe sell my way to polite ndh30.
I understand! I have the Focal OG Clear's and I consider them "polite" which is fine for me sometimes. Got the Meze 109 pro's and they were also very "polite and smooth". Didn't need a 2nd pair. Sent them back in two days. To each their own....

Leo

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #9,468 of 9,628
One thing i luv about the 660S is the performance at low volumes. It does fantastic when you want music but want to watch a basketball game or tennis match at the same time and the hear commentary

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #9,469 of 9,628
I understand! I have the Focal OG Clear's and I consider them "polite" which is fine for me sometimes. Got the Meze 109 pro's and they were also very "polite and smooth". Didn't need a 2nd pair. Sent them back in two days. To each their own....

Leo

What amp for 190, b/c "polite and smooth" were not my impressions. I did like the pads though, and overall comfort. They were a bit "bright" for me.

I'm curious if the pads fit the sennheiser, b/c they were super nice :D

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #9,470 of 9,628
What amp for 190, b/c "polite and smooth" were not my impressions. I did like the pads though, and overall comfort. They were a bit "bright" for me.

I'm curious if the pads fit the sennheiser, b/c they were super nice :D
Good morning! I used the Jot2, Feliks Audio Espressivio (OTL amp), Valhalla2, Vali2++. For me, it didn't make a difference. There are no absolutes in this hobby, only your personal preferences...

Good luck!

Leo

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #9,471 of 9,628

Leo
You find the clears polite? Wow! I have the elex and find them very aggressive.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #9,472 of 9,628
Have you considered the brass ring or nickle plated ring for the 650? From Custom Cans, or known as the "donut mod" XD

Its been quite interesting comparing the newer Sennheiser driver with the older ones with the donut mod.

Since you like the new hd650 so much, I cannot help but wonder if the donut and foam mod would take it up a notch.

The thing is with rear foam removed, you can tune with different foam tips (like iem tips or the ones from Custom Cans) which have different airflow characteristics which change the bass and overall feel of the "body" and it seems to make the lower end tighter; nay, just less prone to rattle in heavy bass situations (especially with EQ)

Not that the 6 series really rattles or anything unless someone got a bad pair.

Have you pad rolled on any 6 series? IIRC you put the 660S driver into the 545? Or maybe that was someone else ha!
I have considered it, I may end up doing some mods to the HD 650 eventually but for now leaving it stock.

I am liking the new HD 650 a lot, but haven't actually fully decided if I like it more than the HD 660S yet, I change my mind every few days it seems, lol. The HD 650 does need some improving of it's bass so will likely end up doing the donut mod. The HD 660S has better quality bass without question and the S2 is even better quality.

I haven't really pad rolled the HD 6xx series outside of official HD 6xx pads.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #9,473 of 9,628
One thing i luv about the 660S is the performance at low volumes. It does fantastic when you want music but want to watch a basketball game or tennis match at the same time and the hear commentary
Love them for the same reason. Really careful with my volume management these past few years, after really pushing volume for a long time (to my hearing's detriment), and being able to hear a good sound at not so high volumes? Invaluable, especially for games and such, where longer sessions are required.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #9,474 of 9,628
If you have both S and S2, do you think S2 has more nasal sound than the S?

I am considering an upgrade to S2 for the good stuff people claimed, but too much nasal sound would be a deal breaker for my use case. I listen to podcasts and youtubers a lot every day and I really do not like nasal or too much deep voice. For example, Joshua Valour has a natural warm voice. My 660S sounds fine for about 75% of his videos, but a little too warm or nasal for the rest 25%. I happen listen to mostly male youtubers and in general males have deeper voices than females. So, I absolutely don't want more nasal sound.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #9,475 of 9,628
Yeah that's true though I do think the HD 650 feels the nicest and best built in the hands of all the HD 6xx series.

I appreciate the HD 660S, but how much I am attached to them depends on the system. Some I don't really care for them and others I am quite fond of them.

Ah, maybe I won the driver lottery with this one as I don't recall the other HD 660S's I've had sounding as wide and expansive. I found it quite good at doing the out of head effect whereas the HD 600, HD 650 and HD 660S2 sounded more in the head.
Do you modified the clamp force of your hd660?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #9,479 of 9,628
I got my HD 660S refurbished from Sennheiser and out of the box they were absolutely perfect. Someone saved me the effort. I guess that's another perk for refurbs! My brand new HD 660S2 in comparison were brutal.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #9,480 of 9,628
They have less than my HD 650 but my HD 660S I’ve had a little longer and has more use. Though I do think it’s clamp has reduced faster than my HD 650.
That's the thing, I have numerous similar audio technicas , even duplicates and I do a lot of A/B testing.

I do mods, and basically if I want I can make ad1000x wider than ad2000x.

Stock ad900x is wider than them, this has to do with the angled driver+less clamping force than any of them, and if you reduce clamp force you get more space between ears and drivers=wider stage.

The original Non X AD2000 has significantly more clamp force than any of them, significantly more than hd660( I had one).

And this is related to the super intimate sound people speak about them.

Less clamping force leads to a Wider perceived Soundstage,I think it could be one of the reasons why you think your hd660 are significantly wider than hd 600/650/660s2 it would be likely that more than a driver difference.

I have done tons of experiments and even a few CM of driver distance can make truly massive differences when listening to music, even more in percieved frequency response than in soundstage size.

I'm interested if you happen to try another hd660 and are able to compare paying attention to clamp force/driver distance differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back