Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 8, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #8,161 of 9,628
Check this out. I decided to buy another pair of 660s', I've had 3 pairs now. One from 2018, 2020 and now 2022. I purchased directly from Sennheiser.

'Made in Ireland'. That was a little surprising considering I thought all manufacturing had moved to Romania. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Also, I had an unopened 1.4m short cable (art. no. 570679) to use with them and had the hardest time getting the male connectors into the female part of the headphones on both cups. I practically had to force them in.

IMG_0069.jpeg
I had the shame problem with my HD 6XX Ireland short cable to fit it inside HD 660s Romanian Version , It was so hard to fit it so i stopped trying . I dont know why they looked the identical ( i guess they didnt)
Also a lot of aftermarket cables have problems ... If u looked at Amazon a lot of people broke the inner connections when they pull the cable out.

May 10, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #8,162 of 9,628
I had the shame problem with my HD 6XX Ireland short cable to fit it inside HD 660s Romanian Version , It was so hard to fit it so i stopped trying . I dont know why they looked the identical ( i guess they didnt)
Also a lot of aftermarket cables have problems ... If u looked at Amazon a lot of people broke the inner connections when they pull the cable out.

Total bummer. Must be an issue with the mold being off a cm or mm this way or that way. Wouldn't take much.

Thanks.

May 11, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #8,164 of 9,628
I decided to buy a 'like new' Lehmann Rhinelander to pair with my 660s, looking forward to receiving it. I think it will be perfect for my desk space, etc. I'm honestly just planning on using an Apple USB-C dongle as my DAC and calling it a day.

Unless anyone can convince me I need a standalone DAC?...

The standalone DAC will sound a bit better. How much better ? Not a super real lot of a difference, but better. If you listened a lot, you would hear the difference yourself, sooner or later. There's nothing more or less that I could say to convince you of that, but that's it.

May 12, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #8,165 of 9,628
Howdy! I have been lurking in other threads but was hoping to pick everyone’s brain on something here. I just had a chance to demo an Eikon and Liric which I found I liked. But came back home and fired up my 660s and I think I prefer them (eq’d to Oratory). Each of the headphones has their own strengths and weaknesses, but I listen to a variety of genres so don’t need something that’s gonna be amazing with just one specific genre. The reason I’m asking here it is I’m looking for a closed back that has a similar signature to the 660. Price is not really an issue for me, but if it doesn’t have to be as expensive as a Liric that’s great (I liked the D9200 but it’s still a lot of $$). I saw it back about a year ago in an older thread someone recommended the Elear, which I think was replaced by the Celestee. I’ve demoed that briefly in the past and wasn’t particularly impressed, I found it quite boring, but if someone here has experience with that phone and really recommends it as a similar phone I’ll have to go try again. (Note that I’m running these out of Zen Dac/Can stack—love the xbass button because it’s easy to add just a hint of warmth and body when necessary. )

Any recommendations for a closed back that performs similar to the 660? Thank you!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #8,166 of 9,628
Howdy! I have been lurking in other threads but was hoping to pick everyone’s brain on something here. I just had a chance to demo an Eikon and Liric which I found I liked. But came back home and fired up my 660s and I think I prefer them (eq’d to Oratory). Each of the headphones has their own strengths and weaknesses, but I listen to a variety of genres so don’t need something that’s gonna be amazing with just one specific genre. The reason I’m asking here it is I’m looking for a closed back that has a similar signature to the 660. Price is not really an issue for me, but if it doesn’t have to be as expensive as a Liric that’s great (I liked the D9200 but it’s still a lot of $$). I saw it back about a year ago in an older thread someone recommended the Elear, which I think was replaced by the Celestee. I’ve demoed that briefly in the past and wasn’t particularly impressed, I found it quite boring, but if someone here has experience with that phone and really recommends it as a similar phone I’ll have to go try again. (Note that I’m running these out of Zen Dac/Can stack—love the xbass button because it’s easy to add just a hint of warmth and body when necessary. )

Any recommendations for a closed back that performs similar to the 660? Thank you!
x

May 14, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #8,167 of 9,628
I decided to buy a 'like new' Lehmann Rhinelander to pair with my 660s, looking forward to receiving it. I think it will be perfect for my desk space, etc. I'm honestly just planning on using an Apple USB-C dongle as my DAC and calling it a day.

Unless anyone can convince me I need a standalone DAC?...
I have and use Apple usb C dongle via phone and pc. In my opinion its not good at all with 660s.
I use some protables and i like the THX onyx by far... Even compare to my ifi nano micro zen k5 pro and harman kardon desktop amp.
I dont know why but with 660s it sounds perfect , but not with Sundara.

May 14, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #8,168 of 9,628

Honestly i dont think u will ever find a closed back that sounds like 660s. Personally i stopped trying .
I like the Focals And Denon closed backs ...but again they dont sound like 660s.
But i don't use EQ on any headphone so it dont know if with some eq can be done something.

May 14, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #8,169 of 9,628
Cheers!!!

Good Times!!

Vali 2+ & JAN 6CG7 & Senn HD660S.jpg
Vali 2+ & Senn HD650 & Senn HD660S.jpg

May 15, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #8,170 of 9,628

Funny enough I had the opposite problem. That is I was looking for an open back to compliment my German closed back and chose 660 as adorama had their deal.

Not all knowing on closed backs, but i've had my fair share of german closed backs both modern relatively speaking and vintage.

Anyway I found it funny in recent times Beyer has soften their signature a bit almost into Sennheiser type territory, and this 660s is almost like a Beyer spice was added.

Some closed backs which I would think would work if you like the German style sound similar to 660 is DT150 w/ velour pads. Or t5p.II w/ 1770 coolmax velour pads.

At worst, both will match sound quality of 660s and will extend better both sides of spectrum with very good mids. Though both are not as breatheable as an open back, they can present "air" in the context of sound pretty well. And if you want more hardcore German sound, hd250, linear I I think is one of the best, and even more hardcore dt48/480. I am joking on the dt48/480 , they really are for a specific type.

But yeah basically, dt150 w/ velour and t5p.ii w/ 1770 coolmax. This way you can buy a used t5p.ii and get pads off uk amazon. I personally think the tesla driver angled is superior to the 660 hd700 looking one. t5p.ii I made comment it sounded like a Sennheiser w/ coolmax pads. Like a super 580/600

Ofc if you're a baller, there are much better sounds than 660 in a closed form I bet, but the above two are more in line with 660 to me.

and as always YMMV and double check with some other higher ranking members. I am peasant level here.

May 17, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #8,171 of 9,628
Honestly i dont think u will ever find a closed back that sounds like 660s. Personally i stopped trying .
I like the Focals And Denon closed backs ...but again they dont sound like 660s.
But i don't use EQ on any headphone so it dont know if with some eq can be done something.
Thanks for the advice on this. After reading your reply I shifted my thinking and had a chance to pick up a d9200 for about half off and just missed out. Hunted a bit a found a new ZMF Eikon that someone hadn’t picked up at my local retailer. Not 1:1 same but I think they’re similar.

May 17, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #8,172 of 9,628
Funny enough I had the opposite problem. That is I was looking for an open back to compliment my German closed back and chose 660 as adorama had their deal.

Not all knowing on closed backs, but i've had my fair share of german closed backs both modern relatively speaking and vintage.

Anyway I found it funny in recent times Beyer has soften their signature a bit almost into Sennheiser type territory, and this 660s is almost like a Beyer spice was added.

Some closed backs which I would think would work if you like the German style sound similar to 660 is DT150 w/ velour pads. Or t5p.II w/ 1770 coolmax velour pads.

At worst, both will match sound quality of 660s and will extend better both sides of spectrum with very good mids. Though both are not as breatheable as an open back, they can present "air" in the context of sound pretty well. And if you want more hardcore German sound, hd250, linear I I think is one of the best, and even more hardcore dt48/480. I am joking on the dt48/480 , they really are for a specific type.

But yeah basically, dt150 w/ velour and t5p.ii w/ 1770 coolmax. This way you can buy a used t5p.ii and get pads off uk amazon. I personally think the tesla driver angled is superior to the 660 hd700 looking one. t5p.ii I made comment it sounded like a Sennheiser w/ coolmax pads. Like a super 580/600

Ofc if you're a baller, there are much better sounds than 660 in a closed form I bet, but the above two are more in line with 660 to me.

and as always YMMV and double check with some other higher ranking members. I am peasant level here.
Thanks for the reply. Im going to have to hunt for some Beyers. They’re not super available where I am but can be found with a bit of a trek. Seems like the not-so-expensive Beyers can be quite good with a bit of pad rolling.

May 17, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #8,173 of 9,628
Well took a dive and got HD660s from Adorama sale, i remember early reviews bashing it to ground as overly expensive and unnatural timbre.

Don't have HD6xx with me now so i go by audio memory but HD660s is definetly better for my taste.

Snappier sound, less bloat, better separation and imaging, no veil.

But I can understand why some prefer HD6xx, HD660s ain't as much mellow/smooth, but i think its smooth enough.

May 18, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #8,174 of 9,628
Well took a dive and got HD660s from Adorama sale, i remember early reviews bashing it to ground as overly expensive and unnatural timbre.

Don't have HD6xx with me now so i go by audio memory but HD660s is definetly better for my taste.

Snappier sound, less bloat, better separation and imaging, no veil.

But I can understand why some prefer HD6xx, HD660s ain't as much mellow/smooth, but i think its smooth enough.
HD650 = Brandy
HD660s = Cognac

They are kind of the same, sometimes hard to tale apart, but do a A and B test, ( with some good music thank you... ), And you will soon prefer one over the other.

Cheers..

May 19, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #8,175 of 9,628
Thanks for the advice on this. After reading your reply I shifted my thinking and had a chance to pick up a d9200 for about half off and just missed out. Hunted a bit a found a new ZMF Eikon that someone hadn’t picked up at my local retailer. Not 1:1 same but I think they’re similar.
D9200 to me are just amazing u don't need anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JM
Back