Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #7,447 of 9,627
I've finally been introduced to HD6xx series and got 650 at home and honestly even though I tried hard I don't really understand why there is so much hype around them. I had hopes that they will scale insanely with OTL amp, but did see little improvement. The good thing is that they are non fatiguing and has a decent sounding vocals, but that's nearly about it. As an openback very closed in sound, subbass information missing, treble rolled off which I don't mind, but sound signature as a whole is a bit dirty poo poo. For the retail price that they go in my country I think I could find better offerings in mid-tier. Maybe hd6xx series is hyped because it has been in the market for so long and is driven by sentiments of people. I won't give up on HD650 for now, they are comfy and could be ok as a backup hp. I've seen few mods, though removing foam cover gave more detail presence, but as well brought extra dirt/roughness to the sound. Sorry for ramblings, it seems I had too high expectations for this hp.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #7,448 of 9,627
I've finally been introduced to HD6xx series and got 650 at home and honestly even though I tried hard I don't really understand why there is so much hype around them. I had hopes that they will scale insanely with OTL amp, but did see little improvement. The good thing is that they are non fatiguing and has a decent sounding vocals, but that's nearly about it. As an openback very closed in sound, subbass information missing, treble rolled off which I don't mind, but sound signature as a whole is a bit dirty poo poo. For the retail price that they go in my country I think I could find better offerings in mid-tier. Maybe hd6xx series is hyped because it has been in the market for so long and is driven by sentiments of people. I won't give up on HD650 for now, they are comfy and could be ok as a backup hp. I've seen few mods, though removing foam cover gave more detail presence, but as well brought extra dirt/roughness to the sound. Sorry for ramblings, it seems I had too high expectations for this hp.
It is the same headphone, AFAIK. The HD6XX's are just re-badged HD650's, but a lot cheaper.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #7,449 of 9,627
It is the same headphone, AFAIK. The HD6XX's are just re-badged HD650's, but a lot cheaper.

In that manner there is no point for hd650 to exist now :O Well at least 650 was better than 600 for me, but I really don't see any huge scaling capabilities which I hoped for. Basically PM2 or Clears attached to my laptop wipes the floor with HD650 being attached to external dac & decent otl amp

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #7,450 of 9,627
Which amps have you heard them with?

I have heard them with a Crack and a WA22 and I thought it sounded really good.

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #7,453 of 9,627
Maybe hd6xx series is hyped because it has been in the market for so long and is driven by sentiments of people.

Nah. That's because still to this day they measure on average better than most other open over-ears out there, regardless of price, at least between 300hz and 4000-5000hz or so - and sufficiently well that anything else is at best a side-grade in that FR range.
That being said like a lot of open-ears their response below 200-300hz is highly perfectible, and above 5000hz or so individual variations because of anatomical reasons can become quite severe.
You may want to try your hand at EQing them, that's the cheapest way to get the largest dividends in SQ with these.

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #7,454 of 9,627
Which amps have you heard them with?

I have heard them with a Crack and a WA22 and I thought it sounded really good.

I've used them with Feliks Echo 2, I believe that Crack is step above than echo, but still was hoping for HD650 to open up more. In all regards the difference against my macbook headphone jack is not that big, it has better control if I crank up the volume and more smooth signature with echo. As an openback they are so intimate, treble is missing air either way i plug them to SS or OTL amp. I wouldn't mind small soundstage if 650 had clean, technically solid sound, it may be my listening habits, but I have difficulties to properly place instruments, especially with more complex music can get a muddy mess for me. For electronic as well it has to be specific to match it, bass sounds a bit wooly to me, amazingly mastered Nicolas Jar - cenizas album sounds very mediocre over hd650. though 650 do great with non complex mid-centric/acoustic music. It is forgiving for older records as well which were not produced very well

Apr 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #7,455 of 9,627
I've used them with Feliks Echo 2, I believe that Crack is step above than echo, but still was hoping for HD650 to open up more. In all regards the difference against my macbook headphone jack is not that big, it has better control if I crank up the volume and more smooth signature with echo. As an openback they are so intimate, treble is missing air either way i plug them to SS or OTL amp. I wouldn't mind small soundstage if 650 had clean, technically solid sound, it may be my listening habits, but I have difficulties to properly place instruments, especially with more complex music can get a muddy mess for me. For electronic as well it has to be specific to match it, bass sounds a bit wooly to me, amazingly mastered Nicolas Jar - cenizas album sounds very mediocre over hd650. though 650 do great with non complex mid-centric/acoustic music. It is forgiving for older records as well which were not produced very well
Hi, have you try HD660s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back