Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 10, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #7,426 of 9,627
Hi, could you comment on the comparison between HD650 and HD660s?
I didn’t get the chance yet to compare 650 to the 660S, but I do prefer the 58X over the 650 so it’s safe to say I prefer the 660S over the 650. From memory, the 650 does have better resolution in the mids and treble than the 58X, and the 660S is probably very similar to the 650 in terms of resolution.

I did a short comparison with the Clear MG Pro last night, and I stand by what I said about the 660S being competitive with it. It’s got like 80% of the dynamic punch, but with better stock tonality. Even with EQ, the tonality on the Clear is not quite as good as the 660S, at least in the mids and treble. The 660S presents instrument timbre and vocals so darn well. You can even boost the sub bass a few dB with EQ, and the 660S takes it very well without distortion.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #7,427 of 9,627
I didn’t get the chance yet to compare 650 to the 660S, but I do prefer the 58X over the 650 so it’s safe to say I prefer the 660S over the 650. From memory, the 650 does have better resolution in the mids and treble than the 58X, and the 660S is probably very similar to the 650 in terms of resolution.

I did a short comparison with the Clear MG Pro last night, and I stand by what I said about the 660S being competitive with it. It’s got like 80% of the dynamic punch, but with better stock tonality. Even with EQ, the tonality on the Clear is not quite as good as the 660S, at least in the mids and treble. The 660S presents instrument timbre and vocals so darn well. You can even boost the sub bass a few dB with EQ, and the 660S takes it very well without distortion.

+1 Truth regarding Timbre. (Or rather from a musicians's pov lol)
Technological advances in technicality can go a long way, but nothing beats pure fidelity at a lower price!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #7,428 of 9,627
And in terms of clarity, detail and soundstage?

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #7,429 of 9,627
And in terms of clarity, detail and soundstage?
Well that is one thing the Clear has over the 660S. Imaging and soundstage are more speaker-like, in front of you on the Clear, and it’s super realistic. The 660S soundstage doesn’t improve drastically over the others in the line (650, 600, 58X), however the imaging does sound deeper and more natural on the 660S compared to the others. Detail is the best on the 660S compared to the others. It’s clear and clean, and not at all analytical. Not as detailed or resolving as the Clear MG, but gets really close for a third of the price.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #7,430 of 9,627
Well that is one thing the Clear has over the 660S. Imaging and soundstage are more speaker-like, in front of you on the Clear, and it’s super realistic. The 660S soundstage doesn’t improve drastically over the others in the line (650, 600, 58X), however the imaging does sound deeper and more natural on the 660S compared to the others. Detail is the best on the 660S compared to the others. It’s clear and clean, and not at all analytical. Not as detailed or resolving as the Clear MG, but gets really close for a third of the price.
It seems that Focal Clear is a good headphone. But the price of Focal's product is too high for me!

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #7,432 of 9,627
If you are located to USA then the Drop Elex is a great headphone.
Yeah but all those reports with failing drivers , bad cables , clipping , and miss matched measurements is something to consider for the price.
Focal was my go to company on Car audio when i was Child but i think they have a lot to learn about headphones.
Honestly nothing compares to Sennheiser quality control in my opinion.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #7,433 of 9,627
It seems that Focal Clear is a good headphone. But the price of Focal's product is too high for me!
Its an amazing headphone i had it and sell it .
I still have speakers from Focal but all those problems and the new series that came make me sell and wait for Clear MG reports and next year deside that or something else from Hifiman.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #7,434 of 9,627
Yeah but all those reports with failing drivers , bad cables , clipping , and miss matched measurements is something to consider for the price.
Focal was my go to company on Car audio when i was Child but i think they have a lot to learn about headphones.
I have been reading about the various issues but as an x Clear OG owner and current Elex I have to report only the best.
And the lucky new owner of my Clear haven't reported any issues.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #7,435 of 9,627
Like anything the negative is magnified.
I have had my Elex's for over a year and they are still perfect. Even the pads, although I just ordered a set from Drop to throw in the drawer. :ksc75smile:

They are probably my favourite headphone. If they ever do break or wear out, I'll buy some Clears.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #7,437 of 9,627
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #7,438 of 9,627
Like anything the negative is magnified.
I have had my Elex's for over a year and they are still perfect. Even the pads, although I just ordered a set from Drop to throw in the drawer. :ksc75smile:

They are probably my favourite headphone. If they ever do break or wear out, I'll but some Clears.
Yeahp i have to agree on that negatives on everything not only headphones are always magnified.
Did u ever measure your Elex ?

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #7,440 of 9,627
Yeahp i have to agree on that negatives on everything not only headphones are always magnified.
Did u ever measure your Elex ?
No sir, wouldn't know how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back