Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 16, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,051 of 9,628
The problem about importing here is that Brazil customs charge us 60% of the product value plus shipping. So, for example, if this hd600 costs 330 with shipping, i would have to pay $198 of customs charges, bringing it up to $528. The only way i've seen that it's difficult for them to charge us, is by purchasing via aliexpress. That's why i listed Zeus and GL2000 too, because of their original prices at aliexpress.
Zeus have good reviews and beryllium drivers i think, but i dont know i never had a headphone from this company. Maybe if i could find them used for 250 i will buy them but for more than that i dont know.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #7,052 of 9,628
Also i have both 6xx and 660s. The 6xx is new but i burned them for like at least 50 hours and i can say now both have enough sub-bass and especially bass and are neutral maybe even a little bit warm on some songs ( 6xx has even more bass after burn in) . The only thing I don't like about them is that both seems to struggle a bit with instrument separation in heavy songs with blended instrumental on the same frequency spectrum. I use them with little EQ and I like the smooth sound with good low end. As i know hd 600 and 800 doesn't really have bass so I doubt you would like your metal songs without bass, I don't for example.
I can hear that also sepperattion is better on 660s compared to 650 but compare to for example Sundara yeah they dont separate instruments so good , i think its the smaller soundstage and none angled drivers that dont help but this is something that honestly i prefer it feels more natural to my ears it reminds me the real life music that i have the singer in front of me and around the instruments drums guitar dont seperate they blend together but i can hear the direction if i close my ears. So personally i dont think the air between the instruments that make us seperate better with headphones is something u hear in real life .

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #7,053 of 9,628
Hi, sorry newbie question - you mention “Rev 2’s” - have the 660S’s been updated since launch? My pair just got delivered today so also running in, very impressed on initial listening.
I think its the facelift that all HD6 series got 2 years ago when they moved to Romania , there was some hybrids the first year made in Romania but look like the old ones.
Now i am sure the new ones are all the same.
There was some reports of warmer 660s but i cant say i have use 1 old and 2 new facelift and all sound the same ( the old one had used pads and sounded a little different but only noticable with some songs and side by side)

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #7,055 of 9,628
Cosmetic only...unless they don't sound as nice when drinking Guinness. : )
Guinness deserves your full attention!

I'll come back to you all after the burn in period - especially you Rob if I may - as I'm wondering about the comparison with the 800's. Also thrown into the mix is the iFi Zen Can Signature amp. Now both are here I can assess the combination, but before anyone asks, I've can't reference the 58X, 6XX, 600 or 650's as I've never heard them.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #7,056 of 9,628
Guinness deserves your full attention!
..........Rob if I may - as I'm wondering about the comparison with the 800's. ........

Well there really isn’t one, while tonally there may be similarities to a house sound, comparisons with the 800 end there. Again it’s early days and while I did have the 660S three years ago, these new ones going from memory (a dangerous thing)appear warmer, the real comparisons come down to the HD58X.

Needless to say the 800/S are like stepping into a luxuries restaurant, where an aura of sophistication and detail become very evident, the space opens up but still layers of richness. The HD660S and HD58X are a smaller venue, more intimate and while the 660 are slightly more polished with a higher selection on tap and better wines, the 58X is still a nice place to visit, affordable, maybe with a few slip ups but forgivable.

Sorry for the restaurant analogies, must be the lock down and imposed restrictions, but I’ll go into more detail later.

Just to add...sounds I was listening to.
“The Billion Dollar Brain” Nanoplex, “Myopi” Agnes Obel, “Remixes” Kraftwerk, Wild Flowers in the Garden” Amber Rubarth, “Momente” Karlheinz Stockhausen, “Not for Nothin” Dave Holland Quintet.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #7,058 of 9,628
While I agree on the technical performance between the 660S and the 800S I find the 660s more naturally tuned and enjoyable in the long run.
Same here...like the 6 series better than I liked my 800.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #7,059 of 9,628
800 and 800s not the same

800 very very very bad
800S very very very good

;-D

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #7,060 of 9,628
800 and 800s not the same

800 very very very bad
800S very very very good

;-D

Thanks we understand that they are not exactly the same :).

Going from very very very bad to very very very good between HD800 and HD800s is something that i heard first time. Most people having both say that there is some small smoothnes on high peaks and thats it honestly they say that is so small difference that a small mod make them sound the same.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #7,061 of 9,628
While I agree on the technical performance between the 660S and the 800S I find the 660s more naturally tuned and enjoyable in the long run.
Similarly, will admit the HD58Xs, also a 150-ohm, get the most ear time as they really are the more versatile, throw em on for movies, plug em into my iphone, laptop and the bedside set-up with the SMSL Sap Amp and FIIO...the 800S have been with me almost 5 years and at get relegated to critical listening and are not going anywhere.
This new pair of 660S are to replace the HD58X's but double up with the 800S for a more intimate chilled listen, as they will benefit with the pairing of better sources and amplification.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #7,062 of 9,628
Sorry for the restaurant analogies....

Just to add...sounds I was listening to.
“The Billion Dollar Brain” Nanoplex, “Myopi” Agnes Obel, “Remixes” Kraftwerk, Wild Flowers in the Garden” Amber Rubarth, “Momente” Karlheinz Stockhausen, “Not for Nothin” Dave Holland Quintet.
You're speaking to a man who's used to bar food :wink:

Thanks for the track listing - that is genuinely useful.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #7,063 of 9,628
You're speaking to a man who's used to bar food :wink:

Thanks for the track listing - that is genuinely useful.
Yep...I'm sadly missing my local pub, a frothy one accompanied with a burger and fries....:beers:

...and my current rig...
Bryston BHA-1 and Cambridge Audio CXN V2.
Feb 17.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back