Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #6,826 of 9,626
But an amp with a not balanced door (as the K5 pro) could be used with a balanced cable with an adaptor or its non sense? Sorry in advance for the stupid question
You can use an adapter with a balanced cable to go to an unbalanced amp, but for your information you cannot do the reverse - unbalanced cable with an adapter to a balanced amp is bad. It's not going to improve anything by doing this, obviously. It's for people that don't want to swap cables often and keep their balanced cable attached to the headphone side when swapping to single ended amplifiers.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #6,828 of 9,626
I would not buy a balanced cable for use with the HD660S.

Why not? I bought an affordable balanced cable from Amazon.ca for them and they sound Great out of my Liquid Platinum. I am listening to that combo right now and have been for several days.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #6,830 of 9,626
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #6,831 of 9,626
I would not buy a balanced cable for use with the HD660S.

Well my consideration was arriving from your previous suggestion that would be hard to notice particular differences, especially for a novice, between a balance system or not. But if Im gonna choose a non balanced amp with just the cost of a proper balanced cable and adaptator I could build a bit better overall system... why you think I should not do with 660s? just to understand thnx

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #6,832 of 9,626
Well my consideration was arriving from your previous suggestion that would be hard to notice particular differences, especially for a novice, between a balance system or not. But if Im gonna choose a non balanced amp with just the cost of a proper balanced cable and adaptator I could build a bit better overall system... why you think I should not do with 660s? just to understand thnx
Why would you buy a balanced cable with an adaptor for a non balanced amp, buy single ended. You are so confused

edit: stop worrying about the balanced/non balanced stuff, use the STOCK cable and just buy a decent amp/dac like the jds atom stack or schiit stack (single ended/non-balanced). Got it now? K good.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,834 of 9,626
@njghtfall If you're using a translator from English to Italian I can see why you're confused, I was just looking at that because I was curious. Haha.

Actually my english it's very far from being good but I am not using any translator dude, and to be honest...I do not need one. For sure it's not cause my english that I am ''confused'' :). I wrote clearely that I am completely new about those things, if not I would not be here to ask info...

By the way you wrote: " You can use an adapter with a balanced cable to go to an unbalanced amp, but for your information you cannot do the reverse "

So the only thing I replied (not to you, but to cel 4145) was the reason why I was thinking: ''ok maybe I wont feel a substantial difference with a balance system but being possible to put an adaptator on a balance cable AS YOU SAID, I was wondering that could have been convenient anyway to pay the little Premium Price for a balance cable''. Thats all!

And both of you said not, but I do not get your tone and irritation.
Anyway thank you for your suggestions.

Ciao!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #6,835 of 9,626
Moderately priced, well-designed single ended amps have such low noise and distortion that it is arguably inaudible.

SE amps of course can be very silent, yes :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #6,838 of 9,626
Thats what got me. I was planing on getting the 6xx and a Darkvoice, but that's too good a price to get what everyone says is much better imaging.
Pulled the trigger this morning after sleeping on it (and it still being their).

Only have a LG V40 with Tidal for my ancient (and fatiguing) HD590's that I got in 2004.
Plan to add Liquid Spark unless I can snag that Liquid Platinum for a great deal ($400 still too rich for me after dropping $350 on the phones).

Unless anyone has better amp ideas.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #6,839 of 9,626
Thats what got me. I was planing on getting the 6xx and a Darkvoice, but that's too good a price to get what everyone says is much better imaging.
Pulled the trigger this morning after sleeping on it (and it still being their).

Only have a LG V40 with Tidal for my ancient (and fatiguing) HD590's that I got in 2004.
Plan to add Liquid Spark unless I can snag that Liquid Platinum for a great deal ($400 still too rich for me after dropping $350 on the phones).

I also currently only have an LG V40 and am choosing between the HD660s and the AT wp900.
Although these are completely different headphones.
Good price here on Adorama
We are not so lucky in Europe (389€)

regards,
Simon

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #6,840 of 9,626

The LG V40 should probably drive the HD660S very well for you, unless you listen very loud or add a lot of bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back