Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #6,796 of 9,626
Thank you for your impressions! It really helps the community when people add their impressions and experiences to build a consensus. It’s always fun to see recommended song pairings as well!
An off-topic question i have the hd25 anniversary the yellow pads , and i want to buy hd25 light version with extra velur pads do they have the same sound signature.
Sory for off-topic.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6,799 of 9,626
I am loving my HD660S. The more I use them the more I am really appreciating the sound. The imaging is sooo good. I still really love my HD600 and 6XX as well but these are very good.
Thats the first WOW factor that i got from 660s this imaging . Its really strange that most reviews dont say that.
Just close your eyes Listen this soundtrack and u will understand.
R-1306664-1318369920.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #6,800 of 9,626
Thats the first WOW factor that i got from 660s this imaging . Its really strange that most reviews dont say that.
Just close your eyes Listen this soundtrack and u will understand.
R-1306664-1318369920.jpeg.jpg
I agree. The imaging is the best I have ever heard. It makes certain songs very trippy.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #6,801 of 9,626
Hi

What you would suggest to pair as DAC/AMP for my HD660S? I would not spend more than 200-250 euro maybe less if there is something valuable.

I got suggested the IFI Zen DAC, that seems having very good reviews and a great value for money (149 Euro) and with both AMP/DAC included.

Also I got Loxjie D30 as another product suggested.

I'm open to any advice, but my usage at the moment is more focused on competitive gaming and movies.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #6,803 of 9,626
The Elex sounds perfect to me.I think clipping only occurs at high volumes and that is not me. I stay between 65 and 75db's and have not noticed any imbalance. They are Amazing headphones. My favorites are Grado 1A and Elex 1B. And then the HD660 is very bare bones, to me and the Sundara just smoothes everything out. Awesome rotation.

My chain is DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) which feeds two amps. I prefer My Elex's out of the Monoprice Liquid Platinum via balanced out.
I also have a Violectric HPA V220 which I enjoy very much
Hi Shane, sorry if it’s off topic.. is the balanced out of the ZX300 adequate for Sundara? Seems okay with the HD660s. I just ordered one so wanted to confirm, cheers

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #6,804 of 9,626
Hi

What you would suggest to pair as DAC/AMP for my HD660S? I would not spend more than 200-250 euro maybe less if there is something valuable.

I got suggested the IFI Zen DAC, that seems having very good reviews and a great value for money (149 Euro) and with both AMP/DAC included.

I'm open to any advice, but my usage at the moment is more focused on competitive gaming and movies.

Thanks!
D30 is a significantly more accurate measuring DAC / amp than Zen DAC. So accurate, that it is easily arguable that it is noise and distortion free within the range of human hearing. You can't get better audio reproduction fidelity than that.

Check the measurements in the Audio Science Review. You will see what I mean.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #6,805 of 9,626
Hi Shane, sorry if it’s off topic.. is the balanced out of the ZX300 adequate for Sundara? Seems okay with the HD660s. I just ordered one so wanted to confirm, cheers

I haven't tried, but I would guess not. My Sundara's are my hardest to drive headphones (DT880's are not with me and sold the HD600's last night).

I tried my ZX300 with my Elex's out of 3.5mm. It was Not a good match.

You will likely be well into high gain. My Sundara's and Elex's are Amazing out of my Liquid Platinum.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #6,806 of 9,626
D30 is a significantly more accurate measuring DAC / amp than Zen DAC. So accurate, that it is easily arguable that it is noise and distortion free within the range of human hearing. You can't get better audio reproduction fidelity than that.

Check the measurements in the Audio Science Review. You will see what I mean.

Seems quite hard to fins available though at least here in Italy before the end of Cecember. The Fiio K5 pro suggested by ics seems very interesting too, more than ifi zen Dac. But I dunno if K5 can accept balanced cable

Dunno at this point

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #6,807 of 9,626
Seems quite hard to fins available though at least here in Italy before the end of Cecember. The Fiio K5 pro suggested by ics seems very interesting too, more than ifi zen Dac. But I dunno if K5 can accept balanced cable

Dunno at this point

K5 Pro has single-ended headphone output only. But it doesn't need balanced. It can easily drive the HD660S to volumes that are unhealthy.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #6,808 of 9,626
K5 Pro has single-ended headphone output only. But it doesn't need balanced. It can easily drive the HD660S to volumes that are unhealthy.
Hi

Thanks!
I haven't heard the IFI but it gets great reviews. But don't necessarily be swayed by balanced. I have a couple of devices that output balanced, some days I feel I can tell a difference, other days I can't. It can be very subjective. There's something about the K5 that makes me need to try it. If I was buying either right now, I'd personally get the K5 (for the looks only).

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #6,809 of 9,626
Hi

Thanks!
Ifi are good i prefer nano and micro compared to zen and hip dac the new ones zen and hip dac surely don have the power of nano and micro on SE unbalanced ... I also use k5pro that i got for my Sundara ( very hungry headphones) . And i have 5-6 hours use the 660s on k5 pro also and i have to say its amazing i didnt expect it.

The new zen and hip have 4.4 so u get more power ... But k5pro already has way more than both of them on 3.5 and u can use every headphone.
This balance option to me doesnt make sense if u have many headphones also its not about balanced or not its all about the quality of dac amp... People saying that balanced sounds better are correct not because the connection does anything its the circuit and the more power that u get, but if u already have good dac and power on Single ended unbalanced then there is no difference.

Ifi sound more open on soundstage with gto filter 5.3c that i use... But i have returned to my micro back to 5.3 just to check some things.
K5pro doesnt need drivers on windows 10 but it has if u want , it has many outputs and inputs and optical also there is an adapter inside that i have it always on to use 3.5 it has power break and a lot a lot of power i use the power 1 for 660s and power 2 for Sundara and 650 600. I never used gain 3 its to much. The volume knob feeling its just ok not like IFI that is to me perfect , but i hate the inputs on ifi they always feel loose they never click inside positive like every other dac amp phone or pc that i use, oh and k5pro is warmer than ifi sound signature. HD650 sounds.better with ifi.

So if u gone use only 660s with 4.4 go for zen if u have more headphones and Planars or very power hungry get the k5pro .
Thats my personal opinion :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #6,810 of 9,626
I haven't heard the IFI but it gets great reviews. But don't necessarily be swayed by balanced. I have a couple of devices that output balanced, some days I feel I can tell a difference, other days I can't. It can be very subjective. There's something about the K5 that makes me need to try it. If I was buying either right now, I'd personally get the K5 (for the looks only).
If the headphones used, take the power they want balanced or not there is no difference.

I really cant do all that Balanced thing with all that cables xlr , 2.5 , 3.5, 4.4 balanced connections making all these different cables that by the way doesnt make difference .
A good dac amp with SE unbalanced 3.5 that is compatible with everything its just perfect...
Ps. Like i said yes there is difference on balanced only if u need more power and the dac cant give on SE or it use different better Circuit for balance thats another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back