Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #6,316 of 9,626
True there are some nice cables out.
I remember that u had some.advices .
Will u give them again for people to see ?
For europe.also ?

Missed this post. I don't have much cable advice. I use Forza AudioWorks cables and I very much like the ergonomics and feel. I think the sound also improved (maybe placebo) - but not 100% sure as I didn't A/B like crazy. Initial thought was that the sound was a bit more lush, which would make sense since I used the FAW Noir and Claire HPC cables (copper) on the 600 and 660S.

However, one interesting thing: a couple of months ago I ordered an ADL (Furutech) Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 Upgrade Cable - iHP-35S (6.3mm) from Audio Sanctuary in the UK. I was going to keep it to use with my HD-600 that is stuck at the office. But a month ago I noticed that if I would push in the FAW cable connector on the right cup of my HD-600, there was a fuzzy sound, like there is a 1) too pushed in, 2) just right, and 3) not pushed in enough position. This is weird because the FAW connectors really have to be forced in there, being a bit bigger than stock. I was worried my HD-600 female port meeting the connector was somehow the issue. I swapped to the ADL cable and (with an easy push) it locked in so firmly and nicely, plus there is no movement. It feels solid. The cable length is rubber, so the ergonomics are a bit lower that FAW, but it has zero microphonics and feels like amazing quality. So, all this to say that I really recommend the ADL cable. It is also a bit cheaper than the top-tier FAW cables.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #6,318 of 9,626
Missed this post. I don't have much cable advice. I use Forza AudioWorks cables and I very much like the ergonomics and feel. I think the sound also improved (maybe placebo) - but not 100% sure as I didn't A/B like crazy. Initial thought was that the sound was a bit more lush, which would make sense since I used the FAW Noir and Claire HPC cables (copper) on the 600 and 660S.

However, one interesting thing: a couple of months ago I ordered an ADL (Furutech) Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 Upgrade Cable - iHP-35S (6.3mm) from Audio Sanctuary in the UK. I was going to keep it to use with my HD-600 that is stuck at the office. But a month ago I noticed that if I would push in the FAW cable connector on the right cup of my HD-600, there was a fuzzy sound, like there is a 1) too pushed in, 2) just right, and 3) not pushed in enough position. This is weird because the FAW connectors really have to be forced in there, being a bit bigger than stock. I was worried my HD-600 female port meeting the connector was somehow the issue. I swapped to the ADL cable and (with an easy push) it locked in so firmly and nicely, plus there is no movement. It feels solid. The cable length is rubber, so the ergonomics are a bit lower that FAW, but it has zero microphonics and feels like amazing quality. So, all this to say that I really recommend the ADL cable. It is also a bit cheaper than the top-tier FAW cables.
I'm thinking about some wywires platinum cables for the empyrean/lcd 4, but I can get the sony mdr z7 for a lot less and then I have another can, not just a cable. Thoughts?

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #6,319 of 9,626
I'm thinking about some wywires platinum cables for the empyrean/lcd 4, but I can get the sony mdr z7 for a lot less and then I have another can, not just a cable. Thoughts?

So it's $500? I wouldn't pay that much for a cable when there are very premium feeling cables available for around half that price. My experience has been that a nice aftermarket cable can vastly improve the experience over a cheap stock cable. But will a $500 cable give you joy compared to a $200 one?

There are so many other ways to improve your audio experience than going from a premium cable to a super premium one. For example, try a good tube amp. It has been the best recommendation I received this year and I don't regret it.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #6,320 of 9,626
So it's $500? I wouldn't pay that much for a cable when there are very premium feeling cables available for around half that price. My experience has been that a nice aftermarket cable can vastly improve the experience over a cheap stock cable. But will a $500 cable give you joy compared to a $200 one?

There are so many other ways to improve your audio experience than going from a premium cable to a super premium one. For example, try a good tube amp. It has been the best recommendation I received this year and I don't regret it.
It's all good. I bought the Sony Z7 instead of a cable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #6,322 of 9,626

Even that i Love build quality of FAW cables , its strangely that no one has seen that these connectors are bigger ... i saw this from day one i had to push them hard inside and also they didnt click positive ,also my via blue 3.5 didint stay inside so i used adapter with tape to solve that , my sound works ok but for that price i expected something that has been using the same standard dimensions like original, I know that are a lot of people using amazong and ebay cables with bigger connectors and failing headphones i read a lot of them . (FAW said that its ok ) Anyways for now i use the original cable that goes inside perfectly .

From my xp what ever i tried on HD 6 series pads, cables , that are not original all of them didnt work even if they was expensive .
So yeah i have to agree with u even most people dont agree , Sennheiser cable and pads works the best to me.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #6,323 of 9,626
I saw that u have 4 amazing headphones and very expensive for anyone to have all of them .
Its easy for u to tell us pros and cons between those 4 headphones and how u feel about them compared to HD 660 ?
I don't want to be premature but I prefer the 600 over the 660s at this very moment, but I havent had a lot of time to listen unfortunately.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #6,325 of 9,626
I have a question for the forum. I have recieved my HD660s today and have been doing an AB comparison between the 660s and the HD599. In terms of power, I have been using a dragonfly cobalt or a chord mojo. I’ll be honest, I’m not blown away by the 660s compared to the 599’s and was wondering if that could be due to the amp/dac.
What is the general consensus of a good pairing for the 660s and amp/dac? I’ve read some good reviews on the schiit stack (magni3+/modi) but would that be better than my dragonfly/mojo?
Or should I get something completely different? My budget is £400-£500.
I’m new to the audiophile scene and the 660s are my first true step into the audiophile world (if you don’t count the 599’s), so and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #6,326 of 9,626
I have a question for the forum. I have recieved my HD660s today and have been doing an AB comparison between the 660s and the HD599. In terms of power, I have been using a dragonfly cobalt or a chord mojo. I’ll be honest, I’m not blown away by the 660s compared to the 599’s and was wondering if that could be due to the amp/dac.
What is the general consensus of a good pairing for the 660s and amp/dac? I’ve read some good reviews on the schiit stack (magni3+/modi) but would that be better than my dragonfly/mojo?
Or should I get something completely different? My budget is £400-£500.
I’m new to the audiophile scene and the 660s are my first true step into the audiophile world (if you don’t count the 599’s), so and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Your amp dacs are more than enough so forget about these.
I have hd599 and HD660s and i know these are different type of headphones... HD599 have way more fun sound they have more bass more soundstage more highs overall are more exciting headphones i know i use them everyday for games.
HD660 compared to HD599 are more neutral more smooth they have tighter bass and way better mids that are not covered by mid bass like hd599 , also after a lot of listening u gone understand that even if hd599 have more highs and soundstage the HD660 have way way waaaay more detail if u really listen that u will understand it after a lot of hours.

In the end of day HD599 are better for games and HD660 are better for music.
Ps. I know how u feel trust me when u have time with HD 600 650 660 u gone understand that even if they are smooth headphones u get a lot of detail and imaging.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #6,327 of 9,626
Your amp dacs are more than enough so forget about these.
I have hd599 and HD660s and i know these are different type of headphones... HD599 have way more fun sound they have more bass more soundstage more highs overall are more exciting headphones i know i use them everyday for games.
HD660 compared to HD599 are more neutral more smooth they have tighter bass and way better mids that are not covered by mid bass like hd599 , also after a lot of listening u gone understand that even if hd599 have more highs and soundstage the HD660 have way way waaaay more detail if u really listen that u will understand it after a lot of hours.

In the end of day HD599 are better for games and HD660 are better for music.
Ps. I know how u feel trust me when u have time with HD 600 650 660 u gone understand that even if they are smooth headphones u get a lot of detail and imaging.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll hold off getting a schiit stack or anything similar for the time being. I think after using the 599’s as my go to pair for so long, I just need to spend a bit more time only using the 660s to get used to them.
On a side note though, any recommended cable upgrades? As nice as the 9ft cable is, I’m never more than 3ft away from my device at any one time so that’s a lot of cable to be hefting around.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #6,328 of 9,626
Thanks for the reply! I’ll hold off getting a schiit stack or anything similar for the time being. I think after using the 599’s as my go to pair for so long, I just need to spend a bit more time only using the 660s to get used to them.
On a side note though, any recommended cable upgrades? As nice as the 9ft cable is, I’m never more than 3ft away from my device at any one time so that’s a lot of cable to be hefting around.

( In my opinion ) Upgrade cables dont worth it , first of all a good quality cable is expensive and when u buy it 99% u want see any upgrade on sound . So the original copper cable on HD 6series are more than enough for the sound they are minimal black color they dont have microphonics they dont tangled they are light also .

Personally i advice u to keep the Original cable and if u want u can buy a premium 3.5 or anything u want jack , and cut the original cable to your liking and connected .
There are many stores or electrician's that can easily cut your cable and connect the 3.5 or 6.5 jack that u want for just 5 euros .

Also if u care only about looks u can buy the original cable from Sennheiser at 10 euros cut it the meters u want add 5-10 euros jack and if u want can send it cover it with that kind of fabrics that they use.

If u want to experiment on sound u can buy also cheap original HD 25 cable that works on HD 6 seiries and its not copper its steal and sound a little bit bright

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6,329 of 9,626
Something like that for example https://www.soundimage.gr/product/r...BfdHlwZSI6IndlYiIsImNwIjoiZiIsInRhZ3MiOiIifV0

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #6,330 of 9,626
At the end I bought them and yes....I have just received yesterday my brand new 660s. Even if the clamp is massive and they are made of plastic the build quality is well made in my opinion.

I came from 598se and previously hd555 and I used them mostly for competitive fps gaming, not having an audiophile background/interest.
Several feedbacks pushed me to buy the 660s for their improvement I would have gained in terms of imaging, ideally much more important respect the soundstage to understand footsteps ect. I always was impressed by my 555 and 598 so I bought the 660s just because they told me I would have seen at the end a positive difference.

Actually I do not have a amp/dac but just a soundcard and a very good Mobo to power the headset (if I will keep my 660s I think I will buy IFI Zen dac), but my first impression was not so good.
I heard everything more flat respect my 598 and they failed to give me clear infos of noise/footsteps in areas where I was used to have with my 598. I also hear less bass and ''dry sound respect'' the 598. But what worry me most is not seeing the boost in terms of imaging..

Could be because Im still not using any amp/dac and the requirement of my 598 are lower? or at the end because probably they have smaller soundstage respect the 598 (but im not sure about)?

I still have few weeks to try them before the deadline for the return will expire, so any opinion/or suggestion is welcomed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back