Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #6,241 of 9,626
IMHO after using all of these headphones for gaming (mostly FPS).

HD598 Good for FPS games. Not the best for music and the fun factor is not that high.

HD660S They sound way better in FPS games than HD598 BUT I have to keep the volume higher to hear all the faint footsteps (from other audio spectrum) and I get listening fatigue when playing longer sessions. Great imaging and I'm Ok with the soundstage while gaming. Great for music.

HD800S What can I say. Incredible for FPS, huge soundstage, fun factor is up there and great for music.

For FPS games only... my rank would be HD800S --> HD598 --> HD660S

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #6,242 of 9,626
The Game One, GSP 500 / 600 have very lightweight microfone arms, i do not feel any weight disbalance. The Game Zero should be the same. And yes the GSX1000 is perfect for gaming. The HD6XX series is much better for music though. That is just night and day.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #6,243 of 9,626
I can only agree with you, haha!

One thing that I’ve noticed, specifically for CoD Warzone but sometimes applicable in other games or with other DSP gear, is that if you use something with more moderate dynamic range, it will actually help quiet sounds like footsteps be louder and closer in relation to the gunfire. In Warzone, I like to go to options>Audio>Audio Mix and DON’T use the Studio Reference setting in multiplayer. For campaign mode, Studio Reference is great, but Home Theater or even Midnight Mode provides a tactical advantage.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #6,244 of 9,626

One thing that I’ve noticed, specifically for CoD Warzone but sometimes applicable in other games or with other DSP gear, is that if you use something with more moderate dynamic range, it will actually help quiet sounds like footsteps be louder and closer in relation to the gunfire. In Warzone, I like to go to options>Audio>Audio Mix and DON’T use the Studio Reference setting in multiplayer. For campaign mode, Studio Reference is great, but Home Theater or even Midnight Mode provides a tactical advantage.

+1

With FPS games and CoD Warzone I reduce the dynamic range with the SB G6 & Smart Volume. It makes playing more comfortable over longer sessions.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #6,245 of 9,626
IMHO after using all of these headphones for gaming (mostly FPS).

HD598 Good for FPS games. Not the best for music and the fun factor is not that high.

HD660S They sound way better in FPS games than HD598 BUT I have to keep the volume higher to hear all the faint footsteps (from other audio spectrum) and I get listening fatigue when playing longer sessions. Great imaging and I'm Ok with the soundstage while gaming. Great for music.

HD800S What can I say. Incredible for FPS, huge soundstage, fun factor is up there and great for music.

For FPS games only... my rank would be HD800S --> HD598 --> HD660S
Offtopic your photo is amazing can u uploaded ?it would look great outside of the earcups on closed back headphone.

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #6,246 of 9,626
Offtopic your photo is amazing can u uploaded ?it would look great outside of the earcups on closed back headphone.

Sorry but that is a no go. Thank you for the compliment though. The picture is unique and designed for my gaming purposes.

You mean something like this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

f2c2zsG.jpg

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #6,247 of 9,626
Thnx first of all for the replies. Well is sure that openback headphone are much better in competitive gaming despite of course you are doing lan/ or you need to isolate yourself from external noise.

The point is about soundstage that if is too wide is not gonna be better to hear more clearely footsteps and of course must not be also to narrow as it could be for hd600/650. Imaging seems the most important aspect for competitive gaming and 660s for what I understood shoul be the best out the 500/600 line of Sennheiser.

For example BD 1990pro people says that a wider soundstage and too much imaging in the same time give them so many infos that make them difficult to manage in competitive fps.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #6,248 of 9,626

I actually use the boost choice in warzone. It is very good for footsteps.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #6,250 of 9,626
Thnx first of all for the replies. Well is sure that openback headphone are much better in competitive gaming despite of course you are doing lan/ or you need to isolate yourself from external noise.

The point is about soundstage that if is too wide is not gonna be better to hear more clearely footsteps and of course must not be also to narrow as it could be for hd600/650. Imaging seems the most important aspect for competitive gaming and 660s for what I understood shoul be the best out the 500/600 line of Sennheiser.

For example BD 1990pro people says that a wider soundstage and too much imaging in the same time give them so many infos that make them difficult to manage in competitive fps.

DT1990 pro biggest problem arent the soundstage :) Its the HIGHS omg these Highs are sooooo bright , but i dont know about gaming with these.

For me yeah HD 660s are the best of the line by small percentage .

I think u should be ok with Headphones like HD 599, 598, Game ONE, unless if u want to change the signature and take something from AKG 7XX series or Beyers , if u Choose Beyer take the TYGR 300 with the new foam dampening in front of the driver that kills some of the highs and make them a little smoother. Some say Sundaras are also Great and they are if u are ok about quality control problems .

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #6,251 of 9,626
Sorry but that is a no go. Thank you for the compliment though. The picture is unique and designed for my gaming purposes.

You mean something like this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

f2c2zsG.jpg

I feel you man! I’m cool if people want to use the logo I put on a pair of my headphones once-upon-a-time, on the one condition that they have to declare themselves as part of Clan BPaq. We’re the backpack clan because we have to carry everyone else 🤣

IMG_0348.jpeg

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #6,253 of 9,626
Cheap and cheerful. The cable is pretty flimsy. I'm not really so sure about the build quality...

I have headphones from B&W B&O Dali these look and feel premium and compared to everything else like Beyers , Focals, Sennheiser etch etch all thesea look like cheap toys.
To be honest when i first open the box of HD 600 i thought that someone was making a joke to me , i even call the shop to ask if these are originals or fake.
I said omg what crap is this ? Pads without memory foam no aluminium no leather no alcantara nothing just a plastic construction putting them on my head made it worst the clamp force was so much and unbearable.
I was crying inside thinking why the hell i bought these..... Until i listen the first song i still remember the feeling it was breath taking i got goosebumps and almost cried listening Celine dion voice from these.
Now after years i get it ... They are plastic for a reason... Light Weight.
They dont use memmory foam for a reason openness.
They had clamping force for a reason to adjusted on my head after some time.

I have a lot of broken Headphones Bose pads and plastics that feel amazing was destroyed. B&W paint go away and left channel stop working after just one fall.
B&O pads are uncomfortable and very heavy ... HD6 series they look cheap but trust me ...They never brake and they use these materials for a reason that u gone find out after years.
I know that there are materials like alcantara but they dont breath like velvet senheiser pads and i know there are light weight materials like carbon fiber that coukd be used but this will get the cost way more without a reason.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #6,254 of 9,626
I have headphones from B&W B&O Dali these look and feel premium and compared to everything else like Beyers , Focals, Sennheiser etch etch all thesea look like cheap toys.
To be honest when i first open the box of HD 600 i thought that someone was making a joke to me , i even call the shop to ask if these are originals or fake.
I said omg what crap is this ? Pads without memory foam no aluminium no leather no alcantara nothing just a plastic construction putting them on my head made it worst the clamp force was so much and unbearable.
I was crying inside thinking why the hell i bought these..... Until i listen the first song i still remember the feeling it was breath taking i got goosebumps and almost cried listening Celine dion voice from these.
Now after years i get it ... They are plastic for a reason... Light Weight.
They dont use memmory foam for a reason openness.
They had clamping force for a reason to adjusted on my head after some time.

I have a lot of broken Headphones Bose pads and plastics that feel amazing was destroyed. B&W paint go away and left channel stop working after just one fall.
B&O pads are uncomfortable and very heavy ... HD6 series they look cheap but trust me ...They never brake and they use these materials for a reason that u gone find out after years.
I know that there are materials like alcantara but they dont breath like velvet senheiser pads and i know there are light weight materials like carbon fiber that coukd be used but this will get the cost way more without a reason.
Thanks this makes me feel better.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #6,255 of 9,626
Cheap and cheerful. The cable is pretty flimsy. I'm not really so sure about the build quality...

By the way a lot of people say Sennheiser cable is crap and i agree they look like crap BUT the connectors that goes inside the driver are the best u can find i have alot if photos proving that , also they dont have microphonics they are light they dont have memmory shape on them like most aftermarkets , the are oxygen copper free , So beside the look they done the job good .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back