Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #6,226 of 9,626
I have the Game One GSP500 and GSP600 for gaming. I always use a virtualization when gaming. When I decide to game, I am lazy. Whichever can is hooked to the PC at the time being is used for that session. The HD650 has seen many hours of gaming. The slightly veiled treble are very comfortable to the hearing system as they minimize ear fatigue caused by permanent gunfire and explosions. Combined with Dolby Headphone/Atmos or Creative Headphone surround or even Sonic for Windows the HD650 is very convincing. If I game with others I take the GSP500 or GSP600. The Game One is my Skype weapon of choice for saving the world during the day in the office. All other cans are primarily used for music only.
You have HD660S and HD650. Which is better for gaming. Did you try both for gaming.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #6,227 of 9,626
While you are at it can you list best surround DSP/DAC under or around $200 mark. One I could think of is PC Sound Card ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.
I'm not a believer in "best" due to how much the effect of the shape of your head and ears (more unique than your fingerprint) can match up or not match with a particular HRTF/surround DSP technique. I can, however list a few options for exploring.
  • Dolby Headphone products
    • Asus
    • Astro
    • vintage Turtle Beach
    • vintage Marantz
    • Beyerdynamic Headzone (?)
  • Dolby Atmos Headphone
    • licensed to be built-in to some games
    • Some variant of this can be purchased to be used on Windows operating system, not seen great reviews
  • THX Surround
    • Partnership with Creative Labs, vintage products from a decade ago
  • SBX Surround
    • Creative Lab's continuation/replacement for THX Surround
  • Sennheiser Binaural Engine
    • Included in some of Sennheiser's "D" gaming headsets with USB cables
    • GSX 1000/1200 USB sound card; same audio quality, 1200 model includes chat passthrough feature for LAN tournaments
    • some wireless headsets for TV watching
  • Super X-Fi
    • Mobile app supposedly allows for customization based on pictures of your ear
    • I haven't tested this
  • Sony
    • Proprietary processing for the Playstation VR?
    • 7.1 surround (2D) for Playstation headsets
  • NX Waves
    • Available as a software license?
    • Included built-in to Audeze Mobius and similar HyperX Orbit gaming headsets
  • Smyth SVS
    • designed for the Smyth Realiser
    • Part of the custom-measured surround profiles
    • Requires hardcore setup and configuration for optimal performance.
  • Silent Cinema
    • Yamaha's proprietary headphone surround feature in some of their home theater receivers.
    • Other HT Receiver brands may have their own versions
  • Cirrus Audio
    • I know little about this, but they include some kind of proprietary DSP on some computer motherboards.

Those are ones I've tried. I have some old reviews of Creative products in my blog, these days I'm usually sticking to my Smyth Realiser or GSX1000, double amped. Your mileage would vary!

I have the Game One GSP500 and GSP600 for gaming. I always use a virtualization when gaming. When I decide to game, I am lazy. Whichever can is hooked to the PC at the time being is used for that session. The HD650 has seen many hours of gaming. The slightly veiled treble are very comfortable to the hearing system as they minimize ear fatigue caused by permanent gunfire and explosions. Combined with Dolby Headphone/Atmos or Creative Headphone surround or even Sonic for Windows the HD650 is very convincing. If I game with others I take the GSP500 or GSP600. The Game One is my Skype weapon of choice for saving the world during the day in the office. All other cans are primarily used for music only.
I just used my PC37X (essentially an all-black Game One) today on a conference call! Works well with the headphone surround built-in to PUBG Mobile, too.

I agree, just having a surround DSP makes a significant difference with any headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #6,228 of 9,626
Should I be recommending HD6xx or HD660S for gaming.

Hd660s have a little more open soundstage that is mostly do to better imaging and air between instruments.

HD6 series are amazing for stereo music and just ok for gaming there is no headphone in the market that do all of them great. So keep your HD6 series for stereo music they are phenomenal and hard to find better under 1.000 euros.

About gaming .... HD599 from Sennheiser is the best i have tried.
TYGR (tigers) 300 From Beyer are the best from them.
Philips X2HR the best from philips
AKG 712 pro from AKG.
And last one that i never heard but a lot of people say its poor mans gaming headphone are the Chinese 668b .

About sundara are amazing but at 150-200euro cost not more. The driver failures the 1 year warranty ,the weight, the none adjustable pads , etch etch are not worth the price of 380 in europe for that money u can buy 1 set for music and one for games .

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #6,229 of 9,626
You have HD660S and HD650. Which is better for gaming. Did you try both for gaming.
I have both 660s are little better but none of them great. I also have dolby and dts from Windows store they are ok for some games not all of them.
For music always turn off these.
Most games like PUBG already have a codec inside the game and if HRTF in on and Dolby at the same time then u gone think that u are inside a tunnel.
And really windows codec do the same so not worth the 20 euros that i paid.
Some games to be honest like Shadow of tomb raider works amazing with dolby but there are no many games.
In my opinion just buy a headphone for gaming and nothing more.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #6,230 of 9,626
As I wrote I always use virtual headphone surround. You can use both equally. For music I prefer the HD660S.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #6,233 of 9,626
I have both 660s are little better but none of them great. I also have dolby and dts from Windows store they are ok for some games not all of them.
For music always turn off these.
Most games like PUBG already have a codec inside the game and if HRTF in on and Dolby at the same time then u gone think that u are inside a tunnel.
And really windows codec do the same so not worth the 20 euros that i paid.
Some games to be honest like Shadow of tomb raider works amazing with dolby but there are no many games.
In my opinion just buy a headphone for gaming and nothing more.
I'm still finding in-game codecs to be the exception rather than the normal situation, though they are included in several high-profile games (Battlefield series, Overwatch, PUBG, The Last of Us, but not the Call of Duty games, Fallout games, Destiny, etc). Also, they're usually less sophisticated than "branded" surround processing, even if they match well with the shape of your head and ears (this isn't a given). For example, Battlefield 4's built-in surround didn't image directions as clearly for me as Dolby Headphone, but I would take it over nothing. Overwatch's built-in processing is pretty advanced, but I still preferred my options. Once you find something that works well for you, it can be hard to find something better.
I agree, double-stacking HRTFs can make a mess, haha.

@KING DRANZER, I don't know all the different pieces of hardware around $200 right now... the hardware and prices change so fast, and I've kinda already found things that work for me, you know? Also, @Mad Lust Envy, @NamelessPFG, and I used to debate whether Dolby Headphone, Creative's SBX, or Creative's CMSS-3D were "best," but after I got a few Dolby Headphone devices (A Turtle Beach DSS and an Astro Mixamp 5.8) I concluded that we were each right, and "best" was actually dependent on which one suited our ears best. So, I'd rather explain what to listen for to evaluate if a surround DSP is good, so you can make your own choice. The quality of the DAC and Amplifier also makes a big difference, because they can increase the clarity and separation so that any processing is more distinct, so if you're looking at Asus, for example, a higher priced model with better components but the same Dolby processing would be better than a cheaper model.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #6,234 of 9,626
I'm still finding in-game codecs to be the exception rather than the normal situation, though they are included in several high-profile games (Battlefield series, Overwatch, PUBG, The Last of Us, but not the Call of Duty games, Fallout games, Destiny, etc).
You should definitely try Hunt: Showdown. Binaural audio ftw... it's the ultimate benchmark.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #6,235 of 9,626
I'm not a believer in "best" due to how much the effect of the shape of your head and ears (more unique than your fingerprint) can match up or not match with a particular HRTF/surround DSP technique. I can, however list a few options for exploring.

Glad you said that. I help out with recommendations on Reddit for headphones for gaming, and there is so much disagreement whether the HD58X, HD6XX, HD660, DT990, etc. are best for positional audio, when it seems they are all quite good. I really think an individual's head and ears have to affect which one is the best once one gets up to the better tier of open headphones for soundstage and imaging. And then the way a particular game is mixed must matter, too.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #6,236 of 9,626
Hi guys Im new in this forum even though I'm following it since a while! Im reading conflicting opinions about the performance of 660s in gaming, some people say that they are one of the best in class in term of imaging/positioning (good for competitive gaming especially) and bit wider than Hd600/650/6xx and others say the opposite..

Actually I have Sennh. 598 and my previous experience was with Sennh. 555 and I would like to ask, if someone could tell me please, if is worth the upgrade from my 598. to 660S.

Mostly the use would be competitive gaming, movie and music (but I do not have audiophile background for that).

thnx!

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #6,237 of 9,626
Hi guys Im new in this forum even though I'm following it since a while! Im reading conflicting opinions about the performance of 660s in gaming, some people say that they are one of the best in class in term of imaging/positioning (good for competitive gaming especially) and bit wider than Hd600/650/6xx and others say the opposite..

Actually I have Sennh. 598 and my previous experience was with Sennh. 555 and I would like to ask, if someone could tell me please, if is worth the upgrade from my 598. to 660S.

Mostly the use would be competitive gaming, movie and music (but I do not have audiophile background for that).

thnx!

There is a Conflict for some people if the are for games or not ... BUT there is no conflict if they have amazing imaging/positioning and that are a little better on soundsatge from 600 and 650 and thats because of the airiness that they have .

So in the end do they have better sound stage do they have better imaging are they better at games compared to HD 600 and HD 650 ? YES YES YES ....

Are they amazing on Gaming ??? NO and YES ... these HD 6 series are known for the close to head music stereo perfomance thats what they are best for , can been used for games ? yes they can and honestly they are better than most headphones that i have heard .... BUT
There is a big BUT .... Most gamers doesnt want this HD 6 series sound profile , Most gamers need a V sound Headphones , closed or open with HUGE soundstage and emphasized highs so they can hear footsteps .
To me there is no Perfect headphone for games and Music ... There are headphones like HD 600,650, 660s thata are perfect for Music with small differences and there are Gaming headphones that have way different sound profiles .

My advice is if u want Gaming Headphone then u should Buy HD 599, Gaming One, DT 990pro , TYGR300, DT770, depending your needs and taste on sound signature or just STAY with HD 598 that Have way better Soundstage they have drivers that are angled and more far of the ears they have Sennheiser smooth signature with some more excitement for games and lets not forget the COMFORT of the HD 5 series they are by far the most comfortable with low pressure nice velvet soft pads (some series have fake leather )

Personally i use HD 6 series for music and 5 Series with games ... So i think u get it now No conlifct for HD 6 series any more :)

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #6,238 of 9,626
There is a Conflict for some people if the are for games or not ... BUT there is no conflict if they have amazing imaging/positioning and that are a little better on soundsatge from 600 and 650 and thats because of the airiness that they have .

So in the end do they have better sound stage do they have better imaging are they better at games compared to HD 600 and HD 650 ? YES YES YES ....

Are they amazing on Gaming ??? NO and YES ... these HD 6 series are known for the close to head music stereo perfomance thats what they are best for , can been used for games ? yes they can and honestly they are better than most headphones that i have heard .... BUT
There is a big BUT .... Most gamers doesnt want this HD 6 series sound profile , Most gamers need a V sound Headphones , closed or open with HUGE soundstage and emphasized highs so they can hear footsteps .
To me there is no Perfect headphone for games and Music ... There are headphones like HD 600,650, 660s thata are perfect for Music with small differences and there are Gaming headphones that have way different sound profiles .

My advice is if u want Gaming Headphone then u should Buy HD 599, Gaming One, DT 990pro , TYGR300, DT770, depending your needs and taste on sound signature or just STAY with HD 598 that Have way better Soundstage they have drivers that are angled and more far of the ears they have Sennheiser smooth signature with some more excitement for games and lets not forget the COMFORT of the HD 5 series they are by far the most comfortable with low pressure nice velvet soft pads (some series have fake leather )

Personally i use HD 6 series for music and 5 Series with games ... So i think u get it now No conlifct for HD 6 series any more :)

Very well put. I would also add that in present day gaming you are very likely to need a microphone. So get a Sennheiser Game Zero (which is regularly on sale for around $/€ 120) which is excellent for hearing those footsteps and imaging. it is closed-back, so you can be immersed in your game and it also happens to suck for music, because it's made for gaming. :) Inside tip - pair it with the Sennheiser GSX 1000 and you will take advantage of a feature I have not seen on any other device - you can hear your microphone with ZERO delay. This is indispensable for those moments when you are communicating but the action in the game is too loud to hear yourself, even if the headphones were open back.

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #6,239 of 9,626
Very well put. I would also add that in present day gaming you are very likely to need a microphone. So get a Sennheiser Game Zero (which is regularly on sale for around $/€ 120) which is excellent for hearing those footsteps and imaging. it is closed-back, so you can be immersed in your game and it also happens to suck for music, because it's made for gaming. :) Inside tip - pair it with the Sennheiser GSX 1000 and you will take advantage of a feature I have not seen on any other device - you can hear your microphone with ZERO delay. This is indispensable for those moments when you are communicating but the action in the game is too loud to hear yourself, even if the headphones were open back.

Never heard Game Zero but a lot of people are saying good words. So i guess yeah this is also a nice solution ... About Mic build in on Headphones personally its something i dont like because of the unevenly weight of the headphone , more weight overall , sometimes because its close on the headphones (open backs ) they get leak sound on the mic so i can listen this eco ... also if i use closed back headphones i cant get they right Feeling because i cant hear my self speaking , also most mics get this breathing effect that i dont like also.

My solution and personall taste is , Open back always for airiness , soundstage , no heat , most times lighter , more comfort , i can hear my self speaking on competative games is something that i cant describe ( my english are bad) feels so so natural like u are in the game with the person u are playing , with closed back i feel disconeccted .
About mic i buy an external one with 3.5 jack with foam on it and i have it on my desk in front of me works great they listen to me way more natural , But the only problem is that if anyone has a lot of noise inside the house then it will get those ... So i use Push to Talk everytime i have a lot of noise.

But Closed backs are great if there is a lot of noise in the room ( some times my wife watch a movie loud so i get a closed back) or u want low low end bass that no other open back can have ( personally i am ok with high end bass)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #6,240 of 9,626
Glad you said that. I help out with recommendations on Reddit for headphones for gaming...
Yes, we agree! I’ve seen you around Reddit and here a few times, but I admit I’m here far more often than Reddit (which would be a HUGE productivity sink for me, haha). Thanks for being a Surround Nation ambassador to the folks on Reddit 👍🏻

Hi guys Im new in this forum even though I'm following it since a while! ... someone could tell me please, if is worth the upgrade from my 598. to 660S.

thnx!
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!
Now, more seriously, do you mean competitive gaming as in PvP or that you’re trying to go Pro and participate in tournaments?

As some have said, an open backed headphone will be more detailed, natural sounding, and for many people they will find them more comfortable. Both the HD 598 and HD 660S are open backed. The HD 598 have angled drivers and the HD 660S are more direct-facing, so the HD 598 will be “bigger” sounding, but the HD 660S will be more “clear” and distinct sounding. The HD 660S are a higher end and higher performing model in many ways, but you can choose which description is more appealing to you. I would say open-backed headphones are more appealing for playing at home in public matches.

If you’re traveling or playing competitive tournaments in a LAN or “on a stage” situation, something closed like the GAME ZERO will help reduce distractions and help you focus on the game. It’s nice that they can fold up, and come with a few extra accessories like a fairly hard carry case and a second short “console” or smartphone style TRRS cable.

When I’m at home, I tend to use my PC37X (an all-black version of the Game One) with my iPad, phone, and it’s also great with conference calls, and then I have a crazy (and crazy awesome!) setup at my desk with a PS4, PC & Mac all hooked up to high end gear and my HD 660S, HD 800, and a few other headphones depending on my mood.

Never heard Game Zero but a lot of people are saying good words. So i guess yeah this is also a nice solution ... About Mic build in on Headphones personally its something i dont like because of the unevenly weight of the headphone , more weight overall , sometimes because its close on the headphones (open backs ) they get leak sound on the mic so i can listen this eco ... also if i use closed back headphones i cant get they right Feeling because i cant hear my self speaking , also most mics get this breathing effect that i dont like also.

I agree with your preferences and your observations, except I have something to add when it comes to headset microphones.
  • Though visually unbalanced, the boom microphones haven’t been noticeably heavy to wear.
  • Most of the time when the game audio bleeds into the headset microphone, it’s due to software issues or poor grounding with the jacks in your computer (some channel crossover). I’ve personally never had any issues with sound from my headphones bleeding into the mic audio, except one time on my PC which indeed turned out to be a driver issue (and a pain to fix!).
  • I personally prefer open headphones/headsets when I’m mic’d for the same reason you do: it distorts the sound of your voice, like you’re talking from underwater, and it’s hard to tell what you sound like to everyone else. Sidetone or Mic Monitoring really helps closed headphones with that though, and as someone mentioned the GSX 1000 offers a lag-free sidetone that brings back that hear-yourself-talk-clearly functionality and helps you know when its picking up breathing or background noise.
  • I have heard enough people breathing into mics that I used to think it was just a given that headsets would cause this problem. However, lowering the mic below your mouth and out of the way of your nose air 😤 seems to solve this.
Keep up the good convo guys! Thanks to everyone pitching in!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back