Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #5,566 of 9,626
I think that Sennheiser should consider releasing a variant that would keep the HD 650 style frequency response (maybe tweak it a bit - extended sub bass wouldn't hurt as long as it's just sub bass; maybe a bit more around 10k and a bit less warmness) but improve speed, resolution etc. That would be incredible....

@Anarion Apart from a lack of sub bass (which all the six series have and which is probably just inherent in the design) and slightly recessed mids / lower treble (to please people like @aisalen who find the HD650 shouty), that's exactly what most people perceive the HD660S to be!

Purple HD600, Orange HD650, Green HD660S. DIY Audio Heaven.

hd600-vs-650-vs-660-5db-div.png

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #5,567 of 9,626
By the way, I've been swapping between HD 6XX, HD 660 S and HD 58X on the fly and HD 660 S is by far the most different sounding while HD 6XX and HD 58X are much closer (except when it comes to actual performance). Also HD 660 S is by far the darker sounding which I find a bit weird since there's shouldn't be much difference other than more prominent bass on HD 58X. Bass might trick my ears but I'm pretty darn possible it's not just that.

HD 660 S... dark with clarity. It's a bit weird combination to be honest and does have its pros and cons. It wouldn't have made to re-release the HD 650 or HD 600 so HD 660 S kinda makes sense. I think that Sennheiser should consider releasing a variant that would keep the HD 650 style frequency response (maybe tweak it a bit - extended sub bass wouldn't hurt as long as it's just sub bass; maybe a bit more around 10k and a bit less warmness) but improve speed, resolution etc. That would be incredible....

By the way, MX 760 is almost like HD 650 in earbud form factor tuning wise. To bad that they don't seem to make earphones like that anymore. Well, there's MX 365 but probably lesser quality.

"Dark with clarity" says it well, I think. A good surprise for all of us with a taste for both.

20200204_130027.jpg

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #5,570 of 9,626
I love comparing different pieces of gear but comparing multiple samples of the same component crosses a line that I’m not interested in crossing. There are obviously going to be sample to sample variations in everything produced. That’s just part of living in an imperfect world. IMHO just best to not worry about that.
I was the first on HeadFi to receive his HD660S. I am still very satisfied with what this can is. My drivers sport 180804, is that the prduction date? The otjer number is to far off center, I cannot read it completely.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #5,571 of 9,626
I think that Sennheiser should consider releasing a variant that would keep the HD 650 style frequency response (maybe tweak it a bit - extended sub bass wouldn't hurt as long as it's just sub bass; maybe a bit more around 10k and a bit less warmness) but improve speed, resolution etc. That would be incredible....

@Anarion Apart from a lack of sub bass (which all the six series have and which is probably just inherent in the design) and slightly recessed mids / lower treble (to please people like @aisalen who find the HD650 shouty), that's exactly what most people perceive the HD660S to be!

Purple HD600, Orange HD650, Green HD660S. DIY Audio Heaven.

Now I technically own the full set...
IMG_20200208_144642.jpg

These are not HD 58X Jubilees (though, I guess the name makes sense now, eh?). I have hard times noticing any differences between these and my HD 6XX. :spy: Hard to say which I prefer... or more like which I love more.

EDIT:
Actually... I think I like my new "HD 600" more. It sound somewhat faster, sharper & clearer with similar bass extension but a tad less warmth. Differences are small but in my opinion they are in the direction that I prefer. It's also one of those headphones that just sounds right.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #5,575 of 9,626
Fortunately I don’t find that personally. In fact I find them very engaging and at the same time non fatiguing - a difficult trick which I think they manage much better than many others, BUT, ultimately they don’t have the smooth nature of the HD650, in both good and, unfortunately, bad ways.

Ultimately I think that the HD660S is a slightly better headphone than the HD650 overall, but if I had to choose one or the other as my only headphone I’d go for the HD650. Alternatively I might sell them all and just go back to the original HD580 Precision! :wink:

Ignorance is bliss as they say. I don't blame you for wanting to do that, personally I've been cutting hifi out of my life for the past 6 months and only listening a few times per month instead of 4+ hours per day. It's not healthy obsessing like that and I was wasting too much time I could have spent doing a variety of different things I enjoy. 660S are still around but not often used as mentioned. Headphones took up so much of my life I'm ashamed to admit it, I haven't watched any movies or TV shows for 3 years so I think it's a good time to catch up on all the cool things I've missed out on (not just films).

Don't let this hobby consume you guys, if you truly enjoy music you will be able listen to it on anything.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5,576 of 9,626
Don't let this hobby consume you guys, if you truly enjoy music you will be able listen to it on anything.

I totally agree. It's the reason why I won't venture into high end head-fi (OK, I have the HD800). There really isn't any more actual enjoyment to be had after the HD600 series. Technical improvements, yes - better here or better there (although not usually without some major drawback - yes HD800, I'm looking at you!) but honestly even the actual sonic gains are small in reality. Much better to stick with an HD650 with a really good amp, or an HD660S with just about any amp(!) and enjoy the music. If I want anything truly better I listen to speakers. A good speaker system will always be better than any similar level headphone system.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #5,577 of 9,626
I've come into conclusion that all I need is HD 600 and/or HD 650 to be happy - those two just sound right. I might buy the actual HD 600 and keep the "HD 580 Jubilee hack job" as portable variant.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #5,578 of 9,626
Headphones took up so much of my life I'm ashamed to admit it, I haven't watched any movies or TV shows for 3 years so I think it's a good time to catch up on all the cool things I've missed out on (not just films).
I often watch series and movies with my headphones/dac/amp system on the computer. The sound is so much better than the TV/old integrated stereo system that it is connected to, and I mostly watch Netflix anyway :slight_smile:

As a wise man said;
“Whatever you do, enjoy the music”

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #5,579 of 9,626
Ignorance is bliss as they say. I don't blame you for wanting to do that, personally I've been cutting hifi out of my life for the past 6 months and only listening a few times per month instead of 4+ hours per day. It's not healthy obsessing like that and I was wasting too much time I could have spent doing a variety of different things I enjoy. 660S are still around but not often used as mentioned. Headphones took up so much of my life I'm ashamed to admit it, I haven't watched any movies or TV shows for 3 years so I think it's a good time to catch up on all the cool things I've missed out on (not just films).

Yep...HDwhatevers or a transistor radio! :)

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #5,580 of 9,626
I totally agree. It's the reason why I won't venture into high end head-fi (OK, I have the HD800). There really isn't any more actual enjoyment to be had after the HD600 series. Technical improvements, yes - better here or better there (although not usually without some major drawback - yes HD800, I'm looking at you!) but honestly even the actual sonic gains are small in reality. Much better to stick with an HD650 with a really good amp, or an HD660S with just about any amp(!) and enjoy the music. If I want anything truly better I listen to speakers. A good speaker system will always be better than any similar level headphone system.

I found the HD 800 to be a mixed bag, technically great but it has some issues and not the most musical headphone among its competition. I’ve never really wanted one as there are plenty of other headphones I enjoyed more; both cheaper and more expensive. Honestly there’s so many choices out there, there’s basically something for everyone. I listen to what I find gives me the most enjoyment musically, for me that’s the RR 1 Conquest(new), T1.2, and DT 480. The HD 660 S would be one as well as it’s one of the headphones I got the most musical enjoyment out of.

I often watch series and movies with my headphones/dac/amp system on the computer. The sound is so much better than the TV/old integrated stereo system that it is connected to, and I mostly watch Netflix anyway

I use my system on my computer as well and use use Netflix, etc. to watch tv shows and movies. I do think sometimes people do lose sight of enjoying the sound. I always tried to make sure I enjoyed the sound of my headphones, I learned to pay the most attention to what headphones I naturally gravitate to and want to listen to. Though honestly going to wind down on this hobby and likely sell off some redundant headphones and gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back