Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,781 of 9,621
I had this problem with HD660s:

10205244_thumb.jpg

Have you realized, that these parts of headband, which is movable in horizontal direction, moves differently? One of them is very tight and second is loose.
I'd RMA this divergence and after 5 weeks, Sennheiser service guy said me, its normal, every HD660s has this issue.
(And the seller refunded me the money, but mainly due to long RMA)

Maybe it's normal and it has some purpose ...
All of my HD6 series have sliders that are quite tight and the adjustment clicks pretty much keep them in place until I move them and the horizontal/rotation movement is even on both sides. I'll ask my friend how is his HD660S but I don't remember it having the issue the few times I've borrowed them.

@Tsukuyomi, I agree that there is some grain on the HD660S but its a bit less than the HD600 and HD58X to me.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,782 of 9,621
All of my HD6 series have sliders that are quite tight and the adjustment clicks pretty much keep them in place until I move them and the horizontal/rotation movement is even on both sides. I'll ask my friend how is his HD660S but I don't remember it having the issue the few times I've borrowed them.

@Tsukuyomi, I agree that there is some grain on the HD660S but its a bit less than the HD600 and HD58X to me.
Maybe it was because i had the 660S plugged into audioquest dragonfly RED and then plugged into my Samsung Note 9 mobile. :S but i tried it on another source and still same... hmm.. maybe cables were faulty?

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #3,783 of 9,621
I see you also own the sony wm1a, im thinking of buying it or the ZX300 or the Astell and Kern SR15. does the WM1A run all your sennheisers ? 600, 650 and 800? i know the 600's are 300ohm and quite hard to drive well.
The WM1A is able to drive all my Sennheisers with grace and authority from the balanced tab. It takes around 100 hours to mature though. And even after 600 hours it seems to get better and better. The WM1A is a real masterpiece and since two month Sony finally enabled the DAC functionality. So you can even use it for PC gaming or movies with the Windows 10 Dolby Atmos plug in enabled. Imagine the possibilities. Ah and batterie life is 20 to 30 hours depending on the filetype that you use.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #3,785 of 9,621
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #3,786 of 9,621
Regarding the xcan i have heard and it is really amazing.
It's very natural sounding and it is a powerhouse.
You can utilise it as single ended and as balanced.
It's recommended.
As for the pentacon output you need to have a device that it is balanced with 4.4mm output.
I can't see how this can be done with the mac as a source.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,787 of 9,621
Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #3,788 of 9,621
Regarding the xcan i have heard and it is really amazing.
It's very natural sounding and it is a powerhouse.
You can utilise it as single ended and as balanced.
It's recommended.
As for the pentacon output you need to have a device that it is balanced with 4.4mm output.
I can't see how this can be done with the mac as a source.

Thanks for the info :beerchug:

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #3,789 of 9,621
Was thinking about an iFi DAC maybe xDSD, what's wrong with them?
I have both xDSD and xCan. I love them both. You can read my review for xDSD in the relevant review thread, the review for xCan it might take a while since I am currently very busy.

For headphones and not iems I personally prefer the xCan. Actually, I like my xCan very much, I bought even an 58x in order to avoid buying xCan since I already had the xDSD but I miserably failed. I decided to buy xCan and to have xCan as well.

Both have excellent DACs and they can be used also in combination together. The best results can be obtained using them together in usb mode and with adding further an ipurifier 3 in the chain.

In Bluetooth mode, xCan alone is more than enough. It is a very portable amp, similar size as a package of cigarettes, and it scales wonderfully the 6XX given its size and its price bracket, it should be more than enough for 660s based on what I am reading so far in this thread.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3,790 of 9,621
Was thinking about an iFi DAC maybe xDSD, what's wrong with them?
it use very old dac chip ,, Burr-Brown ,which i think is good but for home theaters not headphone ,
do your self a favor and put the chord mojo in your list ..

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #3,791 of 9,621
@Free1066

I thought you already had an idea about ifi DACs and their history and you were wondering particularly for the xCan since it is a new release and not many reviews are available yet. xCan is different than other ifi DACs since it has a Sabre chip (I am not sure which exactly model).

The burr brown chip is considered something of a vintage, actually ifi promotes that as an advantage and is also used in their top implementation idsd Pro x4 i.e. four times this chip. You can read more information in the various threads but many people think that ifi DACs are their strength not their weaknesses.

I have 3 sennheisers headphones and 3 ifi DACs and all of them have a very nice synergy to each other. I cannot claim that this combination is the best because simply I have not tested and experienced everything that exists out there.

Moreover, xCan is marketed as a very portable amplifier that has a DAC for convenience which is working in Bluetooth mode only. Can be connected to any DAC through both balanced and unbalanced inputs. So someone can also consider, purchase it and review it as an amp only.
Having said that and given the inherent Bluetooth limitations i personally find this DAC very satisfactory for my purposes.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #3,792 of 9,621
Read all 253 pages while waiting for my 660s to arrive, went from excited to worried that I wasn't going to like them!

4 hours in, absolutely fantastic! I've been using HD201's while waiting for delivery, the difference isn't night and day, it's an entire different universe!

Basement Jaxx - Mermaid of Salinas :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back