Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #2,642 of 9,626
Yes, the Evolution 50CD.

Nice!

I went to the original Creek factory with my first CAS4040 when it had a problem of some sort many many years ago. I called it a factory, but they were still operating from a small backroom somewhere in North London. I walked in and half a dozen guys looked up from their workbenches and then continued whatever they were doing, soldering irons in hand! Very friendly and personal company at that time. I bet the Evolution CD player is great!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #2,644 of 9,626
You seem to have an enviable life, David. Sitting around drinking Tequila, whilst your attentive girlfriend discusses headphones with you! :wink:
I've been lucky to have some great girlfriends and 2 ex-wives in my life. You do know that its almost 2am here in Hawaii where I think you are just about getting to lunch, LOL :cocktail::ksc75smile:

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #2,645 of 9,626
I've been lucky to have some great girlfriends and 2 ex-wives in my life. You do know that its almost 2am here in Hawaii where I think you are just about getting to lunch, LOL :cocktail::ksc75smile:

Lucky you! And yes, I was wondering why you were still up(!), and you're exactly right - I've just had lunch! Out to my studio now to do some practice (I'm a pro musician - Sax, flute, clarinet, bassoon) and maybe to listen to some smooth detailed sounds from my HD 650's! :):)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,646 of 9,626
How do the senns 579/599 compare to the 660s? Just curious
Sorry never tried the 579/599....if they are similar to the 598s the most I could say is that those were closer to the 700s but mid level sounding but I'm sure the output of the 660S should exceed that of the aforementioned phones...maybe someone else can contribute.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,647 of 9,626
I am currently listening to Alanis Morisette's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie album. She plays a lot with the mix, you have lots of effects, voices everywhere. I love how the HD660S brings this to life. The strong bass that is used comes across very nice. There is a lot going on, nothing is lost all details are just there. Very engaging.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,649 of 9,626
Sorry never tried the 579/599....if they are similar to the 595s the most I could say is that those were closer to the 700s but mid level sounding but I'm sure the output of the 660S should exceed that of the aforementioned phones...maybe someone else can contribute.
HD 595 is definitely closer to HD 660 S than HD 700 in terms of sound signature (no mid slump and no 6K peak). By far the biggest difference is better bass on HD 660 S and different soundstage. Soundstage wise HD 595 is closer to HD 700. However... HD 598 sounds noticeably different and the mids start to get closer to HD 700 in my opinion. No idea what kind of tuning changes they made for HD 579/599.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #2,650 of 9,626
HD 595 is definitely closer to HD 660 S than HD 700................However... HD 598 sounds noticeably different and the mids start to get closer to HD 700 in my opinion..........

Sorry my reply should have said 598 not 595...correction made.
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.15.00 AM.png

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,651 of 9,626
I am currently listening to Alanis Morisette's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie album. She plays a lot with the mix, you have lots of effects, voices everywhere. I love how the HD660S brings this to life. The strong bass that is used comes across very nice. There is a lot going on, nothing is lost all details are just there. Very engaging.

Great album, one of my favorites, I'll play that through the 58X when I finally get it and hope I get a little of that 660S sound.:L3000:

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,652 of 9,626
I got my HD660S a few hours ago, and here are my first impressions. I will be comparing mostly to the 650 and also the HE-4XX. Even though I don't have 650s on hand, I will compare them from memory, as they have been my go to headphone for many years.

I am very used to the HD650 sound signature, so when I put these on, I could tell the immediate differences quite easily. They definitely have more treble presence, as many have pointed out. Sometimes, this can lead to some slight sibilance, depending on the recording. Listening to modern pop and rock, the vocals are not as up front as the 650. For me, that is actually a good thing, even though I listen to a lot of vocals. For many songs it works perfectly, and the slightly recessed upper mids add more space and breathing room. This also gives them a better sense of depth and soundstage. The 650 and 600 in comparison have a more intimate and closed staging. Those who think the HD600 or 650 are too shouty in the upper mids, the 660S may be perfect for them. I personally think they are laid back in that area though. Maybe because I'm so used to the 650.

The bass feels very similar, but has less of a warm hump than the 650. But the extension is pretty much the same, and I didn't notice a huge difference in bass quality. These maybe have more defined and tighter bass, but that could be my imagination.

I already mentioned treble, but they give a better sense of realism in this area too. I really like classical on these, and I think they do better with instrumental music than the 650.

Compared to my Hifiman HE-4XX, the 660S has more extended treble, but also less treble peaks. I've always felt the 400i and 4XX had too much treble peakiness. The bass on the 660S has more body than the 4XX, and surprisingly has the same extension. But the 4XX is not as extended in the bass as the LCD-2 or HE-560 anyway. Mids are a little scooped on the 4XX, and the 660S wins with it's neutral and natural tonality.

Without the HD650 next to me, I can't do a direct comparison yet. However, I feel the differences are big enough for it to be worth owning both. The 650 is more up front and intimate, while the 660S has more immersive and realistic sound. Keep in mind these are still first impressions, and they might change as I do more listening.

Another thing I want to add, is how EQ can make this headphone even better. Bumping up the sub-bass a little can really help with EDM and other bass heavy genres. I use an EQ program called Sonarworks, which has a unique filter for many headphones, including the whole HD600 series. Their flat profile for the 660S sounds much better to me than their 650 profile ever did. That leads me to believe the 660S driver is more resolving and capable than the 650 driver. I highly recommend Sonarworks if you want to experiment with EQ.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,653 of 9,626
I got my HD660S a few hours ago, and here are my first impressions. I will be comparing mostly to the 650 and also the HE-4XX. Even though I don't have 650s on hand, I will compare them from memory, as they have been my go to headphone for many years.

I am very used to the HD650 sound signature, so when I put these on, I could tell the immediate differences quite easily. They definitely have more treble presence, as many have pointed out. Sometimes, this can lead to some slight sibilance, depending on the recording. Listening to modern pop and rock, the vocals are not as up front as the 650. For me, that is actually a good thing, even though I listen to a lot of vocals. For many songs it works perfectly, and the slightly recessed upper mids add more space and breathing room. This also gives them a better sense of depth and soundstage. The 650 and 600 in comparison have a more intimate and closed staging. Those who think the HD600 or 650 are too shouty in the upper mids, the 660S may be perfect for them. I personally think they are laid back in that area though. Maybe because I'm so used to the 650.

The bass feels very similar, but has less of a warm hump than the 650. But the extension is pretty much the same, and I didn't notice a huge difference in bass quality. These maybe have more defined and tighter bass, but that could be my imagination.

I already mentioned treble, but they give a better sense of realism in this area too. I really like classical on these, and I think they do better with instrumental music than the 650.

Compared to my Hifiman HE-4XX, the 660S has more extended treble, but also less treble peaks. I've always felt the 400i and 4XX had too much treble peakiness. The bass on the 660S has more body than the 4XX, and surprisingly has the same extension. But the 4XX is not as extended in the bass as the LCD-2 or HE-560 anyway. Mids are a little scooped on the 4XX, and the 660S wins with it's neutral and natural tonality.

Without the HD650 next to me, I can't do a direct comparison yet. However, I feel the differences are big enough for it to be worth owning both. The 650 is more up front and intimate, while the 660S has more immersive and realistic sound. Keep in mind these are still first impressions, and they might change as I do more listening.

Another thing I want to add, is how EQ can make this headphone even better. Bumping up the sub-bass a little can really help with EDM and other bass heavy genres. I use an EQ program called Sonarworks, which has a unique filter for many headphones, including the whole HD600 series. Their flat profile for the 660S sounds much better to me than their 650 profile ever did. That leads me to believe the 660S driver is more resolving and capable than the 650 driver. I highly recommend Sonarworks if you want to experiment with EQ.

Agree with the highlighted part. The only thing holding me from getting them is the price, HD660S has to come down to under $300 before I'll even consider it or under $250 for a used one since to me its just a different tuning of the six hundred series and much easier to drive properly.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #2,654 of 9,626
@DivineCurrent , I really agree with your statement that the 660s is more “immersive and realistic” sounding. Those words really capture its magic. It is probably the most natural midrange I’ve heard yet. Piano is so painless with very little glassiness on the high notes.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,655 of 9,626

Do you use truefi or ref4?
I use truefi with my hd660s and to use a more flat profile. As you noted, in some songs truefi makes a difference life a more present subbass, but often the difference is minimal.

I noted that it did tame the vocals a little bit, and that gives a more realistic sound.

I think that shows how neutral the HD660s is,the less difference truefi makes the more natural sounding it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back