Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #1,261 of 9,628
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,262 of 9,628
'Improvement' is always preference anyway.

If you start swapping headphones and compare them back to back the "improvements" can be massively different.

For example I cannot listen to my HD650 if I compare them to a the HE400i I purchased. The price of the 400i still has a sound signature I prefer over the new more expensive HD660.

Everyone has an opinion and preference. The HD660 construction feels lack luster compared to the plasticy older HD650. The "feel" of the newer HP seems like a cheaper build for some odd reason.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #1,263 of 9,628
If you start swapping headphones and compare them back to back the "improvements" can be massively different.

For example I cannot listen to my HD650 if I compare them to a the HE400i I purchased. The price of the 400i still has a sound signature I prefer over the new more expensive HD660.

Everyone has an opinion and preference. The HD660 construction feels lack luster compared to the plasticy older HD650. The "feel" of the newer HP seems like a cheaper build for some odd reason.
This is it exactly. Like having a bite on an orange then taking a sip of milk.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,264 of 9,628
I'd say the 660S is an improvement, but it is not an obvious improvement.
Thanks. That's kind of what I was expecting, to be honest. The k712's have pretty great sound, and I can hear a few objective improvements over the HD600, but those improvements are almost microscopic and barely discernible unless you're A/Bing the two (other than obvious soundstage difference but that's subject to...subjectivity?). I'm thinking based on what some are saying in their impressions, the improvement over the 600/650 would be a similar experience. As in you'd have to be actively listening for it to really appreciate.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #1,265 of 9,628
I'll totally agree with you. I think anyone that owns the HD650 should appreciate what it is.... if they want more resolution I'd totally suggest just buying the HD700 for more clarity venturing closer to the HD800 sound.

If you listen to an HD800 or HD700 the new HD650 has a congested sound in comparison. There is a definite change in the HD660 sound signature but ever so slightly better than a lateral move to the old 650.
We were actually talking specifically about AKG k712's, but I have a feeling what you said still applies. I've only heard 600's, but this is what I've been thinking and have been considering the HD700, but that peakiness in the treble everybody talks about is holding me back.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,266 of 9,628
I find it rather sad that the HD660s does not continue with the carbon fibre frame that the HD600 had. Makes me wonder what the 660 would sound like if it did.

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,267 of 9,628
I find it rather sad that the HD660s does not continue with the carbon fibre frame that the HD600 had. Makes me wonder what the 660 would sound like if it did.
You're joking, right? :hushed:

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #1,268 of 9,628
A friend ordered a HD660S today so I might make the trip to the other side of the island to visit him next week to hear them.

Looking forward to your impressions!

MAHLER, SYMPHONY N.8, ABBADO / BERLINER PHYLARMONIKER / DG
I begin to understand this new headphone. As before, compared to the HD600, the HD660S is the one that sounds with the most powerful frequency extremes, fuller and cleaner. There is a somehow attenuated mid-high frequency area compared to the 600, balanced by a rise slightly above it. This contributes to the feeling of a cleaner sound, but in direct comparison the voices seem timbrically a bit "muted". But if one get used to the 660S' sound, it seems that maybe the 660S is right, while the 600 emphasizes some harmonic components perhaps a little more than the necessary (but very pleasantly). Nevertheless, some chorus lines seem slightly better outlined with the 600, while on the other hand the 660S has better positioning of the orchestra and chorus sections. Overall the 600 seems timbrically more "phoney" sounding than the 660S.

SIBELIUS - LEMMINKAINEN AND THE MAIDENS OF THE ISLAND, STEIN / SUISSE ROMANDE / DECCA
At circa 6:30 minutes of this movement there is a beautiful effect of rubbing of the violins, which (live) gives an exceptional emotional experience, it seems to feel the freezing northern winds on the skin. It's a very difficult part to reproduce (I think it's basically impossible to reproduce the experience that you feel in the live concert hall). Given the somewhat discontinuous performance of the 660S around the mid-high frequencies, I did not expect to hear the newcomer reproducing better the breath of this magnificent moment. It is not clearer, but it's better placed in the soundstage, it has more breath, where the 600 loses room sensation (maybe for the lower bass presence). The 660S is a really good headphone.

RODRIGO - FANTASIA PARA UN GENTILHOMBRE, SEGOVIA / DG
How close is the guitar with the 660S! It's exciting but there's less sense of distance of the stage. Nevertheless, the timbre of the strings are exciting, albeit slightly resonant on the lower end, while the 600 has a more "acid" sound. The reverb of the recording venue is more evident in the 660s.

BIBER - SONATA A 10, REQUIEM A 15, SAVALL / ALTAVOX

With this recording the perspective difference between the two headphones is clear. The 600 sounds more distant, while with the 660S we are virtually in the middle of the stage. It's not very realistic, but the introspection in the harmonic structure of the instruments is exciting. The 660S has the best harmonic resolution: yes, this time the 600 loses harmonic content in comparison.
But the 600 renders magnificently the voices in the indescribable Introitus of the Requiem A 15, while the 660S seems to lose some expressive nuances.

PAT METHENY GROUP - IMAGINARY DAY
The performance of the 660S is really remarkable: it's punchier, more contrasted and extended than the HD600. (the sound of the cymbals is timbrically almost "suffocated" in the 600, while it's exceptionally harmonically resolved in the 660s, in absolute terms). The "on-stage" feeling of the 660S does a good job here. The 600 is very nice, but can't really compete with the 660S here.

[HINTS TO HD700 and HD800S COMPARISON:
- The HD700 is less correct and less timbrically competent, but its soundstage, warmness and the particular high frequency detail gives to this headphone a somewhat special status (which you can love or hate). If you like its sound perspective, the Hd660S can't compete. Instead, if strict timbrical accuracy is what you seek, the 700 will have some difficulties to compete with the HD660S.
- The HD800S is the flagship one and has another approach. A/B compared after getting used to the 660S it seems almost too light; 660S instead seems to be too closed and dense if you get used to the sound of the 800S. Without the "ear habitude" bias, there is no match for expressiveness, elegance and rendering capabilities of at least all the acoustic situations, in favor of the 800S, not to mention the huge difference in the soundstage, which gives the necessary breath to the symphonic orchestra, something the 660S has some difficulties to deal with.]

Really appreciate that you focused on classical music in your review. It looks like the 660S excels at it. Of course, it's not surprising that it's not as good as the HD800, which seems to be THE classical music headphone. (800 is also more than twice the price.) The interesting comparison for me is with the HD700. I get the sense that you personally would give the 700 the edge with classical over the 660 or do you think it's just a matter of taste?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,269 of 9,628
Looking forward to your impressions!

Really appreciate that you focused on classical music in your review. It looks like the 660S excels at it. Of course, it's not surprising that it's not as good as the HD800, which seems to be THE classical music headphone. (800 is also more than twice the price.) The interesting comparison for me is with the HD700. I get the sense that you personally would give the 700 the edge with classical over the 660 or do you think it's just a matter of taste?
I like the Hd660S with classical music, and maybe better with little baroque ensembles (and Archiv Produktion recordings for example). This especially because of the imho very good timbrical accuracy.
With large symphonic orchestra, while still very accurate in timbre and balance, the hd660S can sound a little too congested and "thick" (but consider I have the bias of loving hd700 and hd800 landscapes).

And yes, it's a matter of taste: considering only "classical" music I prefer the Hd700, I need to feel the concert hall.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,270 of 9,628
HD660S - The Legend Continues...

Just received my HD660S, had a brief listening and yup I quite like the sound, now giving it some run-in before I could comment much on the sound.
Source :- Opus #2
Interconnect :- Dita Truth
Amp :- Phatlab Phantasy Class A tube headphone amp

Zytmbdh.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,272 of 9,628
Hi,

Pairing it with the Mojo I will get an improvement over my hd650?

Mojo will definitely have the ability to drive hd650, but I have yet to test this combo personally.
But with a tube amp, HD650 really sounds really good.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,274 of 9,628
.............The HD660 construction feels lack luster compared to the plasticy older HD650. The "feel" of the newer HP seems like a cheaper build for some odd reason.

Was hoping they would be better than the Massdrop HD6XX edition....which looked and felt IMHO like an unfinished product...sold my 650s while waiting on the HD6XXs....sold the HD6XX to get a new pair of HD650...and just sold those HD650 while waiting for Sennheiser Canada to get delivery on the 660...lol.

Surprised as a founding member (2001) you wern't aware that the 600 frame was found to be plastic, maybe some carbon fiber threads but this mis-info basically came from Wes Phillips (RIP) HD600 review in Stereophile back in.1998.
"The only visible differences between them and the Jubilees are the finish of the carbon fiber, which is marbled as opposed to the earlier model's weave pattern"

But just to add from the same review on the 660s predecessor from almost 20 years ago..........
"
Head of the line
At $450, the Sennheiser HD 600 is fairly expensive for a dynamic headphone, although it's far from the costliest available. Yet it deserves to stand beside any component that inhabits Class A of Stereophile's "Recommended Components." Not every "improved" product turns out to be an improvement, but Sennheiser has kept all of the properties that made the HD-580 among the best of its breed, and in several areas has even managed to better it impressively. If you need to listen through headphones (or if, like me, you're one of the rare few who enjoys
listening through them), then the Sennheiser HD 600s are a must-audition product—even, dare I suggest, a must-own. ..."

Maybe the 660s might follow suit.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,275 of 9,628
Rob80B,

The plastic portion on the top of the headband feels looks and feels cheap. Even looking at my Denon MM400 portables the construction is worlds ahead of the Senn HD660. You would have assumed Senn would at least put some effort in making the "upgrade" in appearance as they did bump up the SQ a bit better over the old version hd650.

I'm assuming anyone that does not own a pair of Hd650 will enjoy owning the Hd660 as a midfi decent pair of new headphones. Cost wise I do question if it's worth spending a tad more and elevating the SQ by a larger margin to ease "upgraditis". I certainly would be indecisive about getting the HD660 for $679CDN as there are more sub 1000 dollar headphones gets you into a different tier of quality. I have amplification that can comfortably drive a Hifiman HE560 and to my ears it's a massive huge jump in overall SQ. In fact I prefer the cheaper HE560 over my modified HD800 (partial anax mod and I've also added an HD650 foam in the earcup). My eldest daughter is incredibly happy with the HD650 I've given her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back