Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,141 of 9,618
So based on that I might enjoy HD 700 more (assuming that HD 660 S is similar to HD 6x0 series). Sound stage is something that I do not want to sacrifice and if the HD 598 sounded brighter than HD 600...

Hard to say, had a couple of HD598s (bought them as gifts) on hand while I had my 700s and 600s (old version) and the 598s were much closer to the 700s in sound signature and staging, the 600 being warmer and in your head. IMHO both the 700 and 600 had superior drivers and their performance scaled much better, the 598s would in direct comparison sound grainy and did not handle higher volumes without producing some distortion and lacked aural sophistication. I'm hoping from what has been presented so far that the 660s are looking to be a hybrid 700/650 but with the use of the 600 series form factor sound staging may still be restricted, which may be a good thing for many, but the new driver with better delineated details may in fact help with extending the the sound-stage, again I can only hypothesize until I actual hear them.
If you can get a chance to hear the HD700s , they may be in fact your cup of tea, I quite enjoyed them for a few years. : )

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,147 of 9,618
Looking forward to your impressions @amartignano once you have the 660S in hand.

I have an idea of what they are going to sound like based on some inferences, I'm familiar with the driver and the HD650 platform. I'm almost 100% positive I'd love them.

I've liked a wide-range of what Sennheiser offers - from HD800, HD650, HD700, HD25, HD250, Amperior, all the way to consumer sets like their new HD4.30, HD598, HD569, HD201.
All of the headphones I listed above are markedly different, and while they have hallmarks of Sennheiser's approach - they all offer something unique.

@Pedro Oliveira, I've probably said this, but if you spot a vintage HD250 Linear for around $125-150 USD (or higher depending on condition) it is well worth it. There are 300ohm and 600ohm (I own this one) versions so both will require some amping though I have no problem with my 02 (configured for higher gain but default should be fine). If you like the natural mid-range of the 600/650 but want more bass and a bit more splash on the high-end, this has it. Think of it as a full-sized HD25 that is spacious, and full-ranged, but has that perfect balance. It is much fuller-bodied than the HD700 and I'll defer it is likely more 'correct' as are the HD650s and likely the HD660S. It actually offers in some way a very spacious and room-tuned experience thanks to its DF tuning. It will be great for the music styles you listed like Ajunabeats and is non-fatiguing. The HD700 I'd say can work very well with some electronic, but you are listening to it at a lower level, fine if you are doing other tasks. The HD700 is awesome, but its hard to say if you'd like it. If you told me you listen to moviescore and classical a lot I'd say go for it. If you want a can that gets you more involved with more beat oriented music the HD250 is it. For that matter is excellent with all music styles and one of my all-time Sennheiser favourites. Would also recommend the AH-D2000 which has yummier bass than the 700, 650, and goes deeper in sub-bass than the 250. I'd also recommend the AH-D2000 and its brethren if you want some real fun for electronic music - it is about indulgence afterall :0

A bit more reference for you Pedro. Listening to Keeno 'Futurist' an extremely well-produced drum'n'bass artist, this track has piano, spacious pads and a very aggressive low-end bite.

HD250 - plenty of growl on the low-end, but it never overtakes the rest. Hats and piano are very clear. Snare room reverb sounds realistic.

HD700 - weird..., okay, can sound hollow coming from the linear 250, but still full. Takes a bit to adjust to the sound. Really opens up, and the technical advances in clarity from that 80s headphone set are pretty clear. Lower-end of the piano has a some real sympathetic resonance to it. Bass is set back but clear. The pads just wash over your ears, and you can hear the faintest sounds against the backdrop. But the HD700 might be a different experience on a tube amp. Myself I prefer my 700 straight, no chaser so solid state is my pref.

Denon D2000 - piano is a bit gelled but has body. Compared to both above, you are already hearing some lower-end sub bass rumbles in the ambience that weren't apparent. Still spacious sounding not like the HD700 and not as realistic as the HD250 but very good. Highs are actually more splashy and livelier than 700 or 250. While the sub-bass is more articulate than either 250 or 700, the 250 actually has a large volume of bass. Though the Denon can arguably be pushed into a basshead territories (it has great power handling where as the 250 can't be boosted) by default tuning it is somewhat light on bass, just very extended (no mid-bass hump like the 650). I'd say just for a relaxed listen, the D2000 is pretty amazing. Absolutely stellar for dnb like Keeno. Back in the day the D2000 and HD650 were oft recommended as complimentary cans and for good reason.

Lastly LCD2 - oh my. See this is why I own all of these cans, but really the LCD2 does a bit of everything from above and with class. I'd seriously consider looking into the LCD2C especially if you want better bass performance from your open backs. For rock, chamber classical, and definitely electronic the LCD2 is incredible. Sub-bass clarity surpasses the rest of my cans. When listening to the drops on Keeno, they just go all the way down into the nether. :)
Thank you malfunkt :)

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,151 of 9,618
Would it be accurate to say that the 660S fits somewhere between the HD600 and the HD700 sonically?

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,152 of 9,618
Would it be accurate to say that the 660S fits somewhere between the HD600 and the HD700 sonically?

It actually fits in the very middle of a square between at each corner the following headphones: HD600, HD650, HD700 and HiFimanHE400i....just joking...

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,154 of 9,618
Amazon US listing is up! :grinning: But they are currently out of stock. :angry:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HP574T
To do or not to do...that is the question....???
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076HP574T
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 11.15.27 AM.png

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,155 of 9,618
To do or not to do...that is the question....???
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076HP574T

lol... well, looking at your profile, you don't "need it" with an 800S and 650 in your possession. But if a collector, this is different than the others in their lineup which makes it special. For the time being, this will be my own personal flagship/endgame. Can you get better headphones for particular genres? Sure... but these are above average for everything I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back