Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 5, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #8,656 of 9,641
You can get a HD650/600 then and put the used pads on the HD660s/58x and continue listening. :beyersmile:
From my listening I'd agree with your assessment.

giphy.gif

That is brilliant idea. XD

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #8,657 of 9,641
What makes imo Mountains a good testtrack for headphones and speakers alike, is that it will push the diagrams hard, and in many cases bottom out dynamic drivers so you will hear distortion.

Also, it's easy to sense how deep/low a speaker will go with the track, as the bass is rolling in the background.

If I take my Grados then guess what? no bass..

But I will agree, it's not the most complex of songs.

As for "robots in motion", it´s mixed with a lot of panning in the beginning. When listening to how wide the soundstage is, this panning helps gauge the distance how far the sound is from your head.

As for Jilian.. well, the track is a mess :) there is alot going on, as it's recorded live with a bloody orchestra playing in the background. - and thats kinda the point. It makes it easy to compare how well different headphones distinguish the individual instruments, - violins especially.

So I hope that gives a insight into what I listen for on some of my test-tracks.
Today, with a fresh mind, I listened again to "robots in motion"
Verdict - none of the three tested options that were on hand 660s se846 white filter without cap, Focal Clear OG - can not give the presentation, depth and width that gives NDH 30
So it goes:)

Philter - The Blossom Chronicles (2012) - very lyrical and layered detailed sound, listened to the whole album. Nice:)
Also took these:
The Queen of Crows (2019)
The Beautiful Lies (2011)
Beyond the Perimeter

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #8,659 of 9,641
For my fellow compatriots in the far north (well not that far : ), Sennheiser's Canadian Outlet have some refurbished HD660's available, amongst other things.
https://ca.sennheiser-hearing.com/c...ucts/sennheiser-hd-660s-certified-refurbished
The refurbs are essentially new with the full 2 year warranty and free shipping ..works out to about $300 US which is as a good time as ever to come on board.
If one can get hold of a "Friends Discount" code even better. :wink:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 12.13.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 12.13.56 PM.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #8,660 of 9,641
I listened to a lot of headphones, but I didn’t manage to get to beyerdynamic for some reason :) Here, almost no one is within reach, although the headphones seem to be very popular.
Can anyone tell me - how, for example, 600-660s compared to the beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #8,662 of 9,641
No. Where is sound coming from? Frame or driver?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #8,663 of 9,641
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #8,665 of 9,641
I listened to your clip. Sounds like an old Bluetooth connection sound?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #8,667 of 9,641
The frame of my 660s creak. Is it that?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #8,668 of 9,641
I listened to a lot of headphones, but I didn’t manage to get to beyerdynamic for some reason :) Here, almost no one is within reach, although the headphones seem to be very popular.
Can anyone tell me - how, for example, 600-660s compared to the beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro?
The DT 1990 has more of a treble focus and more of what I call a dynamic and snappy sound and have quicker transients. Depends on which pads you use. With the analytical pads I’ll call the DT 1990 neutral bright but with the balanced pads it takes on a warmer more v-shaped sound. In terms of imaging and soundstage the Beyer has the edge to my ears. Sub-bass extension and overall bass quality also goes to the Beyers. Timbre, vocals, and midrange I would say the Senns win and the Senns have a calmer more controlled treble. Resolution it can depend on the system but on most systems I tried, I would say the DT 1990.

While not all Beyers are trebly the majority are; the most recent models have been toning down the treble though. Beyers don’t tend to be as forward in the mids as Senns but they do have good midrange quality and timbre. Beyers house sound does tend to lean towards somewhat v-shaped but they do have a lot of different tunings.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #8,669 of 9,641
The DT 1990 has more of a treble focus and more of what I call a dynamic and snappy sound and have quicker transients. Depends on which pads you use. With the analytical pads I’ll call the DT 1990 neutral bright but with the balanced pads it takes on a warmer more v-shaped sound. In terms of imaging and soundstage the Beyer has the edge to my ears. Sub-bass extension and overall bass quality also goes to the Beyers. Timbre, vocals, and midrange I would say the Senns win and the Senns have a calmer more controlled treble. Resolution it can depend on the system but on most systems I tried, I would say the DT 1990.

While not all Beyers are trebly the majority are; the most recent models have been toning down the treble though. Beyers don’t tend to be as forward in the mids as Senns but they do have good midrange quality and timbre. Beyers house sound does tend to lean towards somewhat v-shaped but they do have a lot of different tunings.
Thanks,
What is the difference between the DT 1990 PRO and the semi-open Beyerdynamic T1 the 3rd?

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #8,670 of 9,641
Comparing a HD6XX to the DT1990 is like comparing apples and oranges. In short, the DT1990 is tuned to the diffuse field and HD650 to the free field curve...

And regarding the difference between the Analytical pads and the Balanced Pads, . I suspect Beye has made a silent revision.

I bought mine March this year and also some Dekoni velour pads. For some reason mine did not sound as everyone was describing they "should" sound back in 2018 when they first came out...

So I put them on my rig and guess what? The difference between the A-B pads was alot smaller everyone elses measurements. I also measured them with the Dekoni pads, - and it looks like it should...

Hell, I even went so far that I ordered two sets of new pads, because I thought mine were worn, - and guess what? still measures the same. :)

So, in short, the A pads are a tiny bit more spicy at 8K,... and the B pads have 2db more bass....

Anyway, for longer listening sessions I tent to pull down the 8K peak with about 3 db.

Imaging wise, they are better than the HD650. The midrange abit more flat on the A pads then the HD650 and better bass extension.But they are not as mid faward, so if you are listening to vocals, they will put the vocalist on the same "line" as the bass and strings instruments, instead of infront.

Did I mention the 8K peak... again, apples and oranges, free field curve vs diffuse field.

Great for mixing :)

All mesuremnts are RAW. Green is with the Dekoni pads. Orange with balanced pads. Violet with analytical pads.

1665039118539.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back