Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #7,306 of 9,628
I’ve just returned my Anandas due to my treble sensitivity. I’m looking at either the 650 or the 660s as they appear to be non-fatiguing and in my price range. What am I looking for, a ‘darker’ or warmer sound? I’m fairly new to this.
Well the 650 has the least treble of the three and is the most warm/dark as well. You might want to look into a OTL tube amp as well. To me the 600 and 650 are meant for tube amps. The still sound great with solid state amps but tubes make them sound so full bodied and smooth.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #7,307 of 9,628
I should mention though the 650 is my least favourite of the three but not sure exactly why other then I get board of them the quickest. If your not planning to get a tube amp I think you would really enjoy the 660S

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #7,309 of 9,628
That’s my issue. I have to settle for ‘boring’ headphones because the brighter they are, the more uncomfortable.
You may really like the Audeze LCD-2C then. Extremely warm, sounding with a recessed treble. Impossible to get fatigued with.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #7,310 of 9,628
I should mention though the 650 is my least favourite of the three but not sure exactly why other then I get board of them the quickest. If your not planning to get a tube amp I think you would really enjoy the 660S
Same for me honestly, I like the HD 650 the first few weeks I get them then I’m bored of them. Tubes help but doesn’t solve the problem for me. The HD 600 takes a bit to get into at first but it grows on me over time, whereas the HD 650 I grow to dislike over time. The HD 660 S I consistently liked. It’s not the warmth of the HD 650 I have warmer headphones I enjoy more than the HD 650 such as the T1.3 and Nighthawk. I should love the HD 650 but honestly having owned it multiple times, I kind of hate it now whereas I’m fond of the HD 600 and HD 660 S.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #7,311 of 9,628
That’s my issue. I have to settle for ‘boring’ headphones because the brighter they are, the more uncomfortable.
Properly amped I wouldn't call the HD650 boring, but for some of us we find our attention waning, probably comes down to personality . lol
The 660S IMHO have that little bit extra and retains my attention, same for the HD58X....but the 650 may fit the bill and a more affordable version can be found here, although I see they are pending.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
You may really like the Audeze LCD-2C then. Extremely warm, sounding with a recessed treble. Impossible to get fatigued with.
ditto. : )

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #7,312 of 9,628
Properly amped I wouldn't call the HD650 boring, but for some of us we find our attention waning, probably comes down to personality . lol
The 660S IMHO have that little bit extra and retains my attention, same for the HD58X....but the 650 may fit the bill and a more affordable version can be found here, although I see they are pending.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

ditto. : )
Are the LCD-2C worth that extra $400 or so over the HD 660s if we're strictly talking about reducing fatigue?

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #7,313 of 9,628
Are the LCD-2C worth that extra $400 or so over the HD 660s if we're strictly talking about reducing fatigue?
Hard to say. 660S is more detailed and brighter. 2C has amazing bass and is the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. Just not sure if 660S would be to bright for you

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,314 of 9,628
A well amped HD650 plays just as well as a LCD-X. The darkness or Veil seems to disappear with good amps. But, we are talking about amps $2k+.

HD660S with a V200 would take care of treble sensitivity issues. V200 has treble roll off with a slight laid back sound.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #7,315 of 9,628
Hard to say. 660S is more detailed and brighter. 2C has amazing bass and is the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. Just not sure if 660S would be to bright for you
A well amped HD650 plays just as well as a LCD-X. The darkness or Veil seems to disappear with good amps. But, we are talking about amps $2k+.

HD660S with a V200 would take care of treble sensitivity issues. V200 has treble roll off with a slight laid back sound.
Thank you for your help. I've just purchased the 660s from Sennheiser directly, so I have 60 days to try em. If they're fatiguing, I'll just wait until I can try a pair of LCD-2C at my local hifi store.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #7,316 of 9,628
Thank you for your help. I've just purchased the 660s from Sennheiser directly, so I have 60 days to try em. If they're fatiguing, I'll just wait until I can try a pair of LCD-2C at my local hifi store.
Smart move. I have both and would have done the same. The LCD-2 Classic's have more bass, but lack a lot of detail, compared to the 660's. The 660's are my most transparent headphones, which can be a nice break from all my Very "flavoured" headphones. :ksc75smile:

And to be clear, the Classic's are Not bassy headphones. They are bassier than the Sundara's, but that's not saying much.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #7,317 of 9,628
Well hope you enjoy...haven't heard the 2C but if is anything like the LCD-2 pre-fazor I had, the 660 IMHO covers a lot more bases, the Audeze were nice to have on hand, loved the base but I kept returning to my Senns. : )
LCD-2.jpeg

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #7,318 of 9,628
Glad you made a decision. I think you are going to enjoy the 660S. Report back to us what you think of them after they arrive.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #7,319 of 9,628
8A1F2CD3-E144-48A5-B190-2BB2B4603E7F.png

Quite interesting that the average load is 217ohms. Only drops to 150ohms around 2k.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #7,320 of 9,628
I (noob with a Magni/ 4490 Modi) am still going back and forth over the 660 / Sundara and tweaking EQ settings and then going back to Exclusive Mode with no EQ.

I alternate between Exclusive Mode (Amazon HD) and PEACE EQ, evidently you can't EQ Exclusive Mode, with headphones and I still have trouble deciding on one or the other. Even after a month or so of this back and forth, it's still hard for me to pick out a hands down winner.

I listen to the Sundara with EQ and swear up and down I love it best but then I listen to Springsteen's "My Hometown" on the 660 in Exclusive Mode (Amazon HD) and it's obvious the 660 wins out between the two - The way the acoustic strumming and backing vocals goosebumped me in Exclusive made me question all my prior decisions on the two headphones as well as my thoughts overall regarding EQ vs Exclusive Mode.

Maybe these are two different animals and I like them for different reasons. The 660 is the out of the box plug it in and listen winner but the Sundara is the headphone dork answer. The Sundara really responded to EQ for me and I've had a lot of fantastic listening experiences listening to music with it using EQ.

Anything that tends to *really* need EQ , perfect example: the 80's album by Larry Carlton "On Solid Ground", sounds wafer thin using the supposedly "bit perfect" Exclusive Mode, no matter the headphone you use. The Sundara + free EQ excels with material like this. I started with the oratory1990 presets but further toned down the crazy treble focused mix of this retro album and, using his presets as a guide, coaxed out those sweet ****in' basslines lying underneath, waiting to be revealed. I wouldn't even bother to listen to it without EQ and that's some of LC's best playing. His solos really soar above us all on this album. Just listen to his version of "Layla". He puts Clapton to shame! Without EQ, this album is hard to listen to but with Sundara and EQ, it elicits goosebumps.

My CXA81 / Wharfedale 4.2 loudspeaker setup proved to be a set it and forget it. Plug it up and it sounds sublime streaming whatever music or with TV / Netflix. This setup has never worried my big, ugly head. In contrast, this headphone thing has turned into an obsession for me!

...edited for clarity

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back