Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 11, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #7,261 of 9,627
Nice. Which Valves are you using btw?

I managed to reduce the clamping force by letting the headphones sit extended/stretched on top of box overnight. They are very comfortable now but I get the feeling the sound has changed because of the reduce clamping force. The Mid Bass isn’t hitting as hard anymore. But there is more definition. The Mids have definitely become more smooth. Treble is still the same. This is all playing straight out a MacBook Pro. Amp and DAC are on their way.
Just stock tubes

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #7,262 of 9,627
Nice. Which Valves are you using btw?

I managed to reduce the clamping force by letting the headphones sit extended/stretched on top of box overnight. They are very comfortable now but I get the feeling the sound has changed because of the reduce clamping force. The Mid Bass isn’t hitting as hard anymore. But there is more definition. The Mids have definitely become more smooth. Treble is still the same. This is all playing straight out a MacBook Pro. Amp and DAC are on their way.

Maybe you are losing some seal around the ear?

Maybe some Dekoni Elite Velour pads would help. They are a bit deeper than the stock pads, so might get some of the seal back.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #7,263 of 9,627
So, after my 660s return from warranty i still need to buy a dac/amp combo. I was searching for the options you guys suggested me on aliexpres. The E1DA 9038D and the Hidizs S8.

I also have seen a new product, the Hidizs S9. It even has both balanced and unbalanced in the same unit.

Now i need to decide between the E1DA 9038D and the Hidizs S9.
Any suggestions?
If you are still looking for a dac/amp for your HD660S I would love to recommend the FiiO Q3. Using it with my HD660S and the pair just lovely. It is a bit bigger then the E1DA or the S9 but has an internal battery. I run my HD660S via 4.4mm balanced output and on low gain 50% of volume is about 60-70 db depending on the recording measured with a SPL meter.

I also use the Fiio Q3 with my Koss KPH30i via 3.5mm and with my FiiO FH3 via 2.5mm balanced with out any issues.

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #7,265 of 9,627
Maybe you are losing some seal around the ear?

Maybe some Dekoni Elite Velour pads would help. They are a bit deeper than the stock pads, so might get some of the seal back.
Thanks. I just tried to press the edges of the cups a bit (without covering the drivers) and didn't change the Bass. I kept thinking that maybe that I became used to the sound. But my ears haven't gotten the same treatment from my speakers and Sub.

I am not complaining about the sound. Just curious if it's burn-in or my brain playing more tricks on me (anyone else see a similar change?). I think they sound even better. I feel they are resolving even more and the frequency response seems very even now.

I have finally found an amp and a DAC. I found an used Auralic Taurus mk2. Old schoool beast. DAC is a Metrum Flint Dac two. Yes, I love the R2R sound (owned a Musette and a Holo Spring lvl 3 years ago). Hopefully, they make a bit of a difference in couple of weeks when they get here.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #7,267 of 9,627
I am not complaining about the sound. Just curious if it's burn-in or my brain playing more tricks on me (anyone else see a similar change?). I think they sound even better. I feel they are resolving even more and the frequency response seems very even now.

There is little evidence of actual headphone burn-in. There is ton of evidence of brain adjustment.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #7,268 of 9,627
Anyone else prefer the 660S on a OTL tube amp? I’m using mine lately with my Darkvoice and it’s amazing
I love it with my Feliks Audio Espressivo. Splendid, rich, detailed sound.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #7,269 of 9,627
There is little evidence of actual headphone burn-in. There is ton of evidence of brain adjustment.
Perhaps both? I certainly have heard substantial changes to various headphones (not all). Some are unlistenable out of the box, so I don't listen for more than 5 minutes. 3 days later after constant burn in they sound like pure gold. I doubt there brain adjustment based on 5 minutes of listening. Just my onion....

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #7,270 of 9,627
Perhaps both? I certainly have heard substantial changes to various headphones (not all). Some are unlistenable out of the box,..........
Have to agree with this one...both pairs of 660s and my HD700....were quite mediocre, being quite stiff, right out of the box but really only took a couple of hours loosen up a bit, less so on the HD800 and 800S. Also quite noticeable IMHO, once the motor structure, Mylar cone and voice coil became more malleable, was that I was listening at lower volumes.
Possible slight changes with further use but most probably attributable to brain burn-in and the pads changing.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #7,271 of 9,627
Have to agree with this one...both pairs of 660s and my HD700....were quite mediocre, being quite stiff, right out of the box but really only took a couple of hours loosen up a bit, less so on the HD800 and 800S. Also quite noticeable IMHO, once the motor structure, Mylar cone and voice coil became more malleable, was that I was listening at lower volumes.
Possible slight changes with further use but most probably attributable to brain burn-in and the pads changing.
Concur completely with both posts above. I think it's a combination of both. I've heard enough equipment change sound over their first several hours of operation to know it's a real phenomena. Of course it makes perfect sense that your brain adjusting to the sound signature could be part of it also.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #7,272 of 9,627
I have tried the HD 660 several times with OTL Megahertz, in my opinion the true character of these headphones comes out only with solid-state amplifiers. The Violectric V200 and HD 660 is a very good combination. The HD 58X are beautiful with both of my amps. The HD 650's are allergic to solid-state amps, but with OTL they sound great.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #7,273 of 9,627
If you are still looking for a dac/amp for your HD660S I would love to recommend the FiiO Q3. Using it with my HD660S and the pair just lovely. It is a bit bigger then the E1DA or the S9 but has an internal battery. I run my HD660S via 4.4mm balanced output and on low gain 50% of volume is about 60-70 db depending on the recording measured with a SPL meter.

I also use the Fiio Q3 with my Koss KPH30i via 3.5mm and with my FiiO FH3 via 2.5mm balanced with out any issues.
Hi! Thank you so much!
But i think i will get a Hifiman Ananda and sell my 660s after what happened. I am able to get a New Ananda for $500.
Still, will try both. And if i decide to keep the 660s instead, i will try this FiiO Q3!

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #7,274 of 9,627
Perhaps both? I certainly have heard substantial changes to various headphones (not all). Some are unlistenable out of the box, so I don't listen for more than 5 minutes. 3 days later after constant burn in they sound like pure gold. I doubt there brain adjustment based on 5 minutes of listening. Just my onion....
I was just thinking this.
I have tried the HD 660 several times with OTL Megahertz, in my opinion the true character of these headphones comes out only with solid-state amplifiers. The Violectric V200 and HD 660 is a very good combination. The HD 58X are beautiful with both of my amps. The HD 650's are allergic to solid-state amps, but with OTL they sound great.
The HD660S don’t like OTL because of the high output impedance. That’s why OTLs match well with high impedance cans. Anything more than 5-10 ohms is a no-no for HD660s IMO.
There are Transformer coupled SET amps which are matching well with the HD660S due to the low impedance output.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #7,275 of 9,627

What I said doesn't imply "perhaps both." LOL

Our brains greatly affect our perception of audio. For example, recent fMRI research shows that the entire audio pathway of the brain changes audio to create the expectation bias effect https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-01/tud-whw010821.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back