Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #3,586 of 9,628
I'm still trying to figure out what's the most annoying khz range for me. For some reason there's something about the K712 Pro that my ears don't like. If I compare HD 58X Jubilees to HD 595 there's no doubt that HD 58X is brighter sounding in practice (HD 595 might peak higher ~10K but that's not bothersome).

My HD 595 has really old, worn pads so the sound signature may be way different than with new pads. I do wonder in what direction HD 58X will go once the pads break in... To be totally honest, I wouldn't mind slightly less treble energy or "veil" because it would sound more pleasant (and neutral) to my ears. I don't know if I would call these bright but may cause some listening fatigue - it's not forgiving for audio compression artifacts (from low bitrate i.e. audio samples from Beatport for example). Probably applies to HD 660 S too. Ideal for me would be slightly more relaxed and less bright for continuous non-fatiguing listening in my opinion. (Though that being said the clamp is still quite strong even after bending it quite a bit and that's definitely fatiguing, lol.)

On the K712, it’s likely around the 2khz region, it makes the headphone sound hard. If you lower the 2khz region the K712 will likely sound a lot better to you. I would experiment with a little EQ there. On the AKGs with pad wear they can lose bass interestingly, Senns and Beyers tend to gain bass with wear. Cleaning the AKG pads can help when they get quite worn.

Worn pads will definitely change things a lot. I had a HD 545 with very worn pads honestly loved them with the worn pads, new pads made them way too bright. On the Sennheisers as well as Beyers. Wear of the pads will warm the sound up, bring the mids forward, and calm the highs.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #3,587 of 9,628
I'm still trying to figure out what's the most annoying khz range for me. For some reason there's something about the K712 Pro that my ears don't like. If I compare HD 58X Jubilees to HD 595 there's no doubt that HD 58X is brighter sounding in practice (HD 595 might peak higher ~10K but that's not bothersome).

My HD 595 has really old, worn pads so the sound signature may be way different than with new pads. I do wonder in what direction HD 58X will go once the pads break in... To be totally honest, I wouldn't mind slightly less treble energy or "veil" because it would sound more pleasant (and neutral) to my ears. I don't know if I would call these bright but may cause some listening fatigue - it's not forgiving for audio compression artifacts (from low bitrate i.e. audio samples from Beatport for example). Probably applies to HD 660 S too. Ideal for me would be slightly more relaxed and less bright for continuous non-fatiguing listening in my opinion. (Though that being said the clamp is still quite strong even after bending it quite a bit and that's definitely fatiguing, lol.)

EDIT:
I've been doing quite a bit of bending to reduce the clamping force and these are now close to perfection. Unless I'm imagining stuff, I feel that it has effect on how these sound (IMO improvement, more pleasant highs).

While the HD660S that I've been using is not mine the owner already bent the sliders to lessen the clamping force since he's like me and find the stock clamping force of the all the 6 hundred series and even the 5 hundred series a bit much. This really lessens the pad ware/compression and like @kman1211 noted will change the sound a touch, good or bad it depends on the individual.

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #3,588 of 9,628
While the HD660S that I've been using is not mine the owner already bent the sliders to lessen the clamping force since he's like me and find the stock clamping force of the all the 6 hundred series and even the 5 hundred series a bit much. This really lessens the pad ware/compression and like @kman1211 noted will change the sound a touch, good or bad it depends on the individual.
My HD 595 has never clamped too much and even with head band change it clamps so little that the whole thing will fall off my head easily. So, compared to that HD 58X had quite a death grip. :D

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #3,589 of 9,628
I'm a little undecided as to whether I love the HD660S or not. Being new to this Expressway to Bankruptcy I have an Astell & Kern AK70 Mkii DAP (playing 16Bit & 24Bit FLAC) with Senheisser IE80S IEM's with Forza Audio UPOCC copper/silver (Hybrid Series) cable, 2.5mm TRRS Balanced connection, and to my ears it sounds incredible.

I also have a pair of HD660S's with Forza Audio UPOCC copper/silver cable (Claire Hybrid HPC), ViaBlue 3.5mm connection, but the AK70Mk ii doesn't have the oomph to drive them so I hook up the AK70 (via USB) to an iFi iDSD BL, but whilst the iDSD BL is nore than powerful enough to drive the HD660S's I think I prefer the sound from the IE80S's. Not sure if it's a headphone or DAC issue yet

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #3,591 of 9,628
I would try a balanced cable witb the 660's. It will almost double the output of the A&K (2.3Vrms vs 4.0Vrms).
I can only second that, I run the HD660S from the 4.4 mm balanced jack of my Sony WM1A all the time. Forza can convert your existing cable to 2.5 mm plug easily. I have the Noir Hybrid for my HD800SD terminated to 4.4mm Pentacon from them.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #3,592 of 9,628
Hmm... I kinda want to change the pads, to something softer... It's not uncomfortable or anything, but I want my clouds back from my DT1990. Has anyone tried different pads and if so, in what way they affect the sound? Adding lower end would always be nice. ^^
Also would like to change the headband padding to something softer as well.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3,593 of 9,628
Hmm... I kinda want to change the pads, to something softer... It's not uncomfortable or anything, but I want my clouds back from my DT1990. Has anyone tried different pads and if so, in what way they affect the sound? Adding lower end would always be nice. ^^
Also would like to change the headband padding to something softer as well.
Mine are super soft already by their usual degradation. It does not add bass though.

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,595 of 9,628
Im sure this has been talked about already, but form someone who has heard both, how much of a difference is there between the hd600 and the hd660s? Been looking at reviews and some say it's a really noticeable difference some say not much. I have the hd600 and i love them, so i wanted to know is the hd660s an improved and more refined version of the 600 by rounding out the sound a bit in the treb and mids and a littler more bass or are the differences not really noticeable?

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,597 of 9,628
I didn't have much time to audition the 660's, but my first impression and to my recollection the 660's has a bigger soundstage than the 600's with a sound signature perceived as a tad "harsher" sounding and not as smooth as the 600's. I would say the 660 sound is closer to 600 than for example 650. The so called "veil" is not at all present in the 660's.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,598 of 9,628
I think the "harshness" is very dependent on the source. Driven by a Pono (balanced) or a Schiit Valhalla 2 or a Neve RNHP or a McIntosh MA6300 there is no harsh sound that I can detect. Much better sound than the 600's with these sources. YMMV

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,599 of 9,628
I think the "harshness" is very dependent on the source. Driven by a Pono (balanced) or a Schiit Valhalla 2 or a Neve RNHP or a McIntosh MA6300 there is no harsh sound that I can detect. Much better sound than the 600's with these sources.

I could be wrong about the "harshness". That's how I perceived them listening and comparing with the 600's for a short time through an HDV820. I have to test them out for a longer period of time to make a final judgement.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #3,600 of 9,628
Yeah, the sound of the HD660s is very amp dependant. I can hear some harshness right from ASUS STX II sound card. Through Little Dot II or my old speaker amp, the sound is warmer, but still nothing audiophile.
Now, I'm waiting for Schiit Audio Magni 3 and we'll see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back