Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,526 of 9,628
Not to mention, it really isn't the job of a headphone to make a bad recording listenable. I get that people who like music that is poorly recorded care, but do consider the flip side of a "smoothing" sound signature. When you have well done music, the really lovely micro details can be smoothed so the nice buzzing of strings, or reedy reverberation of a nicely plucked upright bass will be altered or lost so smoothing comes at a penalty. Personally, and I know this will be a controversial opinion, I stopped listening to music if it was poorly recorded, even if I loved it for years. If the music is poorly recorded there is no chance that I will enjoy it through headphones, I don't care how good the music is, it isn't worth it. Poorly recorded music is made tolerable by speakers so that is how I will listen. Strapping something to your head, right against your ear and playing poorly recorded music for me is hard to fathom why? No music is that good.

The other positive aspect of this decision is that it forced me to search for and find other genres of music that were well enough recorded so it has had the effect of broadening my musical horizons.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #3,533 of 9,628
I made a slight tweak to my system today. I purchased the Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB-A to Micro cable. The sound improvements are very welcomed with the HD 660S's. I switched back and forth with my Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable just to be sure I wasn't deceiving myself. Sure enough I gain a some low end presence, some midrange sweetness, and some treble clarity, nice!! The second improvement was my purchase of the CEtrance DACportable. It's pure class A and together with the blue dragon usb cable it really cleaned up the HD 660S's sound and made it a more musical sounding headphone. I was really contemplating returning these but I think I found some synergy finally without breaking the bank.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,534 of 9,628
I made a slight tweak to my system today. I purchased the Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB-A to Micro cable. The sound improvements are very welcomed with the HD 660S's. I switched back and forth with my Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable just to be sure I wasn't deceiving myself. Sure enough I gain a some low end presence, some midrange sweetness, and some treble clarity, nice!! The second improvement was my purchase of the CEtrance DACportable. It's pure class A and together with the blue dragon usb cable it really cleaned up the HD 660S's sound and made it a more musical sounding headphone. I was really contemplating returning these but I think I found some synergy finally without breaking the bank.

I believe in your Centrance DAC/Amp upgrade. It must be a nice sounding unit, combining a top tier DAC from AKM and a class A amp in a single portable unit. I don’t believe however in significant sound improvements of USB cables. Such cable works in the digital world. It either works or not, like a light bulb on a switch. I do not believe in significant differences in digital cables, except for special units which includes special integrated circuits which may clear up any interferences such as the Audioquest What’s the name again Bug something. But a basic USB A to Micro USB cable without any special circuit to eliminate interferences? A USB cable is a USB cable to me. I could be wrong, but I don’t see how.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,535 of 9,628
I believe in your Centrance DAC/Amp upgrade. It must be a nice sounding unit, combining a top tier DAC from AKM and a class A amp in a single portable unit. I don’t believe however in significant sound improvements of USB cables. Such cable works in the digital world. It either works or not, like a light bulb on a switch. I do not believe in significant differences in digital cables, except for special units which includes special integrated circuits which may clear up any interferences such as the Audioquest What’s the name again Bug something. But a basic USB A to Micro USB cable without any special circuit to eliminate interferences? A USB cable is a USB cable to me. I could be wrong, but I don’t see how.
You could be right about the cable. What I'm hearing could be the result of better electronics. But when I switch back and forth between the two cables I am hearing a change in the sound. I'm normally not a believer in the cable hype but I have to admit I am sound improvements with the blue dragon cable.

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,536 of 9,628
I wasn’t a believer at first, but then Rob explained it really well in the MOJO faq thread. Basically it’s about jitters and how the DAC receives the 0s and 1s.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #3,537 of 9,628

That’s pretty much been my experience with better usb cables. The difference can be more noticeable when switching between usb and optical or coaxial. The difference between usb and optical on my system is dramatic, particularly in the bass, especially when speakers are hooked up to my system. I can swap between usb and optical practically instantly on my system which makes it easy to compare. The HD 660 S sounds notably cleaner and more dynamic out of optical on my system.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #3,538 of 9,628
Can you do it for science? I'd like to hear my HD660s with a balanced cable, but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

I did some testing today with FiiO Q5 and HD 660 S balanced vs single ended (Q5 has both). I did not think that there would be a difference but there is. It is not a huge difference but it is there when switching back and forth.

I actually have to agree with this review about balanced/single eded: https://www.headfonia.com/review-sennheiser-hd660-s/

The sound is a bit brighter with single ended cable/output. With balanced cable/output the sound is fuller, more bass and slightly softer treble. They both sound great but I personally prefer the sound with balanced cable.

r9g383.jpg

Jul 7, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #3,539 of 9,628
I did some testing today with FiiO Q5 and HD 660 S balanced vs single ended (Q5 has both). I did not think that there would be a difference but there is. It is not a huge difference but it is there when switching back and forth.

I actually have to agree with this review about balanced/single eded: https://www.headfonia.com/review-sennheiser-hd660-s/

The sound is a bit brighter with single ended cable/output. With balanced cable/output the sound is fuller, more bass and slightly softer treble. They both sound great but I personally prefer the sound with balanced cable.

r9g383.jpg
I really love the Q5 and I also am able to use the balanced input with my Pioneer SE Monitor 5. I'm intrigued by the HD660, but think I might prefer a little warm, mid magic such as the HD650 can bring. I can't imagine the Q5 could drive the HD650 loud enough for my needs as I like a sustained 85-90dB with peaks hitting higher. I do tend to listen for shorter durations so this saves my ears I think.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,540 of 9,628
Please give us an example of a poor recording to be able to help. Seems that I only have good recordings. Why would anyone want to listen to poor recordings at all?[/QUOTE]

I've got to agree with you - generally speaking, my music is well recorded. I've chased remaster after remaster to have the
best recordings of the music I like...even during the late 70's and 80's, I'd have friends in England pick up (vinyl) albums for me
since those pressings were so much better than the USA pressings. And this continues even today, as I source most of my
recorded music from Europe and Japan.

But - trying to keep this concise so as not to hijack the thread - there are millions of recordings (if not even more)
that aren't sonically outstanding, but good enough, and the music is well worth it. A few off the top of my head are
Souvlaki (Slowdive), Under the Big Black Sun (X), You (Gong), Leige and Leaf (Fairport Convention),
Remain in Light (Talking Heads)...

And conversely, how's about all those amazing sounding recordings where the music is honestly less than stellar?
Must admit to having more than my fair share of those. :ok_hand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back