Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #2,944 of 9,628
Well I've stopped
Well...looks like ..."No news is good news" ... : )

Well I've stopped looking for any new headphones since !

Also stopped looking for DAP's/DAC's & smartphones too since getting an LG V30+

Good news for me is I'm saving money !

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,945 of 9,628
Does anyone have a spare HD 660 S balanced Pentaconn cable they want to part with? If so, please send me a private message.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,946 of 9,628
Took a break from the headphone game and had to sell off some gear but making my return with a new pair of HD 660s for serious listening. Stone cold out of the box these things kill acoustic jazz and vocals! Could do with a little less clamping pressure and a touch more low end but I suspect those two things will come around after some break in.

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,947 of 9,628
Took a break from the headphone game and had to sell off some gear but making my return with a new pair of HD 660s for serious listening. Stone cold out of the box these things kill acoustic jazz and vocals! Could do with a little less clamping pressure and a touch more low end but I suspect those two things will come around after some break in.

Sure break in helps a lot. And on the clamping force, just extensive th headband as much as possible and bend the metal outwards. This can be undone by bending inwards. Never put force on the plastic though.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,948 of 9,628
Exactly,why people are scared about plastic idk,like a former owner of Hifiman HE500(same thing with Audeze)i much prefer the construction on the Sennheiser's,very light and no problems with clamping force either.

I agree with you regarding the strength and durability of plastic.
That is, the newer generation of plastic(s).

There's not a whole lot of interest in this stuff by the general public.
Strange names, and, at present, used mostly in aerospace and
military applications.

But, just for example, there's PCTFE.
Useful temperature range: –400°F
to 380°F
Excellent chemical resistance
Current uses include
Aerospace valve seats, pump parts, impellers,
diaphragms, and plugs.

G10 (aka FR4) has steadily and surely made its way into the production
of hard- use, tactical, and military knives -
Specificially the handles.
It's waterproof, light in weight, chemical resistant,
extremely strong and tough,
and it has terrific "gripability". In fact, it's so strong that
some custom makers fashion actual blades out of G10
alone.
Also has the benefit of availability in a wide range of colors
for coding and additional purposes.
It's essentially blended epoxy and fiberglass phenolic.

There are other "high tech" plastics, of course. R&D is expanding
into this field on a daily and worldwide basis.

Still, though, metals have their place. Little, if any, can
substitute for it in a large variety of applications.

So I have absolutely no issue when I see "plastic" headphones
being produced by a reputable company.
Nothing to do with Theo's review but high quality plastic IMHO is about the best way to go for a headphone, not too sure where this feeling for metal has comes from, it's heavier, scratches, gets bent, dented, can and does cause strange acoustic vibrations due to its density and molecular structure....whats the most fragile part of the 600 series....the metal grill. : 0 The 6xx's plastic design (no screws, take that metal) is still holding up after 20 years, it's very rare to see one coming apart unless overly abused. Yes there is the "pride of owner ship" but headphones get worn, dropped and walked on by the best of us. : )

Exactly,why people are scared about plastic idk,like a former owner of Hifiman HE500(same thing with Audeze)i much prefer the construction on the Sennheiser's,very light and no problems with clamping force either.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,949 of 9,628
You are so right about acoustic jazz. These phones get the touch of fingers on an upright bass amazingly well.

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #2,950 of 9,628
Wonderful.Simply wonderful.
20180326_144611.jpg

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,952 of 9,628
I run a similar setup for my HD700. Except instead of lehmann i have burson soloist sl.

Mojo is apparently tuned using Sennheiser hps, at least thats how I feel about the synergy.

Yup,everything clicks.I just got the amp and listening for an hour so i am loath to write definitive impressions but i am smiling really wide.Synergy is amazing,i get spaciousness ,clarity,very good detail,thick and realistic mids although vocals are not as pushed to the front as with mojo alone but are just as engaging.Everything sounds really fast,tight and very technical.The price is absurd for what you get.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,953 of 9,628
Yup,everything clicks.I just got the amp and listening for an hour so i am loath to write definitive impressions but i am smiling really wide.Synergy is amazing,i get spaciousness ,clarity,very good detail,thick and realistic mids although vocals are not as pushed to the front as with mojo alone but are just as engaging.Everything sounds really fast,tight and very technical.The price is absurd for what you get.

It was the first time I heard this much of texture on instruments using open back hps, outside iems. Also pin point imaging on a 3d soundstage. I feel it sounds akin to "plugging in mastering console in recording studio". I get that type of feel, getting that close to music.

Mojo I feel is a difficult dac to find synergy with in terms of hps, preferring fiio x5 for both my dita answer and akg k550. But for hd700, no doubt its the one.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #2,954 of 9,628

I’ve been really enjoying the HD 660 S lately, after spending extensive time with it compared to the Amiron Home and HD 650, I think I am liking it the most, the mids really speak to me. Then there is the freak of nature that is the DT 480, with the recent mods I did to it is ruining every other headphone for me, let’s just say it’s not easy to go back to the Amiron or HD 660 S. I’m at a bit of an impasse, I’m finding audio nirvana with a modded 40 year old 8 Ohm sealed headphone and it’s hard for me to view other headphones the same anymore, I always expected it to be some flagship but instead it’s some ancient sorta ugly thing. Maybe this will pass, we’ll see. We tend to find audio nirvana eventually, that’s the purpose of the audiophile journey.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,955 of 9,628
I don't know about anybody else but personally I am really glad this is so much easier to drive than the hd650. Finally I can respectably drive these using balanced out on portable players. While the black is nice, I still like the no logo/plain look of the HD6xx, so I took the drivers out and put them in the HD6xx housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back