Sennheiser HD650 price drop?
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

franconero

Head-Fier
I've been following the prices of HD650 on Amazon and it hasn't really moved from $499 for a while. This morning I look and the price is now $429. Seems like the time to buy, but I wonder if it might signal something else - a new model perhaps?

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Amazon price trend to fluctuate from time to time, they occasionally reduce their price depend on the seller & promotion program. 
Consider the value of Sen HD650 and price of other reputable sellers, the Sen HD650 is well worth the $500 price tag. Even with the latest release of Sen HD700; which doesn't make a lot of people (including me) in this forum happy with it, the sen HD650 is even more fantastic. If you are interested on it, just pull the trigger. You will get what you pay for.
FYI, I bought my Sen HD650 at $360 after tax & shipping from Amazon warehouse. but that is rare.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm sure you're right - I'm buying this morning. I almost bought the HD650 about 2 years ago but I balked at the then "high" (ahem) price of $339 and went with HD598 instead. While I've enjoyed the HD598, I've regretted not pulling the trigger the first time.

A $70 price change to &429 seems significant, especially as the price for the HD600 remains $399. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 18
I've heard rumors of an HD700 and HD800, but it's probably just scuttlebutt. :D. Seriously, this is just a normal price fluctuation ( http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/product/B00018MSNI ) and the price has been lower not that long ago. Sennheiser would have to be crazy to discontinue a top selling product like the HD650. The HD650 is a great value at $430, but I think you can do better if you're patient.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 18
I just bought an HD-650 last week, after calling several places and finding out stores are deathly afraid of Sennheiser finding out they are discounting their merchandise and thus claiming their first born and taking their families hostage. I also waited for a price drop on Amazon (never saw anything significant) and considered buying a refurb from Dahmart. In the end I went with Headroom since they are a reputable place. Then today I saw the price drop on Amazon.  I think everyone should thank me for that because it seems that every time I am shopping for something, the price drops right after I buy it.  Same as stocks - as soon as I buy one the price drops and as soon as I sell one the price goes way up.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
I just bought an HD-650 last week, after calling several places and finding out stores are deathly afraid of Sennheiser finding out they are discounting their merchandise and thus claiming their first born and taking their families hostage.

To be an authorized by Sennheiser, a vendor must respect Senn's Minimum Advertised Price (MAP.) Sennheiser cannot and does not set retail prices. Attempting to force U.S. retailers to observe a minimum retail price is an illegal practice known as Restraint of Trade.

Retailers are free to set their prices higher or lower than MAP at they please. I recommend you don't shop at a store justifies their prices who lie in this obvious manner.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 18
I'd personally just go with the Dakmart refurb as they're usually in like new condition and come with warranty. Lowest I've seen recently for a new pair was $299 from Shoreline Music's closeout section, but they're sold out now and not an authorized dealer. 

I'd be perfectly fine with buying the HD 650 second hand or gray market since there are no fakes, the headphone is incredibly durable, and all of the parts are snap in user replaceable. For the nearly $200 price difference between the MAP and gray market/used price, I could replace both drivers, the full set of cushions, and the cable in case of any failures.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
I'm sure you're right - I'm buying this morning. I almost bought the HD650 about 2 years ago but I balked at the then "high" (ahem) price of $339 and went with HD598 instead. While I've enjoyed the HD598, I've regretted not pulling the trigger the first time.

A $70 price change to &429 seems significant, especially as the price for the HD600 remains $399. 

Also, the price of a like new HD 600 refurb is about $230 shipped over at Dakmart. Over $100 less than a refurb HD 650.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

To be an authorized by Sennheiser, a vendor must respect Senn's Minimum Advertised Price (MAP.) Sennheiser cannot and does not set retail prices. Attempting to force U.S. retailers to observe a minimum retail price is an illegal practice known as Restraint of Trade.

Retailers are free to set their prices higher or lower than MAP at they please. I recommend you don't shop at a store justifies their prices who lie in this obvious manner.

That is true, I know that a manufacturer can set a "MAP." Legally and technically they can't force anyone to set a minimum actual selling price but some manufacturers are a lot more persuasive than others when it comes to "suggesting" to their vendors that they should observe some sort of minimum. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
That is true, I know that a manufacturer can set a "MAP." Legally and technically they can't force anyone to set a minimum actual selling price but some manufacturers are a lot more persuasive than others when it comes to "suggesting" to their vendors that they should observe some sort of minimum. 

I had always assumed that retailers were reluctant to give unadvertised discounts. Why should they? If everyone advertises the same price, it appears like that's the price you have to pay.

But I don't have any inside information. If I did, I wouldn't have ordered the HD 650 from Amazon last week at $499. Oh, well.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 18
I got my HD 650 for 225 shipped. Open box look like brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back