Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #13,651 of 46,514
My first post...

I use an original V-DAC and a Project Horizon amp built from a kit using a 6DJ8 Amperex Holland Orange Globe with both the HD650 and MadDog Alpha (not at the same time). It is interesting how similar both head phones sound (to me).

Tastes great... less filling...

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #13,653 of 46,514
After getting the HD-650's a couple month's ago and slowly burning them in I must say that I'm quite impressed with my purchase.  My previous setup was an AKG Q701 with a Matrix M-stage, and although I was fairly content with this pairing, switching to the 650's and a Burson HA-160 brought my listening experience to another level.  Better timber, more bass, and overall a lot more fun and engaging.  I'm definitely glad I decided to pick them up!

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #13,654 of 46,514
After getting the HD-650's a couple month's ago and slowly burning them in I must say that I'm quite impressed with my purchase.  My previous setup was an AKG Q701 with a Matrix M-stage, and although I was fairly content with this pairing, switching to the 650's and a Burson HA-160 brought my listening experience to another level.  Better timber, more bass, and overall a lot more fun and engaging.  I'm definitely glad I decided to pick them up!

So you like the Burson? Have been thinking about buying one, I just don't have a chance to audition one very easily. With the hd650's I've got a little dot mk3 tube amp and dac that I'm wanting to upgrade. The sound is amazing its just I was limited for space so i purchased a smaller dac and amp. but building a house with a dedicated pc/music room so skies the limit. Don't want to go crazy with the $ but possibly benchmark dac1 and burson amp. Or a higher end tube amp I'm trying to get to audition a few more amps somehow and then making a decision.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #13,655 of 46,514

That is quite the awesome setup. For some there is no need to go any further!

I hope so.  I don't plan on getting anything else for awhile.  I have too many other hobbies that burn money and I think this should be enough for me. At first, I thought buying the headphones was enough so adding a dac and amp already exceeded what I thought I would be spending.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #13,656 of 46,514
Yea, the Burson is definitely a step up from the M-stage when paired with the HD650s, at least to my ears.  Although I'm curious to try them out with the Bottlehead Crack after hearing a lot of hype surrounding the pairing.  I'm sure $1,400 is more than enough to get a decent rig for the 650s, at that price you can find something like a Woo Audio 6SE paired with a solid $300-$400 DAC.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #13,657 of 46,514
Hello fellow HD-650 owners / fans,

Curious as to whether anyone has tried any digital EQ on their 650s.  I was playing around with the plug-in 31 band Apple EQ within the newest Audirvana+.  Based on the freq response graph for the 650s (from Headroom.com) I made the attached configuration - a small curve peaking at +4db at 5K and then a little bump at 15-20K to match the corresponding dips there.  All else is flat from 1.6K down.

My first impression is really positive - maybe it's just something different.  Any one else try anything like this?

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #13,658 of 46,514
  Yea, the Burson is definitely a step up from the M-stage when paired with the HD650s, at least to my ears.  Although I'm curious to try them out with the Bottlehead Crack after hearing a lot of hype surrounding the pairing.  I'm sure $1,400 is more than enough to get a decent rig for the 650s, at that price you can find something like a Woo Audio 6SE paired with a solid $300-$400 DAC.

that was my first serious rig and my favorite when i had the HD 650s!!!

WA6-SE and i had a ps audio digital link 3.

i really liked it. the WA6-SE paired extremely well with the HD 650 (as it does with LCD-2)

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #13,659 of 46,514
that was my first serious rig and my favorite when i had the HD 650s!!!

WA6-SE and i had a ps audio digital link 3.

i really liked it. the WA6-SE paired extremely well with the HD 650 (as it does with LCD-2)

Nice thankyou have been thinking about the wa6-se it looks great I'm sure it will be a step above the little dot mk3. I still enjoy the little dot after tube rolling with hytron tubes and different power tubes aswell. Just always been curious if I enjoy my setup this much I'm wondering what better equipment will bring :).

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #13,661 of 46,514
I've tried digital EQ with Pure Audio and the HD650.  First, I used the frequency response curve from Tyll, and try to moderate the dips and peaks.  That actually sounded good!  But over time, I found that flat was best.  In part, I had update the cable, so extention was better.  But more importantly, the peaks and bumps were best left as-is.  Part of that is the headphone isn't performing as well in those areas due to destructive interference or resonances... so "correcting" them ends up emphasizing their least-capable frequency bands.  Second, flattening those regions cannot fix phase shift associated with the artifacts that gave rise.  I remember when I worked with Dick Heyser (look him up!), he said that attemps to flatten speakers with EQ had sounded worse than before hand.  (These days, we can correct rooms, a more doable and important fix.)

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #13,662 of 46,514
Hello, i'm looking for a new amp for the HD650. I've been a long time owner of HD650, i used to drive this can with cavalli's bijou OTL tube amp and it is fantastic until i got my LCD2/mini torii but i still miss the HD650's intimacy.

I've shortlisted some of the potential amp that i'm interested in. Burson Soloist, WA3 and crack but i really do not have time to put together the crack. The most important aspect that i'm looking for in this pairing is musicality and intimacy. So what do you guys think of the soloist or the WA3? will it be a stepdown from my bijou OTL amp? 

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #13,663 of 46,514
  Hello, i'm looking for a new amp for the HD650. I've been a long time owner of HD650, i used to drive this can with cavalli's bijou OTL tube amp and it is fantastic until i got my LCD2/mini torii but i still miss the HD650's intimacy.

I've shortlisted some of the potential amp that i'm interested in. Burson Soloist, WA3 and crack but i really do not have time to put together the crack. The most important aspect that i'm looking for in this pairing is musicality and intimacy. So what do you guys think of the soloist or the WA3? will it be a stepdown from my bijou OTL amp? 

It took me two evenings (around 8 hours) to put my crack together, without any previous soldering experience. So, I won't throw away that option so quickly. Maybe you can listen to your LCD2 during the build :) And the pairing of Crack and 650 is indeed musical and intimate. Definitely.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #13,664 of 46,514

I would steer you toward the Decware CSP3+ or the Decware Taboo MK III. Both in that price range. One is OTL, the other SET. www.decware.com

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #13,665 of 46,514

I would steer you toward the Decware CSP3+ or the Decware Taboo MK III. Both in that price range. One is OTL, the other SET. www.decware.com

I have seen people recommended, on many occasions, that the csp3 is very very good with HD650. Since i already have the mini torii also from decware, i want to try different amps. But i will definitely think about it. 

It took me two evenings (around 8 hours) to put my crack together, without any previous soldering experience. So, I won't throw away that option so quickly. Maybe you can listen to your LCD2 during the build :) And the pairing of Crack and 650 is indeed musical and intimate. Definitely.

Yeah, plus it's cheap. Guess i really to dust my soldering kit and get to work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back