Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #13,381 of 46,554
Quote:
I've owned the M/M combo and ran them with my DT880s and HD650s before and though they were a decent match.  Are you running them bit-perfect through Foobar?  To me, it was a night/day difference running it with kernal streaming vs non-perfect.

Can you PM me on how to do this? Thanks:)

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #13,383 of 46,554
Quote:
I'd like to know too...is it something separate from WASAPI?

It is a different component used with Foobar, similar to Wasapi.  I think it uses the same concept but some people have noted that they preferred one over the other.  I'm currently using an Audio-GD NFB11.32 as my dac which supports 32 bit 384 khz, which is supported by Kernal Streaming.  Wasapi on the other hand limits me to 24bit 192 khz.  I'm not too sure if they would sound different on a DAC that's 24/192 or less.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/foobar2000-a-guide-to-set-up

This guide will show you how to install it though, but its same idea as wasapi.  Let me know your guys's impressions

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #13,384 of 46,554
I see. Thanks for explaining :)
Quote:

It is a different component used with Foobar, similar to Wasapi.  I think it uses the same concept but some people have noted that they preferred one over the other.  I'm currently using an Audio-GD NFB11.32 as my dac which supports 32 bit 384 khz, which is supported by Kernal Streaming.  Wasapi on the other hand limits me to 24bit 192 khz.  I'm not too sure if they would sound different on a DAC that's 24/192 or less.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/foobar2000-a-guide-to-set-up

This guide will show you how to install it though, but its same idea as wasapi.  Let me know your guys's impressions

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #13,385 of 46,554
Hey guys. My HD 580's have had the drivers finally give out and I ordered some HD 650 Drivers and grills to replace them with. The problem is that I cannot detach the HD 580 cups from the headband to attach the new ones, which seem to have a metallic lining instead of the foam lining. Picture is included. I don't want to brute force it if there is a proper way to remove these cups. Please help

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #13,386 of 46,554
Quote:
Hey guys. My HD 580's have had the drivers finally give out and I ordered some HD 650 Drivers and grills to replace them with. The problem is that I cannot detach the HD 580 cups from the headband to attach the new ones, which seem to have a metallic lining instead of the foam lining. Picture is included. I don't want to brute force it if there is a proper way to remove these cups. Please help

why do you need to remove the cups? the grill should fit on perfectly and the drivers just pull out (that driver with the plastic center thing which goes to the connectors. the plastic thing just pulls out

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #13,387 of 46,554
Quote:
got mine just today..out-of-the-box sound quality was not that impressive after an hour of listening..now burning-in..

3ysajuqa.jpg

pictures like this always make me want to re-buy HD 650s.

would it be a bad idea? having lcd-3 already and he-500? 

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #13,388 of 46,554
Quote:

why do you need to remove the cups? the grill should fit on perfectly and the drivers just pull out (that driver with the plastic center thing which goes to the connectors. the plastic thing just pulls out

The 650 driver enclosure has some metal linings. Would that affect the sound? If it doesn't, then I will just switch the drivers like you said.

Edit: It would be nice to know going forward if it is possible to remove the band though

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #13,389 of 46,554
Quote:

The 650 driver enclosure has some metal linings. Would that affect the sound? If it doesn't, then I will just switch the drivers like you said.

Edit: It would be nice to know going forward if it is possible to remove the band though

you mean that silver mesh thingy/ no you can't remove it, i don't think you can at least. maybe though. i know i ordered spare hd 650 drivers once, i don't remember if it came with that metal part as well or just the small driver in the middle. 

i know the HD 650 is much easier to take apart, almost everything is removeable on it lol.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #13,390 of 46,554
CosmicHolyGhost: Stock, and with some amps, the midrange is a bit fuller than usual, which gives tonality a realism that can be surprising. Also, voices for example can be startling in realism.  Some other headphones give a more distant sound and a female voice may have something somewhere in its frequency range that degrades the sense of wholeness and reality.  Of course, there are many newer headphones that I haven't heard yet.... 

Yet, with a better cable (full range and flat like Cardas Clear or Clear Light... yes, Cardas has become neutral), by which I don't mean the silver stuff and small producer cables for which I can't attest, the sound becomes extended and more detailed, and it approaches neutrality rather quickly.  I also remove the foam sheet (used a thin plastic window screen just to keep prying fingers and pinnae out), which helps quiet a bit.  I like the balance of detail and realism.  Not a detail freak if it costs that gestalt reality.  (just returned from spell checking gestalt.)

Amps make a difference too.  On my Arrow 4G, the gain has an effect. One gain setting is a bit too full in the midrange, too much of a good thing. Other settings sound flatter, almost ideal.  (Treble differs, so I picked the one that left voices undamaged... more important than extension).  The RSA SR-71B is even better. 

Hmm... coffee is taking effect.  Not as concise as muxamed.  

Stoney, thanks for the explanation. I recently picked up a used pair.. Shamefully have not spent too much time with it (portable iem usually get more play time) going SE on RSA intruder (high gain) the sound stage seems a bit smaller than k701.. Waiting for a rsa 4pin cable to re-listen again next week... Good and clean detailed sound so far..

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #13,392 of 46,554
Quote:

you mean that silver mesh thingy/ no you can't remove it, i don't think you can at least. maybe though. i know i ordered spare hd 650 drivers once, i don't remember if it came with that metal part as well or just the small driver in the middle. 

i know the HD 650 is much easier to take apart, almost everything is removeable on it lol.

That's not what I meant by that. Let me try to clarify. The new replacement drivers I ordered came with the cup assembly also. That assembly has a metallic looking lining in an oval shape about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. The original HD 580 driver enclosures did not have the metallic lining, but instead had thin cloth lining. The reason I want to remove the headband is so that I can attach the ENTIRE new enclosure to the headband just in case that lining is part of the sound signature of the new HD650 Drivers.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #13,393 of 46,554
New HD 650 owner here, one of the first things I'm going to do is clean the ear pads. Is there a guide to remove the headband padding as well? Also, is it safe to clean the material with water and maybe soap?

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #13,395 of 46,554
Quote:
Quote:
got mine just today..out-of-the-box sound quality was not that impressive after an hour of listening..now burning-in..

3ysajuqa.jpg

pictures like this always make me want to re-buy HD 650s.

would it be a bad idea? having lcd-3 already and he-500? 

What kind of question is that??? You always NEED another great pair of headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back