Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #12,946 of 46,514
Quote:
Quite obvious ODAC + O2 combo on high gain will overload the front end on peaks as ODAC has redbook output of 2Vrms at 0db so a gain of 2.5 will give peak of 7 volts which is pushing it on battery power but OK if you're using a power pack, unlike some people believe it doesn't matter how far you have to turn up the volume control to get the level you want as it's just an attenuator reducing the input level to the unity gain output buffer.

Well, quite obvious to some but probably not to your average headfier, definitely to me, who though no electrician is no dummy. John at JDS Labs said you have to use a special power pack, and not the one commonly sold to prevent distortion. Not sure or not if you're indicating I was listening loud or not, but I listen at very modest levels. 

Thanks for taking time to help people understand how to make this often-made recommendation work with the HD650! 

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #12,947 of 46,514
Quote:

I finally get to join you guys on this day, 850 pages long and I'm just getting on board now. I know the Fiio E17 isn't the best to drive these, but between saving for med school it's the best I could do, I got the Fiio E17 for 80$ from a friend, and the headphones with custom made cable for 270$ from here actually. The base wire is Doublehelixcables Nucleotide which is a UPOCC copper wire. Custom plugs and all, just waiting for a better 1/4 to 1/8th adapter to come in the mail.Great for a mid-tier audiophile. Of course there is better amps, I'm looking at the ODAC/O2 for my next amp, I hear great things of it, and chances are that's all I'll need for a couple of years, although I know I'll say that and dig my teeth into the next best thing when it comes out. I'm sure most of you guys have any who
wink.gif

welcome on board...u have one of the most engrossing headfone....and a sexy red cable to match. v sexy. enjoy your stay here...
feel free to defend your cable....dun sell it...:p

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #12,948 of 46,514
Hey guys, after an unfortunate incident where the cable for my 650's got caught on something on a table, as i stood up the right cup was pulled quite hard and came off the head band sending that little plastic clip that prevents the cup coming off  the head band into oblivion. They still work fine with no damage as i caught them but it's annoying me that i don't have the little plastic clip anymore. By chance does anyone have a broken headband with a spare one of these little plastic clips? i contacted Sennheiser thinking i could probably get one for a few £ but they do not sell them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #12,949 of 46,514
Hey guys, after an unfortunate incident where the cable for my 650's got caught on something on a table, as i stood up the right cup was pulled quite hard and came off the head band sending that little plastic clip that prevents the cup coming off  the head band into oblivion. They still work fine with no damage as i caught them but it's annoying me that i don't have the little plastic clip anymore. By chance does anyone have a broken headband with a spare one of these little plastic clips? i contacted Sennheiser thinking i could probably get one for a few £ but they do not sell them.
Perhaps this was already tried, but this site carries many Sennheiser parts:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Accessories/ci/11028/N/4232862312

Maybe it'd be worthwhile to contact them if you can't find the exact part listed there.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #12,950 of 46,514
I'll check that out, cheers

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #12,951 of 46,514
I had a great experience with Sennheiser repair service.  Of course, I had bought from an authorized dealer back then (but may have made that mistake on my latest one).    Very fast and free.  

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #12,952 of 46,514
Quote:
Perhaps this was already tried, but this site carries many Sennheiser parts:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Accessories/ci/11028/N/4232862312

Maybe it'd be worthwhile to contact them if you can't find the exact part listed there.

Great link!  I didn't see small parts, but for pads and everything else, it is much easier and more comprehensive than any other site I've seen, especially Senn's own. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #12,954 of 46,514
Quote:
I had a great experience with Sennheiser repair service.  Of course, I had bought from an authorized dealer back then (but may have made that mistake on my latest one).    Very fast and free.  

It's out of the warranty now unfortunately, i rang sennheiser and i would have to pay for a full service / repair to get that little part replaced. I'm hoping i can buy one from somewhere, failing that see if i can get access to a 3D printer at uni. I guess the 650's break that often for their to be extra spare parts around.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #12,955 of 46,514
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out? I currently have the akg k240 mkii headphones with the magni/modi with the laptop for mostly classical music. Though I mostly listen to classical I also listen to some modern pop and rap on occasion. So what do you guys think about the sennheiser hd 650 for my listening choices? How is the soundstage, comfort, bass, and imaging for these?

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12,956 of 46,514
For classical i think i prefer the AKG K702 but i also think the 650's also do a great job of reproducing classical music with a big soundstage, best comfort i have known of any headphones and fantastic imaging. Makes you feel like your actually their if you close your eyes, in one Tchaikovsky piece Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 "Pathétique": I. Adagio – Allegro non troppo performed by Slovak: Philharmonic Orchestra Bystrick Relucha you can hear pages turning, feet moving and chairs being moved etc, they are in the background but they are their.

I just find the K702's to have a slightly larger soundstage, a little more details and less warm sounding which i prefer, but only for classical. For every other genre the 650's are just better. The K702's just don't have the bass or impact for say metal, but that's just my opinion. The only other draw back i guess of the K702's in comparison is the lack of impact, so the 702's are more detailed as mentioned but the 650's are more impactful and emotional, certainly more musical and enjoyable. I guess the question is do you want a more musical, enjoyable headphone or more detail and soundstage. For classical i enjoy the detail personally but sometimes i am more in the mood for the 650's for more impact.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #12,957 of 46,514
Right now on AudioGon in case one of you guys has $22,000.00 to spare.  I'm weighing the idea right now myself : the Headphones or my marriage ?  
rolleyes.gif

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-sennheiser-orpheus-he90-hev-90-set-matching-pair-rare-and-original-2013-07-10-headphones-germany

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #12,958 of 46,514
Quote:
Right now on AudioGon in case one of you guys has $22,000.00 to spare.  I'm weighing the idea right now myself : the Headphones or my marriage ?  
rolleyes.gif

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-sennheiser-orpheus-he90-hev-90-set-matching-pair-rare-and-original-2013-07-10-headphones-germany

I could only dream of owning them

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #12,959 of 46,514
Quote:
For classical i think i prefer the AKG K702 but i also think the 650's also do a great job of reproducing classical music with a big soundstage, best comfort i have known of any headphones and fantastic imaging. Makes you feel like your actually their if you close your eyes, in one Tchaikovsky piece Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 "Pathétique": I. Adagio – Allegro non troppo performed by Slovak: Philharmonic Orchestra Bystrick Relucha you can hear pages turning, feet moving and chairs being moved etc, they are in the background but they are their.

I just find the K702's to have a slightly larger soundstage, a little more details and less warm sounding which i prefer, but only for classical. For every other genre the 650's are just better. The K702's just don't have the bass or impact for say metal, but that's just my opinion. The only other draw back i guess of the K702's in comparison is the lack of impact, so the 702's are more detailed as mentioned but the 650's are more impactful and emotional, certainly more musical and enjoyable. I guess the question is do you want a more musical, enjoyable headphone or more detail and soundstage. For classical i enjoy the detail personally but sometimes i am more in the mood for the 650's for more impact.

Yeah that's what I thought but everyone keeps telling me to get the sennheiser hd 600????????

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12,960 of 46,514
I weighed between getting the Hifiman He-400, and the HD650. I'm currently sitting on a pair of Denon D2000 which i love to death (and they're currently pretty dead, Years of pretty reckless use including sleeping with them: They're kept together by superglue and packingtape. The actual phones are great, they've just broken off at the hinges. Currently works pretty good but felt it was time to order something new.) 

I was curious on the planar magnetics, but i wanted something with the thump of the Denons, or close to it. Since the D200 are discontinued and more expensive second hand now than back when i bought them it came between He400 and HD650. I'd have to import the He400 and they'd be more expensive that way with taxes. I could get the HD650 for 450 bucks here in Sweden. So i went with the 650's.  Ordered from a store that did not have them in stock (to make sure i got the latest revision, not sure how long they'd sat on the shelf in the other store.) and now i'll have to wait until the 19th for them to receive them. 

Makes me sad, but the one who waits for something good...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back