Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #12,408 of 46,506
Quote:
The hd650 and hd600 have considerably more similarities than differences. They often get talked about like opposites but in fact, at least to my ears, they are not very far apart. 

+1

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #12,409 of 46,506
Ah I see, then perhaps I could recommend the k701/Q701/l702?? These series of cans have more detail and faster (more exciting??) sound with more bite overall IMO. The variation between them is subtle it seems, though my personal preference are the Annies for comfort and finish (the headband and pads in particular).

The DT 880s also have more "exciting" sound... for me I'm sensitive to hot trebles... and the pair I demoed were just way too harsh

Haha, thanks, but no. The K701 was actually the first full-size can I bought after discovering Head-Fi. Got it around 2006 or so. I didn't have "proper" amping at the time, but the K701 sounded incredibly dry and sterile. Shortly thereafter I got an ATH-AD2000 that's still with me and, if only it had a Sennheiser's bass, would be virtually perfect for me. But there's no way to get that bass out of the AD2k :)

If anyone has read my comments about the HD25-1 II, they'll know I am very sensitive to sibilance and "hot" treble. That's why I think Beyers and Denons are out of the picture for me. But I've learned that there's no way to be sure you'll like a headphone, apart from trying it yourself. If only it weren't so expensive... :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #12,410 of 46,506
Originally Posted by MattTCG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The hd650 and hd600 have considerably more similarities than differences. They often get talked about like opposites but in fact, at least to my ears, they are not very far apart. 

they are "50" apart.............50bucks diff on the buysell mkt.  
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #12,411 of 46,506
Quote:
Hey everybody, thanks for the replys.

For those who were curious, my HD650 is second-hand, so I can assume it to be fully burned-in. I'm driving it with a Matrix M-Stage, with which the difference between low gain and high gain already makes a huge difference in sound (high gain takes vocals more forward). Sources are my iPod Touch and my PC (my M-Stage has an incorporated DAC for when I use it out of the PC).

See, a few hours after I wrote my previous post, I went to an Apple Store to listen to the Senn Momentum. I prepared an extensive playlist of the music I listen to more often, so I could have a satisfying impression.

And I have to admit, although the Momentum has much less soundstage, imaging and separation than the HD650, it's more "my kind" of sound. The HD650 is always gentle, but when the need arises, I want my headphones to grate, to crunch, to be a bit harsher than what the HD650 seems capable of. The Momentum is very close to an over-the-ear version of the IE8, which by far gives me the most engaging sound I've heard so far. The Momentum's highs are that little bit gentler than the IE8's, which is very nice to me, but at the same time, they're not as smooth and tame as the HD650's. And the bass is strong, heavy, but not so much that it covers the mids.

As I said, I like the HD650, but it simly doesn't draw me into the music as the IE8 (and, apparently, the Momentum) can do. They're excellent, but maybe my ears are not made for that kind of excellence
tongue.gif

Maybe the cause of my insatisfaction is in the source and/or the amp. But I'm not going to spend to improve on those. For the same reason, the HD800 is out of the picture. Now I'm tempted to try the HD600, but I'm not sure. They say it's more upfront and less laid back than the HD650, but is it enough to give me the kind of excitement I want to get from music?

I repeat, I love the imaging and the separation in the HD650. Unfortunately, the can is simply too smooth and mellow for my taste. It does some things splendidly, and all the rest sounds technically good, but not involving.

To me it sounds like you might like the HD25/Amperiors too, when properly amped they sing.  But you said you are not happy with them.

But you know for sure you like the Momentums.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #12,412 of 46,506
To me it sounds like you might like the HD25/Amperiors too, when properly amped they sing.  But you said you are not happy with them.

But you know for sure you like the Momentums.

I am not impressed with amped HD25/Amperior. I much prefer them unamped. I kept my HD25 and I enjoy it very much, but with one caveat: I EQ it to get rid of the sibilance. That way, I enjoy it a lot. Still, the IE8 is phenomenal because it gives me warmth, smoothness, PRAT and energy in a single package. The IE8 is amazingly versatile, that's why I'm searching for its non-in-ear equivalent. Guess I'm not the type for very refined, wine-and-cigar sound, ha ha :) Then again, I realize that high-tier headphones and mp3 music may never be a good match, no matter the equipment.

I see several comments about the HD600 not being different enough from the HD650 for my taste. I did imagine that, but I'm still surprised. When the subject of a topic is "hd600 vs HD650", usually people make the difference sound much more noticeable :p

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #12,413 of 46,506
Thank you all for the replies. I'm just using an Apogee one at the moment for either my 650's of my K702's and i feel like i may be missing out on something. Tho the headphone out on the Apogee is better than that of the Motu 8 Pre. I just want a nice DAC and amp thats portable, reliable and changes the sound as little as possible.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #12,414 of 46,506
Quote:
Haha, thanks, but no. The K701 was actually the first full-size can I bought after discovering Head-Fi. Got it around 2006 or so. I didn't have "proper" amping at the time, but the K701 sounded incredibly dry and sterile. Shortly thereafter I got an ATH-AD2000 that's still with me and, if only it had a Sennheiser's bass, would be virtually perfect for me. But there's no way to get that bass out of the AD2k
smily_headphones1.gif

If anyone has read my comments about the HD25-1 II, they'll know I am very sensitive to sibilance and "hot" treble. That's why I think Beyers and Denons are out of the picture for me. But I've learned that there's no way to be sure you'll like a headphone, apart from trying it yourself. If only it weren't so expensive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Awww, no proper amping for the k701s is a big difference, I would say give them another chance
wink.gif
. Perhaps you could try to borrow or audition a friend's pair? or at a meet?. And as a whole most people agree they need quite a few hours of play time (or burn in) before they settle down into something really palatable
k701smile.gif
. If you were in TO, I'd consider lending you my k702 Annies... to me... they have a sound signature that's warmish like the 650s... but more sparkle in the trebles with a faster sound and more air to give it a more exciting sound. As mentioned, I'm not a fan of harsh trebles... but the Annies have been excellent.

As well, I might get flak for this... but I got a used aftermarket cable for my HD 650 for a good price they opened up a bit... sound was a bit more forward, treble and bass extension was better... the sound was tighter overall.  It's not a HUGE difference... like it still maintains it's sound signature... but just enough of that slight edge to make it a bit more pronounced to me. YMMV
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #12,415 of 46,506
What is reference Standard here? I went to a fabulous concert the other day. St Paul's Cathedral, London, Beethoven 9. Marvellous music making, marvellous experience. Left thrilled, but could I hear much of the inner detail in the wallowing acoustic? No. Not really. Likewise, the HD650s do some things amazingly, and like many other pieces of audio equipment, other things less well. Its a sound signature thing and I love it. You make your choice what sound you want at the price point when you buy...

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #12,417 of 46,506
Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. I'm just using an Apogee one at the moment for either my 650's of my K702's and i feel like i may be missing out on something. Tho the headphone out on the Apogee is better than that of the Motu 8 Pre. I just want a nice DAC and amp thats portable, reliable and changes the sound as little as possible.

I have Apogee Duet, and though I love it with my Grado HF2s, I've never been satisfied with the Duet/HD650 combo.  It lacks the horsepower.  I now use a CLAS db/Rx Mk3 combo and I'm giddy over it.  I'm now waiting on a balanced cable from BTG Audio, and I assume I'll be even more in love with this pairing.

I'm also waiting on my pre-order for my HiFi-M8 form CEntrance, which is an "all in one" combo.  I have high hopes that will play well with my HD650s...

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #12,418 of 46,506
egokun: If you're looking for a more "upfront" and "engaging" headphone, I highly recommend Grado headphones. I had the RS-1 many years ago (10+ years ago), and they were indeed fun headphones. I must warn, though, that they were a bit fatiguing over long periods of use, but... they might work for you, as everybody has different tastes. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #12,419 of 46,506
Quote:
egokun: If you're looking for a more "upfront" and "engaging" headphone, I highly recommend Grado headphones. I had the RS-1 many years ago (10+ years ago), and they were indeed fun headphones. I must warn, though, that they were a bit fatiguing over long periods of use, but... they might work for you, as everybody has different tastes. 

Good suggestion, but like you stated the Grados are extremely fatiguing(to my ears anyways). Another suggestion is the W1000x, it has the mids of the HD650 with a much more prevalent treble response while not being overdone, it is just more in your face with a very good sound stage for a closed headphone. Oh yeah, and very nice bass response as well.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12,420 of 46,506
Quote:

I love my HF2s.  But there's a good chance its because its a bassey Grado phone.  I wouldn't recomend the 325is, for it might be the most trebbley, and annoy you like the HD25s do.  They are fun, but most would agree Grado is the most love/hate bi-polar brand here on the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back