Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #12,121 of 46,518
Quote:
whats the best place to get silver cables for hd650 other than alo audio? Anything out there for less than 300 dollars?

I am using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I will not go into the SQ differences as I really don't want to be in the middle of debate on the merits of cabling. I bought them because they are shorter and I like the build quality.

May 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #12,122 of 46,518
Quote:

I am using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I will not go into the SQ differences as I really don't want to be in the middle of debate on the merits of cabling. I bought them because they are shorter and I like the build quality.

thanks for the info. i had come across that cable along with the blue dragon. i presume the silver is hidden under the grey cover. it looks good but i was hoping for something where you can see the silver itself . 

May 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #12,123 of 46,518
May 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,124 of 46,518
had a look there. great website and only across the water - really nice cables they are just what i was looking for. sound. longbowbbs  
bigsmile_face.gif

May 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #12,125 of 46,518
Yeah they look good, but 12 weeks is just too damned long for me....LOL

May 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #12,126 of 46,518
Quote:
had a look there. great website and only across the water - really nice cables they are just what i was looking for. sound. longbowbbs  
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #12,127 of 46,518
Can't read through 808 pages, but figured I'd post recent impressions. I had been listening to 650's through ipod touch 3, HiSound Anniv 3, liked them but didn't find it quite up to the hype (the HiSound was better-likely because it has more power-but I hate the UI). Recently got the National amp, makes a really big difference. The iPod/LOD/650;s are a really nice set up. (works nicely for the A900x as well, though they manage OK even without it). Had been tempted by the Lyr impressions, but I don't generally sit at my computer or stereo these days, like a portable I can knock around with, lay down in bed and listen, and these tube jobs seem too confining. Really happy with the purchase.

I did look through some of the thread, some people were wondering about walking around outside with the 650's. Assuming it's relatively quiet (as it generally is here in the 'burbs where I live), I have no problem outside with them-like to use them walking my dog. I'm older than the college kids who were posting, not too worried if I look cool or geeky...I did go into a coffee shop in the winter wearing them, the twenty year old (or so) girl working first complemented me on my cool earmuffs, then realized they were headphones, and went on and on about how she loved them, so maybe they're not as geeky in public as some assume (might have come in handy, along with my dog, with the ladies if I were single and 40 years younger...)

I Think I just saw what my future beholds.

May 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #12,128 of 46,518
Quote:
Quote:
Can't read through 808 pages, but figured I'd post recent impressions. I had been listening to 650's through ipod touch 3, HiSound Anniv 3, liked them but didn't find it quite up to the hype (the HiSound was better-likely because it has more power-but I hate the UI). Recently got the National amp, makes a really big difference. The iPod/LOD/650;s are a really nice set up. (works nicely for the A900x as well, though they manage OK even without it). Had been tempted by the Lyr impressions, but I don't generally sit at my computer or stereo these days, like a portable I can knock around with, lay down in bed and listen, and these tube jobs seem too confining. Really happy with the purchase.

I did look through some of the thread, some people were wondering about walking around outside with the 650's. Assuming it's relatively quiet (as it generally is here in the 'burbs where I live), I have no problem outside with them-like to use them walking my dog. I'm older than the college kids who were posting, not too worried if I look cool or geeky...I did go into a coffee shop in the winter wearing them, the twenty year old (or so) girl working first complemented me on my cool earmuffs, then realized they were headphones, and went on and on about how she loved them, so maybe they're not as geeky in public as some assume (might have come in handy, along with my dog, with the ladies if I were single and 40 years younger...)

I Think I just saw what my future beholds.

It really wasn't that bad...too many lip and piercings for my taste, but I thought the part about the headphones was cool. Really didn't expect a positive response to wearing them 
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #12,129 of 46,518
Are the blue, black, and silver dragon the same as far as cable management goes?  I have a pair HD600s that came with the blue dragon cable, and I'm deciding whether I need a separate cable for the HD650s.

May 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #12,130 of 46,518
For someone who already has some HD600s, can someone tell me if it would be worthwhile (an upgrade so to speak) to get a pair of HD650s. What would I be gaining and what would I loose in terms of sound quality. The only thing I have heard is that the bass would be better, is that about it, just more and perhaps better bass?

May 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #12,131 of 46,518
Not an upgrade, more of a sidegrade depending on preferences for sound signature. HD600 is very near neutral, good for studio work, while HD650 has slightly more bass but mostly a more "near" midrange like many other HP:s, something of a trend today. Using reason it's totally not worth it, but if you prefer a more "meaty" sound you may like it. Personally, I don't, I love "neutral"  :)

May 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #12,132 of 46,518
Quote:
For someone who already has some HD600s, can someone tell me if it would be worthwhile (an upgrade so to speak) to get a pair of HD650s. What would I be gaining and what would I loose in terms of sound quality. The only thing I have heard is that the bass would be better, is that about it, just more and perhaps better bass?

INTOXICATING.......MUDDY.........VEILED...........
u owe it to yourself to own one, and hear if its "worth it" ....there is life beyond the 600s, since u already had SOME
tongue_smile.gif

Am sure u will tweak n find your pot of GOLD given your experience. 

May 8, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #12,133 of 46,518
Not an upgrade, more of a sidegrade depending on preferences for sound signature. HD600 is very near neutral, good for studio work, while HD650 has slightly more bass but mostly a more "near" midrange like many other HP:s, something of a trend today. Using reason it's totally not worth it, but if you prefer a more "meaty" sound you may like it. Personally, I don't, I love "neutral"  :)

Can agree with this guy more. 600 vs 650 is all down to purely personal preferences. If you really want a comparison, go to www.innerfidelity.com and scroll down the page to find the 580v600v650 thread. If you don't already know the writer, he is Tyll a rather respected man here in headfi.

If you want a true UP-grade, and better sound quality overall, look somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back