Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #11,941 of 46,514
Quote:
I didn't get the headphone "soundstage" thing, my HD650s were pretty much  - left, right and middle.
I was on eBay when I saw a headphone amp on auction with no bids so I bid a few bucks which came out at $1.50. I didn't notice until I had committed my bid that postage was more than $40 - oops! should know better.
Well I thought that's not much more than the components for my O2 cost and when I looked at the specs I realised that the 4 chips (2xAD797 and 2xBUF634) alone would cost me about that so I felt a bit better about the cost. It was described as SR71A XP7, it didn't look like either of those RSA units so I guess it's more of a "homage" than a rip-off.
Got it yesterday, spent nearly all of today listening to all sorts of music (CD FLAC rips > ODAC).
Now I get the "soundstage" thing.
Love my 650s more than ever.

Had a similar experience with HD600 when I changed OP-amps on Xonar ST, not that the soundstage was bad before but it got way better!

edit. the soundstage improvement is very hearable through loudspeakers as well!

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #11,943 of 46,514
Quote:
Never got round to chip-rolling on my STX, maybe I'll give it a go. What amps did you use?

3xLM4562NA/NOPB instead of the original 1xLM4562 + 2xJRC2114DD. The big difference here being that the new LM4562:s are 3x newly manufactured units and apparently there have been some improving going on behind the curtains, possibly the JRC:s could degrade some stuff as well even if I don't know how  ... The result is flying in colors anyway  :)

I ordered mine from the largest electronics components e-tailer here, elfa.se, I had to wait a couple of weeks because they where out of stock.

Apparently so is the renowned Scottish High End HiFi-manufacturer Linn vey fond of LM4562 as well, as it is the dominating OP in their newest product line ...

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,946 of 46,514
Ugh, don't buy Sennheiser headphones, they're cheaply made, and have terrible sound. Most people only buy sennheiser headphones for the name and because they look good. if you want a pair of real audiophile headphones get Beats by Dre.

Is this sarcasm? If its not, then maybe you're starving; for not having a single meal in a week now.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #11,948 of 46,514
Quote:
He is right tho, HD650 looks better than Beats.

True
size]

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #11,949 of 46,514
beats of any kind vs hd650 - no contest in any department! obviously 

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #11,950 of 46,514
I don't think he's being sarcastic. Read his other 2 posts...
The demo beats in my local store have the PU flaking off the pleather ear pads - that's not cheaply made, much.
My "Cheaply made" HD650s are, after 3 years, physically as good as new (sonically, better).

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #11,951 of 46,514
The hd6xx do have a lot of plastic but is beautifully conceived and executed in it's design. I wouldn't treat them as rough as say, fostex t50's but they are build very well nontheless. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #11,954 of 46,514
Grados are completly modded from top to bottom, some even change the drivers, the earpads, the band, even the cups. Same goes for the Denon, the cup are modifier, the drivers damped. The Audeze earpards are just glued on, and that must be the most modifier cable headphone on the planet because it's so expensive, people cannot get over the plain looking factory cable.
People even repaint their HD800, which is awesome looking by the way.

Meanwhile the HD650 is so good, people don't mod it. Maybe one has tried to remove this foam and that, but stock sounds better.
Stock eapads are the best, and so durable. Headband is comfortable and classy.
Yeah the finish is kind of 'unique' nor cheap looking or especially top of the line, but it holds up really well to drops and knocks.
The HD650 is just good, and well thought out. Otherwise there would be way more mods for it like there is for every other popular headphones.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #11,955 of 46,514
I don't think he's being sarcastic. Read his other 2 posts...
The demo beats in my local store have the PU flaking off the pleather ear pads - that's not cheaply made, much.
My "Cheaply made" HD650s are, after 3 years, physically as good as new (sonically, better).

The headband of my hd650 started to flake after 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back