Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #10,486 of 46,514
Quote:

Microdetails and sense of space are better with HD650. I percieve HD650 as more detailed wiith more space around the instruments. 

Yes. The Detail. I was amazed to hear things I've not noticed before, like the backup vocals, the supporting guitar in the background, the little quivers in the vocals.

And somehow, each instrument has this 'complete' sound, meaning, it feels like it has its own space.

I haven't tried them with a tube amp, maybe I will sometime.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #10,487 of 46,514
Quote:
To each their own. I owned DT880 600 Ohm and while I agree that they are excellent headphones, they don't have the resolution and timbre accuracy of HD650, especially in the mids. The bass is great on both, but I think DT880 can't quite match HD650's realistic weight, impact and PRaT - Beyers are a little sterile/anemic by comparison.

This describes my opinion of the DT880 perfectly. I'm not saying it isn't a fine headphone. It's just not my cup of tea.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10,488 of 46,514
Quote:

A headphone is not supposed to be taking anything away either. That can also be perceived as "boring". But you are right DT880 is very natural.

I don't find the DT880 natural. I find it dry, to a fault.

But we all digress - this the HD650 *appreciation* thread, and I certainly do appreciate it. It's a great headphone for the money it can be had for, and it scales extremely well as your source/amp move up the food chain. You can't ask for much more than that IMO.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #10,489 of 46,514
From the Beyer offerings, DT990 is the closest competition to HD650 IMO, not DT880. DT880 is technically accomplished enough, although it's certainly not too far off. I think HD650 outperforms DT990 as well - the Senns are simply the more accurate, more natural sounding headphones - but DT990 puts up a very good fight and wins in some areas. But HD650 stand on their own for me when it comes to musicality. They are just beautiful, beautiful sounding headphones - so darn smooth its unbelievable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #10,490 of 46,514
A lot of people say the DT990s are a fairly V-shaped headphone... you really think they compete with the effortless, natural sound of the HD650s? I haven't heard the DT990s, I will admit, but the DT880s are fairly neutral I think.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #10,491 of 46,514
Quote:
A lot of people say the DT990s are a fairly V-shaped headphone... you really think they compete with the effortless, natural sound of the HD650s? I haven't heard the DT990s, I will admit, but the DT880s are fairly neutral I think.

DT990 is quite V-shaped indeed, but it is very smooth and never harsh when it's not supposed to be. The sound of DT990 is really clean, clear and controlled. It is also very dynamic, perhaps more so than HD650, although lacks the impact of HD650 in the lows. HD650 is actually more aggressive sounding overall - it emphasizes the body and power of the sound, while DT990 is more about definition and precision, outlining the edges of sounds better with less focus on the body. So they are very different in presentation, but both presentations are appealing in different ways, so it's hard to say which one is better. But I feel that HD650 definitely presents a more natural sound overall as its more full bodied, which, coupled with a somewhat narrower soundstage and a more prominent midrange, increases the sense of presence. For picking out small details, which I love to do sometimes, DT990 has worked better for me so far though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #10,492 of 46,514
Which amp is better for the HD650, Continental V2 or MK3B?

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #10,493 of 46,514
So here's a newbie question for all of you.  Is there a way to plug two headphones into an amp so two people can listen to the same thing at the same time?  Would a splitter work, or would it degrade the music?  Or a certain amp you could recommend that would do this?  

I have my friends come over and I demand they listen to my setup, I just want a way to listen to it with them.  Instead of me just watching them listen to it and nodding my head furiously...

Also it would be an excuse to get another set to compliment my HD650s.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #10,494 of 46,514
Yes, you can buy a splitter anywhere--two sockets attached to a single plug. As long as the headphones are the same the volume will be the same, although you'll need to turn the amp up a good bit to compensate for the extra load. Is there a danger of some kind of overload? Dunno. I've used my splitter a few times but never for a very long time or at great volume. Best to try it out first rather than risk a loud bang and a puff of smoke from your amp while your friends are there. Not cool.
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #10,495 of 46,514
Quote:
Yes, you can buy a splitter anywhere--two sockets attached to a single plug. As long as the headphones are the same the volume will be the same, although you'll need to turn the amp up a good bit to compensate for the extra load. Is there a danger of some kind of overload? Dunno. I've used my splitter a few times but never for a very long time or at great volume. Best to try it out first rather than risk a loud bang and a puff of smoke from your amp while your friends are there. Not cool.
tongue.gif

Yikes, now I'm scared.  Thanks for input though. :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #10,497 of 46,514
Quote:
So here's a newbie question for all of you.  Is there a way to plug two headphones into an amp so two people can listen to the same thing at the same time?  Would a splitter work, or would it degrade the music?  Or a certain amp you could recommend that would do this?  

I have my friends come over and I demand they listen to my setup, I just want a way to listen to it with them.  Instead of me just watching them listen to it and nodding my head furiously...

Also it would be an excuse to get another set to compliment my HD650s.

I know that there are amps with dual headphone jacks. Often they are different impedance to drive different types of hp's. The small fiio e07k portable that I has two jack with the same impedance. Haven't really tried it out though. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #10,498 of 46,514
Quote:
From the Beyer offerings, DT990 is the closest competition to HD650 IMO, not DT880. DT880 is technically accomplished enough, although it's certainly not too far off. I think HD650 outperforms DT990 as well - the Senns are simply the more accurate, more natural sounding headphones - but DT990 puts up a very good fight and wins in some areas. But HD650 stand on their own for me when it comes to musicality. They are just beautiful, beautiful sounding headphones - so darn smooth its unbelievable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

T1 blows the HD650 away.... but obviously not a fair fight.  I liked the DT880s but eventually sold them not being able to offer the bass I really wanted.  I contemplated trying the DT990s but figured why ***** around .... stair-stepping my way up..... I know I'll end up there eventually.  So I got a good deal on a barely used T1.  Everything you don't like about the DT880s , etc are rectified.  Wonderful phones.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #10,500 of 46,514
Quote:
I couldn't face selling the HD650 so upgraded the cable to [size=small]BA Nordost Valhalla and what a difference it makes![/size]
[size=small]Easily holds it own against the T1 and HD800![/size]

HD650.jpg

No. Just no. I'm one of the biggest HD650 fanboys on this forum and that bolded statement is outrageous to me. The HD650 is often lauded as a headphone that scales very well to what it's plugged into. The HD800 is the same, but many times over. The HD650 at its best cannot hold a candle to the HD800 at it's worst. <-- This is obscene hyperbole, but I need to bludgeon the point home. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back