Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #10,306 of 46,513
Quote:
I mean when you put them on...you have to stretch them a bit to get them on. 

I guess it depends on how B-I-G your head is...
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,307 of 46,513
Quote:
There's just more magic overall with my DT880s. That's why I love them. But yeah, if I'm in the mood for some vocals, I'll always put on the HD650s.

For me the HD650 sounds like a really nice old vine Lodi Zinfandel, while the DT880 is more like Mikes Hard Lemonade.

beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #10,310 of 46,513
OK I've been a big fan of the HD650 sice I got into this hobby a couple of years ago but up until tonight I have never heard them to their full potential, I have driven them with a Benchmark DAC 1, Violectric V100, Matrix M stage, Schiit Valhalla and some cmoys but I find now that where I thought they were performing well - nothing has prepared me for the sound that is now coming from the Woo WA6 with Sophia Princess upgrade. I have had the Woo for a while and thought yeah its ok but bought a Sophia Princess Rectifier today and am being totally floored by what I am hearing - so natural, open, wide, dynamic, I could go on but I wont :)This is synergy at its finest and the tube hasnt even burnt in yet - only 4 hrs on the clock. No upgrade has made as much difference to my system , if you have a WA6 you owe it to yourself to get the Sophia. Now if I had only kept hold of my Grados I am itching to hear how they would've sounded like with this combo but I can't imagine I would be missing much as this combo sounds amazing. I have an equinox cable on its way so I'll report back with my findings on that tweak when it arrives.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #10,311 of 46,513
Quote:
OK I've been a big fan of the HD650 sice I got into this hobby a couple of years ago but up until tonight I have never heard them to their full potential, I have driven them with a Benchmark DAC 1, Violectric V100, Matrix M stage, Schiit Valhalla and some cmoys but I find now that where I thought they were performing well - nothing has prepared me for the sound that is now coming from the Woo WA6 with Sophia Princess upgrade. I have had the Woo for a while and thought yeah its ok but bought a Sophia Princess Rectifier today and am being totally floored by what I am hearing - so natural, open, wide, dynamic, I could go on but I wont :)This is synergy at its finest and the tube hasnt even burnt in yet - only 4 hrs on the clock. No upgrade has made as much difference to my system , if you have a WA6 you owe it to yourself to get the Sophia. Now if I had only kept hold of my Grados I am itching to hear how they would've sounded like with this combo but I can't imagine I would be missing much as this combo sounds amazing. I have an equinox cable on its way so I'll report back with my findings on that tweak when it arrives.

I agree, the Woos, especially upgradedwith sophia princess have a good synergy with HD650

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #10,312 of 46,513
Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #10,313 of 46,513
Quote:

For me the HD650 sounds like a really nice old vine Lodi Zinfandel, while the DT880 is more like Mikes Hard Lemonade.

beerchug.gif

I'd say the DT880 is more like a nice dry Pinot Noir. Or maybe like a vodka red bull... 
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #10,314 of 46,513
i must be mad, guys. since i´ve been a member here i´ve already bought the t50rp, brainwavz HM5 and now i´ve blewn my (bank account) limits and ordered a HD650 from the bay.
my brother says i´m dumb spending so much money on headphones but its my hobby.

my gear is a dual core pc with xonar essence stx built in so would you say this soundcard pairs good with the HD650?

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,316 of 46,513
Quote:
i must be mad, guys. since i´ve been a member here i´ve already bought the t50rp, brainwavz HM5 and now i´ve blewn my (bank account) limits and ordered a HD650 from the bay.

my gear is a dual core pc with xonar essence stx built in so would you say this soundcard pairs good with the HD650?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646694/is-the-asus-xonar-essence-stx-and-sennheiser-hd650-a-good-combo

I would agree by the way it's pretty crazy to go bankrupt spending money on luxury items :p nofi

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #10,317 of 46,513

Where does your brother keep his money hidden? The Magni & Modi is only another $200.

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10,318 of 46,513
Should have waited! I'm selling my HD650. Absolutely no reason to keep them now I have my LCD-2.

Everything I love about the HD650, the LCD-2 do better. Even better than the HD800 which I will also be selling!

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #10,319 of 46,513
sure should have waited...anyway my brother has his money on a saving account, i´t´ll be a good idea getting criminal to subsidise my audiophil compassion, lol.

anyway i was just browsing the sales forum, when i saw that people were asking for HD650 with the silver driver. can somebody point me to an explanation of those drivers please (couldn´t find anything except for sale offers using silver driver hd650). thx

EDIT: ok found a link on the web about this silver driver

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #10,320 of 46,513
Be sure to check craigslist for deals too, especially if you're anywhere near a metro area.  I went from 0 to HD650 in $225 flat last week all thanks to checking my city's electronics classifieds on a whim.  1yo phones, no paint chips, silver mesh and everything.  I was pretty tickled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back