Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #10,156 of 46,554
Quote:
So I need a new amp for my hd 650's I was looking at the lyr and wanted to know if I purchased a turntable to play vinyl would I be able to hook it up to the amp?

You will need a phono pre-amp to hook most turntables to the Lyr

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #10,157 of 46,554
Quote:
So I need a new amp for my hd 650's I was looking at the lyr and wanted to know if I purchased a turntable to play vinyl would I be able to hook it up to the amp?

In short, no.  At least you won't be able to hook it directly into the Lyr (you could, the gain will just be extremely low, and won't be properly equalized). Vinyl records should be played back using the RIAA equalization curve (pictured below) to compensate for the inverse of the curve being used while cutting the record.  Essentially, if they didn't the records with the bass extremely rolled off, most tonearms would be thrown straight out of the groove. 

The signal will also need quite a bit of additional gain.  Moving Magnet cartridges will need ~30-40 dB of gain to get to around line level (~2V or about the output of a typical CD player).  Moving Coil cartridges may need anywhere from 50-70 additional dB of gain (consider that most active linestage preamps add anywhere from 6-24 dB of gain).  These are all rough numbers, but I think the point stands - we're not talking about a small amount of gain. 

Don't take this to be the same as someone saying that a Hifiman HE-500 won't sound right off of a FiiO E11.  Think of it more as if it would sound like someone took your computer volume and made it to where you can't get it louder than 2% and then EQ'd the bass down 20dB.  It flat out won't sound right.

The good news is that there are plenty of inexpensive phono stages that are quite good.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #10,159 of 46,554
Quote:
I think I have to try to find sometime in the coming weeks to head to my local Schiit dealer to listen to the Lyr. And I can start to see how tube rolling can become an expensive exercise.

So, judging by your comments the Lyr is more energetic amp with the HD650s, and the LD MkIV by comparison is a little laid back?

I think the HD650 does love tubes. I've tried 2 solid states (Violectric V100 and Graham Slee Solo SGRII) and though the sound is cleaner, solid states are not as musically absorbing then tube amps with the HD650.

Energetic, yes(because it has more power to deliver).  Dynamic, no, IMO.

I always have difficulties when terms "energetic" and "laid back" were use to contrast two equipment using different topology to begin with in how they differ in sound to a particular listener.  I really think the Lyr and the LD MKIV does not sound the same and there is no parallel plane to objectively compare one against the other.

So, if I have to say something about the two to compare them to the best I can, IMO, the OTL have better and richer midrange than the hybrid Lyr.  With the HD650 at 300 ohm/103 dB, dynamics could be only a function of how much source signal and how high your volume control is set to as the load is an easy load to drive.  I doubt it if the much higher power of the Lyr have an advantage on normal listening levels.  On very high spl levels, yes, until you fry the coil of the headphones.  

FWIW, there's a very big community(myself included) that are very happy and satisfied using high sensitivity(96 db and higher, horns, full range, etc.) speakers and low power SET amps.  Most if not all of us rode the conventional audio train(i.e. money pit) where big powerful SS amps, tube amps, hybrids etc  and speakers using planars, electrostatics, conventional etc. are the norm. Speaking only for myself, when I heard the low power/high sensitivity set up, I had a paradigm shift, then I punched my ticket out and never rode the same bus again.

Powerful amps does not mean more dynamics as the amp is only one part of the system.  My opinion only of course.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #10,161 of 46,554
Just got my 650's in the mail today!
I've been listening to them for about 5-6 hours and to be honest, I think I was expecting a little too much, or my ears just don't know the difference. (coming from the HD555)

To me, my HD555's just sound more... lively.
Although I have to admit, the 650's do reveal a lot more in the music. (forgive my lack of "audiophile term" knowledge.)

I am using a e7/e9 combo on my PC right now though, I'm thinking I need a better DAC/Amp to really bring out these 650's.
Hopefully the HD650's get better with more playtime!

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #10,162 of 46,554
Before people start throwing the E7/E9 under the bus here, just wanna state that the HD555 is more lively in general, due to not being as laid back/relaxed as the HD650. Its not a matter of your components, but you being used to the 555's sound.

The only thing I'd start replacing is the E7 with a better DAC, as the E7's warmth/smoothness doesn't do the already warm/smooth HD650 any favors in sounding more 'lively'. The E9 does the HD650 plenty of justice.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #10,163 of 46,554
Quote:
Just got my 650's in the mail today!
I've been listening to them for about 5-6 hours and to be honest, I think I was expecting a little too much, or my ears just don't know the difference. (coming from the HD555)

To me, my HD555's just sound more... lively.
Although I have to admit, the 650's do reveal a lot more in the music. (forgive my lack of "audiophile term" knowledge.)

I am using a e7/e9 combo on my PC right now though, I'm thinking I need a better DAC/Amp to really bring out these 650's.
Hopefully the HD650's get better with more playtime!

I went from HD555 to HD650 and my first impression was "what have I done!" the HD555s were so sweet, I was using Essence STX at the time (same headphone amp chip as E9, I believe), the HD650s were just so aggressive. I didn't really subscribe to "burn-in" but I left them running 24/7 at louder than listening levels for a several days, checking every evening - didn't seem to be much change, then one day they just sounded great, then there was another step-change after that. Perhaps my ears/brain took a long time to "burn-in", I don't know, but I certainly haven't regretted the change since. I love my HD650s.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #10,164 of 46,554
Quote:
I went from HD555 to HD650 and my first impression was "what have I done!" the HD555s were so sweet, I was using Essence STX at the time (same headphone amp chip as E9, I believe), the HD650s were just so aggressive. I didn't really subscribe to "burn-in" but I left them running 24/7 at louder than listening levels for a several days, checking every evening - didn't seem to be much change, then one day they just sounded great, then there was another step-change after that. Perhaps my ears/brain took a long time to "burn-in", I don't know, but I certainly haven't regretted the change since. I love my HD650s.

It took me several days to adjust to the sound of the HD650 as well, but I do believe you are the first person I've ever heard call the HD650 aggressive! It is one of the most laid back, chilled out headphones I've ever heard...unless you are just cranking the volume up to unsafe levels..
blink.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #10,165 of 46,554
Finally got my pair, I'm not taking them off for the next few days.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #10,168 of 46,554
Quote:
Who needs to shower when you have premium audio blocking out the bad mouthing from your stench in the background? :)

No matter how good or loud your headphones are, they won't block your own stench when it gets to a place YOU can't live with...

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #10,170 of 46,554

Users who are viewing this thread

Back