Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #9,992 of 46,513
They are VERY good. I have bought two sets of tubes from this guy and he stands behind his stuff. I have no problem giving my best recommendation. 

They came today and after letting them sit burning in the Lyr for about 4 hours I've listening for about 45 minutes. WOW. What a difference these tubes make! They're liquid and smooth with the HD650 but with plenty of detail, bass impact, and imaging. Compared to the Sylvanias that had been my choice out of three pair I have, these Amperex Oranges are like butter instead of margarine. Crab instead of krab. Champagne instead of Cold Duck. Holy crap, I'm in love man! Thanks again for the recommendation Matt. You were spot-on.

:L3000:

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #9,993 of 46,513
Great! I'm very happy with the combination. The power and dynamics are really good. Not quite the resolution and air of a better dac/amp, but very satisfying.

Completely agree. The Magni/Modi pair quite well with the HD650.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #9,994 of 46,513
Yussir... thread derailed indeed.
In any case...... Any LYR owners on here get the Magni yet? Been waiting for a decent report on magni+HD650 since it came out. Picked up a modi and prolly gunna grab a magni as well.

Had 'em all. Sold the Magni/Modi. They're great for what they are, but in the end they simply couldn't hold up to the Lyr and my CIAudio DAC paired with the Senns..

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #9,995 of 46,513
The Lyr is a big step up from the Magni--and it should be for $500 (with good tubes) vs. $100. The Lyr is warmer than the Magni--which isn't better or worse with the HD650, just a preference thing. The biggest difference (to me) is the airier presentation of the Lyr. It opens up the sound and leaves more space around vocals and instruments--resolving smaller details in the recording. I dislike the term soundstage because I see it used very differently, but some people would say the Lyr has a more expansive soundstage. The Magni is a little grainier than the Lyr--think of the difference between the Lyr's stock GE tubes which have some grain and bite as you move into the upper mids vs the more refined signature of the Amperex OG A-frames.

If you're A/B-ing the Lyr and the Magni this stuff is easy to pick out (with a good dac and a top notch recording), but listening to the HD650/Magni on it's own is completely enjoyable.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #9,996 of 46,513
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!

i think you need to more time to burn in your hd 650 before you can conclude

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #9,997 of 46,513
I think in all this arguing, everyone's initial opinion has been lost. Szoze, just restate your full thoughts on the HD650 and leave it at that. If you still think it's trolling after that guys then that's fine. I just think the actual core of this thing has been lost ever since someone attacked his musical preference for whatever reason.

I am not sure if it is worth my time to discuss this particular headphone (HD 650) at all. If thoughts from someone who actually has owned the model in question for 6 years are not appreciated in a thread like this, so be it. I just hope that anyone looking for a headphone well suited for classical music looks elsewhere. Thanks for your concerns.

Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #9,998 of 46,513
Quote:
They came today and after letting them sit burning in the Lyr for about 4 hours I've listening for about 45 minutes. WOW. What a difference these tubes make! They're liquid and smooth with the HD650 but with plenty of detail, bass impact, and imaging. Compared to the Sylvanias that had been my choice out of three pair I have, these Amperex Oranges are like butter instead of margarine. Crab instead of krab. Champagne instead of Cold Duck. Holy crap, I'm in love man! Thanks again for the recommendation Matt. You were spot-on.
L3000.gif

Glad that you like them!! The best way to appreciate the change in tubes IMO is to listen to the first set for weeks and have that signature burned into your brain. Then roll the tubes. My mental image of the old sound seem to be at it's best this way. 

Anyway, enjoy!!

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #10,000 of 46,513
Quote:
I am not sure if it is worth my time to discuss this particular headphone (HD 650) at all. If thoughts from someone who actually has owned the model in question for 6 years are not appreciated in a thread like this, so be it. I just hope that anyone looking for a headphone well suited for classical music looks elsewhere. Thanks for your concerns.
Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

I only asked what kind of music he liked and when he said classical, I figured the reason he doesn't enjoy the hd650 as much as most of us in here is because he prefers classical music, I mean my statement doesn't attack him or his preferences... it just imo states the obvious.... when I want to listen to classical music I would invest in something else... for me personally ? hd800.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #10,001 of 46,513
Had 'em all. Sold the Magni/Modi. They're great for what they are, but in the end they simply couldn't hold up to the Lyr and my CIAudio DAC paired with the Senns..

The Lyr is a big step up from the Magni--and it should be for $500 (with good tubes) vs. $100. The Lyr is warmer than the Magni--which isn't better or worse with the HD650, just a preference thing. The biggest difference (to me) is the airier presentation of the Lyr. It opens up the sound and leaves more space around vocals and instruments--resolving smaller details in the recording. I dislike the term soundstage because I see it used very differently, but some people would say the Lyr has a more expansive soundstage. The Magni is a little grainier than the Lyr--think of the difference between the Lyr's stock GE tubes which have some grain and bite as you move into the upper mids vs the more refined signature of the Amperex OG A-frames.
If you're A/B-ing the Lyr and the Magni this stuff is easy to pick out (with a good dac and a top notch recording), but listening to the HD650/Magni on it's own is completely enjoyable.

Thanks for your thots on this. I think i might go ahead and try one out and see how i like it in comparison.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #10,003 of 46,513
Quote:
Thinking of pulling the trigger on these headphones.

I mainly listen to hip-hop/rap, R&B, and some electronic music

Will these headphones be a good fit according to those genres?

the 650s are great all rounders.. not sure on electronica though for you.. u may want v shape headphones for that genre imo

what headphones have u listened to? 

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #10,005 of 46,513
they would be serve u well.. u will notice the big difference in sound quality.. look at my sig, i did own beats too..

but u have to put many considerations on this one... source, amp and music files plus burn in time for hd650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back